Hull maintenance in Southern Climes...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And after hand grinding the bottom of several boats because of paint buildup....I went with ablative.

Nowhere in my past or foreseeable budgets allow for me to pay someone to do that. And I never want to do it again.

You did several boats?

Slow learner...

I did one boat. Never again.

I figured there were thirteen coats on the bottom, by analyzing the paint chips.

And after hand grinding the bottom of several boats because of paint buildup....I went with ablative.

Nowhere in my past or foreseeable budgets allow for me to pay someone to do that. And I never want to do it again.

So it is absolutely a tradeoff, unless you are getting the performance you need out of a paint that solves all the issues good enough based on your use.

No perfect route. However, good care throughout can reduce the grinding aspect you dislike so and we do as well.

One problem too that many have is they didn't get to choose the original bottom paint or what the previous owners did. Changing types is a lot of work and expense.

Also, one's cost varies and frequency of care based on how important top speed and performance is to them. Typically, the faster the boat, the more the owner is concerned with maintaining top speed. I've seen many instances where planing boats were borderline powered and a dirty bottom or props caused huge problems. I know one underpowered surface drive that will barely plane with a dirty bottom and prop and the owner sends passengers to the bow to get it to plane.

Cool videos.

Is that normal to have two prop shaft zincs installed? My boat only had one on the shaft, and that's all the diver went back with. I only have one other zinc around the rudder shoe.

Should I have more?

I tried to get the diver to replace the Frigoboat keel cooler zincs but he said he couldn't find the cooler. :-(

Cool videos.

Is that normal to have two prop shaft zincs installed? My boat only had one on the shaft, and that's all the diver went back with. I only have one other zinc around the rudder shoe.

Should I have more?

Having two anodes on the shaft is a common arrangement and is cheap insurance. That said, since you are apparently not experiencing any corrosion issues with only one anode on the shaft- if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom