Old 12-01-2019, 08:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: St. Joseph
Repair old steel fuel tank?

I dug this 47-gallon steel tank out of the bilge because it was weeping fuel. My initial plan was just to replace it, but now I’m wondering if repairing it is viable or a fool’s errand, particularly since it is forty years old and has spent its life in the bilge.

At this point, I plan to clean it up, inspect, and pressure test it to find the leak. If the leak appears repairable, I was thinking about going that route. What’s the wisdom from those of you who’ve dealt with this issue before?

Thank you!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8633.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	97046Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8638.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	202.5 KB
ID:	97047
cdsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:29 AM   #2
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
You have the original to use as a pattern to have a new one built out of plastic. Go that route.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
TF Site Team

City: MX, thru Canal to Bahamas
Vessel Name: Muirgen
Vessel Model: 50' Beebe Passagemaker
You've already done the hard work of removing! Personally, I would not attempt to repair a 40 year old tank. It's not easy to remove and replace, I would rather have a new tank fabricated and installed. Good for another 40 years!
slowgoesit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 09:13 AM   #4
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
You've already done the hard work of removing! Personally, I would not attempt to repair a 40 year old tank. It's not easy to remove and replace, I would rather have a new tank fabricated and installed. Good for another 40 years!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
You have the original to use as a pattern to have a new one built out of plastic. Go that route.
This. I'd seriously look into having a new one fabricated. Best start fresh. It'd be hugely annoying to have it just patched and then fail again somewhere else.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:44 AM   #5
JLD
Guru

City: Delaware
What the other folks have already posted.

Plus, if you ever decide to sell the boat, having a new (or newish) tank instead of a repaired original tank has to be a plus!

Jim
JLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:53 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
My son recently had his boat hauled for a different purpose, but had access to and replaced the fuel tank. It was a 40 yr old steel tank, hung from the cockpit floor in his 32' sailboat.
Replaced with a plastic tank, cheap, easy, reliable.
Why compromise?
Old 12-01-2019, 11:12 AM   #7
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
JLD, and the others are right. Replace it. But like JLD points out, any buyer "in the know" will appreciate the new tank. You may even recover the cost when you sell but for sure it will be a great selling point.

It looks like you have twin Lehmans. 47 gallons is really a pretty small tank but how did you get it out with the engines in place. The tank in your pictures really looks larger than 47 gallons. I'm guessing there are a couple more tanks in your boat of the same vintage. What are your plans for them ?

Good Luck,

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hey Pete,

Yes, twin Lehmans in an Albin 36. She has two lateral tanks holding - reportedly - 175 gallons each that gravity feed the 47-gallon keel/centerline tank. Fuel pick ups are off the aft end of the keel/centerline tank, and each engine returns fuel to its respective lateral tank. My plan for the lateral tanks is to leave them alone until A) they become an issue, or B) we have the time and money to replace them before they're an issue. When/If that day comes, I plan to cut them out and, hopefully, fit smaller poly tanks in their place.

As far as this tank is concerned, replacement is what I had planned. I was just "testing the waters" here to see what kind of feedback I'd get. It's 100% predictable so far - and appreciated.

Thanks,

David
Old 12-01-2019, 11:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Here's how I did it: https://youtu.be/DrBST_Rz__0
Old 12-01-2019, 11:45 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I would absolutely not try to repair the old tank, it will just leak somewhere else. Have a new tank fabricated to fit like the old one. If you go with aluminum then go extra thick so you will have a longer time before it corrodes through.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:52 AM   #11
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Interesting stuff:

Old 12-01-2019, 01:09 PM   #12
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
API sets standards for petroleum storage tanks. Repaired to spec, why not? Questionable repair? Never.
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:16 PM   #13

City: Tasmania
Vessel Model: Sea Ranger 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Agree, thanks for posting.
Southern Boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Update: I pressurized the tank once I had it home and confirmed a pinhole on the bottom of the tank. Forward end of bottom is badly corroded. Tank sat atop plywood support in the central portion of the bilge - bad design.

Verdict: Replace it.

Thanks for the input.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:14 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
If you put in a metal tank put non absorbing pads on the bottom and seal them completely to the tank so moisture can’t get between the pad and the tank.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:31 PM   #16
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Curious with two 175 gal tanks, what is the advantage of a third 47 gallon tank. (besides another 47 gal).
If it were me, I would be considering not replacing it at all and tapping into the two others direct. Have you cruised the two main tanks empty and needed this to get to a fuel dock?
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 04:42 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Curious with two 175 gal tanks, what is the advantage of a third 47 gallon tank. (besides another 47 gal).
If it were me, I would be considering not replacing it at all and tapping into the two others direct. Have you cruised the two main tanks empty and needed this to get to a fuel dock?
Steve,

I'm guessing it was Albin's solution to equalizing the tanks without adding a manual selector. We certainly could plumb each engine to its respective lateral tank. Eliminating the centerline tank would remove about 400 lbs from low in the boat. Given that she's a twin, losing the weight would be nice, but I'll admit I rather like the idea of the additional ballast down low. Is that weight needed for some design reason? I don't know.
Old 12-01-2019, 04:53 PM   #18
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsailor View Post
Steve,

I'm guessing it was Albin's solution to equalizing the tanks without adding a manual selector. We certainly could plumb each engine to its respective lateral tank. Eliminating the centerline tank would remove about 400 lbs from low in the boat. Given that she's a twin, losing the weight would be nice, but I'll admit I rather like the idea of the additional ballast down low. Is that weight needed for some design reason? I don't know.
Ballast usually does not change. would they design a fuel tank as ballast and not expect you to drain it. I would think it is an added bonus for a long trip, nothing more.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:00 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo-Valley View Post
Ballast usually does not change. would they design a fuel tank as ballast and not expect you to drain it. I would think it is an added bonus for a long trip, nothing more.
Yes. This is a centerline tank that sits lower than the lateral tanks and is gravity-fed by both, meaning it is always full - unless the lateral tanks are emptied, which I suspect is highly unlikely. So though it may not qualify as ballast, practically speaking, it is. Whether it's really necessary or not, I don't know - probably not.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:03 PM   #20
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsailor View Post
Steve,

I'm guessing it was Albin's solution to equalizing the tanks without adding a manual selector. We certainly could plumb each engine to its respective lateral tank.
The draw from engines is not typically equal between tanks, and then there's a generator. Which would typically get it's own pickup to avoid starving/being starved by engines.

There's probably as many schools of thought on fuel tank isolation/management as there are ways to connect them.