How I Fixed The Bungs on a Teak Deck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Larry, curious on whether you ground off the drill bits to make them the right length or cut off the shaft of them to do the same? Does the depth stop grip them ok or do you end up with a wobbly bit?

The drill bit length is adjustable on both of the counter sinks with Allen screws. The depth stop is also adjustable. I use it only as a safety stop though. If the stop hits the deck it will mar the teak. I’ve drilled using a standard 3/8” quality drill bit with a stop and found I had little depth control and I didn’t get a clean hole.

This is my current 3 piece favorite. The counter sink and stop both have two allen screws so it is assembled straight and drills with no wobble.

Attachments

• D008DB67-09C0-4B62-91F4-9F6BD336A3EB.jpg
    D008DB67-09C0-4B62-91F4-9F6BD336A3EB.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 61
  • CF1E5178-D88B-48C2-B33F-2DB5F652BBC7.jpg
    CF1E5178-D88B-48C2-B33F-2DB5F652BBC7.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 59
  • 8DBD5243-E7AA-4D06-AEE2-D247540D3433.jpg
    8DBD5243-E7AA-4D06-AEE2-D247540D3433.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
I adjusted the center bit easily but the stop stripped out .
I drilled and measured the teak .it seems to be 3/8 left is that good bad or ugly?i have been thinking they surely had to come off . But I would like to keep the teak if it’s possible to save it.

You should be good. I was taught that 3/8” of teak for decks is considered serviceable. That depth allows for a screw to be counter sunk to hold the plank with enough wood left over to secure a plug plus enough thickness for the caulk between the planks.

If the teak deck gets too thin, and you like it anyway, why not nail it with either bronze or stainless nails or simply let the screw be as they are, and forget about re-plugging the holes, just make the screws flush with the wood surface. Be like your deck at the house being nailed or screwed down. People like what others tell them to like, like nicely bunged teak wood decking..which is hugely expensive and lots of maintenance and eventually fails, destroying the underlying structures.. Last year I pulled up all the teak wood and found the entire under structure totally rotten. After repairing it, I have not put the teak back on. I actually think brown carpet would be better than teak.

My lower teak deck is fine as there is no plywood under it, simply teak planks on top of 2x4 wood.Yeah it leaks a little but so what, the water falls in to the Lazarette

Last edited:
Thanks all for the information. I am slowly replacing our teak deck bungs as needed. Today, for the first time in nearly 60 bungs replaced, I found one that was moist when I took the screw out. The area below the bung hole shows no sign of water leaking (so far). What techniques do you use to rebung a moist bung hole?

Thanks - Jim

Thanks all for the information. I am slowly replacing our teak deck bungs as needed. Today, for the first time in nearly 60 bungs replaced, I found one that was moist when I took the screw out. The area below the bung hole shows no sign of water leaking (so far). What techniques do you use to rebung a moist bung hole?

Thanks - Jim[/

Remove the screw, drill the hole to 3/8 all the way down to but not through the bottom layer of glass, fill with epoxy, and drive the bung in.

Thanks Karl.

Thanks Karl.

You are welcome. If it were me I would do that to every bung I replaced. The screws only serve as a way to wick water into the core at this point in time. Epoxy will seal the hole once and for all. My 2 cents :)

Nice photos. Good advice.

What thickness knee pads do you use? Buckle or velcro? Foam or plastic?

. What techniques do you use to rebung a moist bung hole?

Thanks - Jim

I don't know about the above statement... it just sounds wrong...

But ... I'll take a go at it...

Do you fill it up with caulk??

Sorry, by Friday I guess I look for the humor in anything.

HOLLYWOOD

Back
Top Bottom