How to know which strainer gaskets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
I have 4 of what I was told are Perko sea water strainers in 2 different sizes. I can't find any stamped numbers on the bronze castings; there were apparently labels on the glass but they're long gone. How can I ID these to make sure I'm buying the right gasket kits? Just measure the diameters and buy whatever's close? Thanks.

I have 4 of what I was told are Perko sea water strainers in 2 different sizes. I can't find any stamped numbers on the bronze castings; there were apparently labels on the glass but they're long gone. How can I ID these to make sure I'm buying the right gasket kits? Just measure the diameters and buy whatever's close? Thanks.

Take pictures and measurements and match them up to the pictures and specs you should find online at Perkos web site.

Perko casts their name onto everything they make. Should be on the cap and the pipe size in inches near both ports. If if don't say Perko, it aint Perko.

The gasket kits are available in both cork and neoprene, get the neoprene.

Otherwise the pipe size is the determining factor for the strainer size, so look for an indication on any of the pipe fittings or hoses or measure.

:socool:

I have 4 of what I was told are Perko sea water strainers in 2 different sizes. I can't find any stamped numbers on the bronze castings; Thanks.

Attachments

• perko 493.jpg
    perko 493.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 333
If you have the old one, run down to your local fire department and see if you can mooch new hose gaskets from them. They are super durable and resist just about anything and you can probably get them for free. There are so many sizes of hose now that unless the diameter is weird they can probably fix you up.

ACE hardware makes a little gasket kit that has three types of material about 5" by 5" squares. Cut your own out of the maroon one. Keep the rest for other gasket needs as spare for future use.

Thanks, all. Looking closer, two are Perkos and I can find the right kit for them.

The other two have no markings except a design on the caps that looks like a mainsail. I've Googled various sea strainers and haven't seen a match yet. I'll try to post a photo later.

In the past I've replaced the gasket completely by cleaning out the groove/valley that the gasket sits in on the lid and then filling that valley up to its edges with silicone. Let it harden up, there by forming a permanent gasket.

In the past I've replaced the gasket completely by cleaning out the groove/valley that the gasket sits in on the lid and then filling that valley up to its edges with silicone. Let it harden up, there by forming a permanent gasket.

Interesting, thanks! One of the few uses of silicone I'd consider on a boat. :D

So here's one of the caps from the two non-Perko strainers. The design is the only visible mark. I feel like I should recognize it but don't. :popcorn:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 171
Groco
Buck Algonquin
Perko
Wilcox crittendon. Now gone unfortunately.
Spartan marine

I,m sure there are others.

You might also send them the photo you showed here to see if it is an older model or if they recognize the mfgr. Emblem.

Same strainer

I do realize this is an old thread, but angus99's strainer cap picture (post 9) and situation (post 1) got my attention. We have the same strainers on a trawler we recently bought. Angus, if you are still following, pictured here is likely the label you suspected was missing from your strainer which identifies the brand as W. H. Co., Ltd. I will try to attach a picture of my strainer cap, my strainer itself, and a close up of the label.

Attachments

• sea strainer lid starboard engine small.jpg
    sea strainer lid starboard engine small.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 35
  • sea strainer label from starboard engine copy smaller copy.jpeg
    sea strainer label from starboard engine copy smaller copy.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 44
  • sea strainer starboard engine small.jpg
    sea strainer starboard engine small.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 43
I just took mine apart. There is a groove for an O-ring on the cap where the threads end and the flat surface of the cap begins. However, there was no O-ring there at all. None. I guess I could use some "sea strainer 101" level education here. Both engines ran fine like this and stayed in great operating temps, but I would think the impeller had to be pulling a lot of air in along with water, right? How could it not? Like angus99 was doing when this thread started, I will now be looking for an appropriate o-ring.

I just took mine apart. There is a groove for an O-ring on the cap where the threads end and the flat surface of the cap begins. However, there was no O-ring there at all. None. I guess I could use some "sea strainer 101" level education here. Both engines ran fine like this and stayed in great operating temps, but I would think the impeller had to be pulling a lot of air in along with water, right? How could it not? Like angus99 was doing when this thread started, I will now be looking for an appropriate o-ring.

Thanks, AZ2Loop! Appreciate the followup.

Mine had home-made cork gaskets and, while still serviceable, I decided to replace them with larger Groco strainers that work better after I had to relocate them a bit.

Good luck with the O-ring search.

Thanks, angus99. I may have found some o-rings that will work in a packet of o-rings for a water filter system at a hardware store. It's a packet with 5 or 6 o-rings of various sizes, and only 2 are useful to me, but if I cannot find another source for just o-rings then this packet may do it.
I still don't really understand how the engines seemed to run fine with no gasket/o-ring at all in the strainers. I seems to me that the impeller would surely be pulling in a lot of air through the strainer lid into the cooling system like this, but my engines were running fine and staying at proper temps, and good flow of water out the exhausts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom