Old 10-21-2013, 08:37 AM   #1
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Helm Seat

I am thinking of replacing our flybridge helm chair. I have looked around at a few, but they all have different bases that ours. Is there an adapter plate? Any ideas on fitting a new chair would be great.

Thanks!

P1030816 by GonzoF1, on Flickr

P1030817 by GonzoF1, on Flickr

Old 10-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Probably easier to remove the plate from the chair frame, and mount it to your new chair.

Ted

"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
that base looks pretty bulletproof, if it's ugly why not recover, if it's uncomfortable have a good auto upholstery shop rebuild it and add support to it where needed.
why actually replace it?
HOLLYWOOD
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:32 AM   #4
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
If I already had a strong base like yours appears to be, I'd do what I could to adapt the seat I want, for sure. A strong and attractive slip collar could be easily made at a local welding shop that does alum. and SS. Pulling that base out of there and re-drilling for a new base would only weaken the area.

Another thought would be to use the current mounting holes to fasten a thick mounting pad from glass, starboard or aluminum, and then from the underside of the new mounting pad, countersink the studs to mount your new pedestal.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:56 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by healhustler View Post
If I already had a strong base like yours appears to be, I'd do what I could to adapt the seat I want, for sure. A strong and attractive slip collar could be easily made at a local welding shop that does alum. and SS. Pulling that base out of there and re-drilling for a new base would only weaken the area.

Another thought would be to use the current mounting holes to fasten a thick mounting pad from glass, starboard or aluminum, and then from the underside of the new mounting pad, countersink the studs to mount your new pedestal.
I have thought of both of these, but trying to adapt the upright to a new seat seems like the best idea. However, I was HOPING to get one that adjusts height (the current one is about right at it's lowest, but I would like to go lower) like an office chair. An air shock, perhaps? I am not sure I could graft a new-fangly system onto an Jurassic upright, but I could be wrong. Moreover, trying to fabricate my own version of a mount might not end up with the most optimal results.

I guess I need to get on the phone to manufacturers and see what they recommend. Maybe they fabricate adapter plates. Who do y'all like?
Old 10-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #6
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
I was HOPING to get one that adjusts height (the current one is about right at it's lowest, but I would like to go lower) like an office chair.
I've always thought that the adjustable base on my salon table would make a great helm seat base. Mine has a very substantial "crank" (Not seen in the photo) that allows easy adjustment to height. Here is one idea for an adjustable base, depending on what your budget is.

Springfield Marine Adjustable Height Pedestal-73363 - Gander Mountain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Table Base.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	23946  

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #7
Guru

Tom: Is your pedestal made from SS or Alum.? What outside diameter is the seat tube, assuming it is the approx. inside diameter of the pedestal tube. I'd be out at the local marine thrift shops looking for a piece of something to make it work. If you want to make the adjustment level lower, you can't cut and weld the tube? Yours looks nice.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #8
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
It sort of looks like there is a slip tube, a seam, that starts a few inches above the foot rest and then extends to the collar with the set screw. If that is the case than could you not simply cut an inch or two from the base of the slip tube.

If not then get the riser tube cut and rewelded. Find someone who can do a GOOD job.

That does look like a nicely done and strong pedestal base and seat base and those babies are usually not cheap or as well done if new unless big $.

Look like S.S. to me.

Just double check how much adjustment there is at the top to see if after cutting the tube there is enough adjustment left although even that likely could be added to.
C lectric is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:33 PM   #9
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Find the welder used by local restaurants for their stainless steel kitchen equipment. He will tend to be the cleanest local TIG welder. Doubt you'd even notice your desired mods once he's done cutting and welding it back together.

Agree that's a great looking base and pedestal and spendy to replace.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #10
Guru

Good idea about the restaurant equipment shops. Just be sure though that they use 316L rod. Hopefully they will have it or can get a small supply. At least approach them.

I've seen some work done at local sheet metal shops that is excellent, but as mentioned they also did resaurant work.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:56 PM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by C lectric View Post
It sort of looks like there is a slip tube, a seam, that starts a few inches above the foot rest and then extends to the collar with the set screw. If that is the case than could you not simply cut an inch or two from the base of the slip tube.
No... Sorry. Solid tube from floor up to the collar in the first pic. I could probably cut the tube and have a new collar put on (or reuse the old). But I syill need to get a new chair to mount into the old tube. Anyone put a new seat on old stand like that?

I suppose I should have been armed with a bit more info before posting this. I don't have the tube sizes. Sorry.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #12
Guru

Yeah, I wondered about that "seam". Likely it was a reflection of the foot ring.

I see two screws that go through the ss tube frame into the seat base which is likely plywood. The other two screws, out of sight I assume, would make four.

Measure the ss tube seat platform and the seat base and check any new seat you are considering to see if it will fit and be refastened.

Even if you have to add a piece of something like Starboard to make an adapter between the tube frame and the new seat it should not be difficult to reuse the existing pedestal.

If need be drill a few more holes and add some extra screws.

Although a different seat and base, I did the same. Most seats, I think you will find, are a flat bottom and should not be hard to adapt. Unless of course you are after a Stidd or similar.

The only fly in the ointment will be if you have to lower the seat more than the existing setup will allow. Even then I think you will be ahead, overall, to get it cut and rewelded.

You have a good pedestal that I suspect will be expensive to replace + the need to then redo its mounting to the deck. I'll bet the existing holes will not line up with any replacement.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
that base looks pretty bulletproof, if it's ugly why not recover, if it's uncomfortable have a good auto upholstery shop rebuild it and add support to it where needed.
why actually replace it?
HOLLYWOOD

For what it's worth, we did remake the seat cushions and new foam since that picture he posted. He's hoping for one of those cool new captain chairs with bolster.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	helm chair.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	169.8 KB
ID:	24003  
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #14
Guru

Easy enough to do an upgrade on that Helm Seat, but you may have to change the name of the boat to "Deep Dipin". May as well go with Joystick control and a glass of champaign ILO the coke.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	helm chair upgrade for skinny.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	24005  
Old 10-22-2013, 08:41 PM   #15
Guru

Nicely played,sir. There is one other factor that, while i would LOVE a chair like that, the current post , I think, is too close to the wheel for it. I will get that measurement next wee too.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #16
Guru

Tom & Bess: My own chair is identical to that one, except my trim and footrest are SS. I've always had one of those four-legged helm chairs that I could simply lift to the side and I haven't been able to commit to bolting down something like that yet. I dunno. Meanwhile, I'm dressing up my pilothouse in preparation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	helm seat front.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	24007  
Old 10-22-2013, 09:38 PM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
When we replace the upper helm seat on Bay Pelican we were able to reuse the existing stand by drilling the plate and then use the new holes to bolt a Todd seat into place. Not an exotic high class seat but then the seat was exposed to the weather 24/7.

We have since abandoned the upper helm seat in favor of a cocktail table.

Marty

Bay Pelican is offline   Reply With Quote