Old 08-23-2014, 10:11 PM   #21

City: Valley Springs
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 1979 42' CHB Europa
Well, that plan went down in flames as soon as I laid it out. I stuck my head way down in the bilge and got a light down there and found two beams running athwartships at each end of the hatch. I'd have to cut a support beam to install a larger hatch and that ain't gonna happen.

So on to plan "B". I removed both toilets and the platforms they were on. Tossed the toilets and took the platforms home to replace the formica. If I cut out the plywood under the platform (there is about a 6" void) it would give me access to the bilge alonside the hull. I still have to determine if I can get over the huge stringer to get access to the holding tank and all the wiring. This is plan b because I really wanted a quick and easy access to the bilge and removing a toilet is not my idea of easy. Anybody with a taiwan built 42' boat have any ideas? A lot of us have the same hull, just a different superstucture.

Lollygag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:03 PM   #22
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Bummer. :-(

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:06 AM   #23
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Access hatches are becoming a priority for me too. My bilge monkey is 13 years old and though he saved the weekend for us recently pulling a new bilge pump wire the fact remains he eventually won't be there when I need him.

Captain Bill, is the access any better on the large yachts you've ran?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 12:36 AM   #24
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
In most cases yes. But depending on the builder they can still put stuff in stupidly small or inaccessible locations. And if there are access plates or hatches still manage to make them barely large enough to be use full.

But at least you can stand up and walk around the engines. :-)
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:40 AM   #25

Oh, how I wish that were true.
Old 08-24-2014, 01:57 AM   #26
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
But at least you can stand up and walk around the engines. :-)

Oh yeah, if only

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
On my 40, many things come up and over the stringers where little access is, occasionally through a sill plate like piece of wood where floor boards are like in the engine room.

On my Albin...most things ... wiring, plumbing steering lines are routed along the outside of the hull. drain lines for showers, toilets (which I have rerouted), and bilge pumps are down the center.

Suggestions...totally reroute to easier locations, use long stiff conduit to route plunbing, wires that you can't get in to run/support any other way, and/or mount pumps/accessories on plates of aluminum or other non-rotting material that can be slid into place and then the plate fastened somehow.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:58 PM   #28

Another idea

So, on to plan "C". Going in through the head sucks. I could probably do it but I wouldn't have easy access and every change or repair would be a nightmare. So I took another look and decided to put in a second hatch, right above the existing one, resting on the same cross beam and extending across the passageway. This will leave me with a 15X21 hatch I can fit in (if I don't gain weight.)

The ouside of the tape is the inside of the new hatch. I'll route out the edges and trim it the same as the existing hatch.

I didn't want to do this because it won't look as good as a single hatch and it's right outside the guest berth door, but doing it this way let's me use the plug as the hatch and match the teak and holly. Maybe. Hope I'm that good.

This is a look at the passageway with the existing hatch open, showing the nightmare on E dock, and the location of the new hatch that should give me access to clean it up.

Anybody see any roadblocks?

If you look in there you can see the board that goes from one stringer to the other with two pumps and a Rue Goldberg hose setup. Hey, it works but I'm pretty sure I can make it look good too by removing the board, mounting the pumps ON the stringers and routing the hoses and wires in a little more organized manner. You know, shipshape.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #29
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Weird that we have EXACTLY the same boat (year & model) and yet so different.

Mine has parquet flooring and TWO hatches. One about where you are, and another at the foot of the master bunk. I can get my 6' 1" 230# bulk into both and close the hatch. It looks like your bilge is much shallower (if that's the right word) than mine. I'll have to take some pictures for ya.
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:58 PM   #30

Really! I know they used to give a hull to a family to build but usually they followed a general plan and looked the same with dimensions sort of variable. I think I need to get on a lot more 42' taiwan boats and see what else there is.

Did you see anything that looks like a dealbreaker?
Old 08-30-2014, 04:49 PM   #31
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
If you haven't done so yet then use a small mirror and flashlight to get a look see under the area you are considering cutting a new hatch.

SOme cell phones do a wonderfull job of photos in tight places.

A friend was using his new Samsung for that and it was amazing where it could be gotten in to. To boot all he had to do was talk to it saying "SHOOT". Split second later you would hear the 'click' and the photo was taken.

But try to get a view for obstructions or if you can enlarge it a bit. Another inch could make a world of difference.

I know this is likely too late but we been out on the boat too much.[????]
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 09:06 PM   #32

C lectric, that is exactly what I did. I also bought in inspection scope from harbor freight ($75) to get a better look inside but the camera works better where you can reach.

I really don't want to cut a hole in my boat. I've looked all over in there, removed about 100' of wire from the 'lectra-san systems and disconected one of the pumps. I have a better view, located the hose to the holding tank fittings and can see where the hoses go to the toilets and showers but still can't reach everything. Today I figured out how to connect everything and change the shower drains from dumping in the bilge... If I could get to them. I also measured hight from the water make sure everything would drain without a pump. Maybe. One of the pumps in the bilge was for draining the tub, it's about an inch above water level.

Bottom line is I can connect the new toilets and feed water lines through the hole I have and, with colorful language, connect to the holding tank. I can't get to the tub drain, the shower drain or the water tank hoses. I have everything laid out and the saw on board but am looking for a reason not to do it.