Help identify this tool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wanna-b

Veteran Member
Going through my new boat I came across this tool. Thinking it’s a hose clamp. Let me know if you recognize it and if it’s missing a piece. Thanks

Attachments

• 77221207-08DB-4884-BDEB-C6AD184CD517.jpg
    77221207-08DB-4884-BDEB-C6AD184CD517.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 136
Going through my new boat I came across this tool. Thinking it’s a hose clamp. Let me know if you recognize it and if it’s missing a piece. Thanks

It will loosen the cap on your raw water strainer.

Yep, strainer wrench, don’t throw it out. I have one for my Groco strainers.

I have one and it fits all the deck fillers for fuel and water, and even sanitary pump out.
Must be old school, have had one on most every boat I owned

I use a small deck key for the fill caps, just easier than the big wrench.

And if your real lucky, the pin size is different when you flip it over. Makes for a very useful tool. Can be used for lots of stuff, you’ll see.

Cheers

Adjustable spanner wrench if you want to impress your dock mates.

Opens the caps to fuel, water, and waste tanks on deck. Also opens raw water strainers. Kinda important tool to have on board.

An adjustable spanner is in the UK, and other parts of the world, what we, in the States, refer to as a crescent wrench.

Last edited:
An adjustable pin spanner wrench is what it is. An adjustable spanner can be all sorts of things.

Drinking saloon or hair salon. Clearly, we need a new name for that special boat room.

saloon (n.)1728, Englished form of salon, and originally used interchangeable with it. Meaning "large hall in a public place for entertainment, etc." is from 1747; especially a passenger boat from 1817, also used of railway cars furnished like drawing rooms (1842). Sense of "public bar" developed by 1841, American English.

Always thought Salon, but by the end of a long day I need a nice G&T in the Salo - oops maybe it is indeed Saloon RT :thumb::thumb:

I know those as a pin wrench and others have stated their intended purpose.

Greetings,
Interesting range of descriptive terms for that tool. When I had our 25kw Onan generator serviced, the "mechanic" (and THAT is a stretch!) used what I know as flare nut wrenches to remove the injectors. He had a different name for them...

iu

Also interesting is Mr. G's reference to a Crescent wrench (post #15) which I know as both an adjustable wrench AND a Crescent wrench. Crescent is the trade name that has stuck for that particular tool probably because Crescent may have been the first or the most prolific manufacturer of that particular style of wrench.

Similarly, a generic item such as facial tissue is commonly referred to as Kleenex around here.

Last edited:
My deck filler tool:

Attachments

• DSC_1344.jpg
    DSC_1344.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 51
Greetings,
Interesting range of descriptive terms for that tool. When I had our 25kw Onan generator serviced, the "mechanic" (and THAT is a stretch!) used what I know as flare nut wrenches to remove the injectors. He had a different name for them...

iu

Also interesting is Mr. G's reference to a Crescent wrench (post #15) which I know as both an adjustable wrench AND a Crescent wrench. Crescent is the trade name that has stuck for that particular tool probably because Crescent may have been the first or the most prolific manufacturer of that particular style of wrench.

Similarly, a generic item such as facial tissue is commonly referred to as Kleenex around here.

He probably called them line wrenches.

Also will work on the capstan caps of some windlasses, like my Ideal.

Back
Top Bottom