Old 06-17-2011, 12:13 PM   #21
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
RE: How do you keep your Air Cond system growth free

They're probably both doing the same thing, except the Cu foil is so thin, it's noticeable much earlier. I like the larger surface area of the foil as well.

Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:41 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2

Since the corrosion rate of copper in moving seawater is around .001 inch per year it doesn't give waterborne corrosion particles zipping through the system much chance to do anything. It's a talisman at best.

RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:03 AM   #23
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Well welcome back Rickbee. It was so nice around here while you were gone. Now we have to put up once again with you arguing about everthing you don't know about. *Don't go away mad rick, just go away.

And once again, it does work.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #24
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic

I don't see him arguing about anything... I see him stating what he thinks or understands about the subject. Let's keep it civil, please.
Tom.B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Newburyport, MA
Vessel Name: Kairos
Vessel Model: Hunt Express 36
Hi Folks,
My forward ac condensation drains into the main bilge. The rear drains into a dedicated "bilge box" and pumps overboard. I seem to be having a black slime issue in the main bilge that creates quite a smell. I should also note that I am in brackish water most of the time. Any thoughts to address the bilge slime/smell issue? I've tried bleach but it doesn't seem to help.

Thanks,
Donny
DonnyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:20 PM   #26
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Maybe you could connect the condensation drains to the shower drain and have the presumed grey-water pump that water overboard without having it contaminate the bilge?
Old 09-04-2012, 09:22 PM   #27
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by timjet View Post
Yes the raw water strainer.
Wow, you gave me a fright. What do you do?
I recommend Bromide tablets.... I have three separate Mermaid units, each with its own strainer and pump.... I put a couple of tablets in each one of the strainers....and it keep growth down. I talked to Mermaid about it, and they said it was a good thing.
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:33 PM   #28
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyP View Post
Hi Folks,
My forward ac condensation drains into the main bilge. The rear drains into a dedicated "bilge box" and pumps overboard. I seem to be having a black slime issue in the main bilge that creates quite a smell. I should also note that I am in brackish water most of the time. Any thoughts to address the bilge slime/smell issue? I've tried bleach but it doesn't seem to help.

Thanks,
Donny
Donny, I would suggest that you run the forward ac condensate to a sump that has a float switch and will pump it out.

The only thing that is nastier than ac condensate in the bilge is shower water... My forward ac did the same as yours, and I never had a dry bilge. We liveaboard full time so the ac's are running much of the time, especially in summer. For the forward...I had a discharge thru-hull just above the water line...I rerouted the condensate line to it as opposed to constructing a sump and putting in a pump.

The aft two ac's drain their condensate to a sump that is float switched and pumps it overboard.... I have a dry bilge now. Smell is better also.

To get rid of the smell that lingers....try getting your bilge as dry as possible, then dump about 20 gallons of vinegar in the bilge....let it sit. You could also run the boat to swish it around or do that with a mop.... After pumping the vinegar out...and airing out the bilge...if the funky odor is still there....you may have to do a serious cleaning with TSP.
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:11 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Newburyport, MA
Vessel Name: Kairos
Vessel Model: Hunt Express 36
Thanks everyone. I will route the condensate drain to the shower sump. I have not detected any growth within the system so will hold off on the bromide, but keep it in mind.
DonnyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:20 PM   #30
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyP View Post
Hi Folks,

Thanks,
Donny
The condensate has nothing to do with the salinity of the water the boat is in. The condensate is water that the system has removed from the air inside your boat.

Any manufacturer who drains AC condensate into the bilge ought to have his license to build boats revoked. It's a terrible idea.

If the AC unit is above the waterline (mine is), the best practice is to plumb it directly overboard with a hose and through hull fitting.

If not, plumb it into a shower sump (you can buy these, it's a small box with a bilge pump and float switch) and plumb the discharge overboard above the waterline.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #31
Veteran Member

City: League City, TX
Vessel Model: Californian 30
I live in Clear Lake Texas and last year I never had any issues with the strainer getting gunked up for my AC. This year however I have been having to clean it weekly because the green slime is growing like crazy, and apparently turning to black slime if not cleaned off regularly.

My condensation from my AC does drain into the bilge, but thus far I've had no odor problems coming from my bilge but since it's above the waterline perhaps I should route it to drain overboard. Any issues just using a T to hook into my sink drain?
ERJpilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:24 PM   #32
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERJpilot View Post
I live in Clear Lake Texas and last year I never had any issues with the strainer getting gunked up for my AC. This year however I have been having to clean it weekly because the green slime is growing like crazy, and apparently turning to black slime if not cleaned off regularly.

My condensation from my AC does drain into the bilge, but thus far I've had no odor problems coming from my bilge but since it's above the waterline perhaps I should route it to drain overboard. Any issues just using a T to hook into my sink drain?
If there's no trap in the sink drain above where you connect the condensate drain, it could introduce odors into the boat through the sink drain. Other than that, as long as it's downhill from the AC pan, I can't see a problem with it.

I like a dry bilge so I recommend you find some way to drain it overboard.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote