Old 03-25-2010, 08:43 PM   #1

Haul Out Frequency

My boat is located in southern calif.* My bottom paint has lasted 4 years so far and the bottom cleaning guys tell me the bottom paint is still "fair".* They change the zincs once in a while and my corrosion control system and meter seem to all be working well.
My question is:* How often to haul out?* If bottom paint can last for 5 years or more, then why not wait to haul out?* I usually dive the boat in the summers to check things out.* Everything looks good thus far.

Any suggestions on how frequently one should haul out??

Thanks for any input.

Steve

Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:47 PM   #2

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Trawler
RE: Haul Out Frequency

I'd think 5 years is a good number but if you dive under it and eveything looks good I don't see
anyreason you could keep going. As long as your thruhulls and stuffing box is in good
condition Id think you could make it 10 years or
more

albin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: -

Up here two years seems to be the average time between haulouts for bottom painting. It will depend on the type of paint as well as the environment in the marina, but most boats, regardless of the type of paint, start to look pretty raggy on the bottom after a couple of years in our marina. We went three years once and would probably not attempt it again.

It also depends on how much one uses their boat. We run it year round which helps cut down on the barnacle growth on things like props, shafts, and rudders. Boats that just sit get more bottom fouling faster. On the other hand, we use ablative paint, so the more we run it, the faster the paint comes off. It's a Catch-22: the more we use the boat the faster the paint sloughs off so the better of an anti-fouling job it does but the faster the paint goes away. But if we didn't run the boat and slough off the paint, it would lose its anti-fouling effectiveness relatively fast, so even though the paint stayed on it wouldn't retard growth very well.

But if you have the boat dove on periodically and everything looks good, than as Jakob says, why not keep going? No sense in fixing something that ain't broke yet
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #4

We're in the PNW too and we have the bottom cleaned by a diver every three months then haul and paint the bottom every two years. In our marina boats with ablative paint can not be scrubbed by divers. I use a hard bottom paint and have had good luck with the dive team that cleans the bottom and replaces the zincs.
Steppen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:07 PM   #5

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Model: Albin 43 Trawler

The USCG has a five year inspection on commerical vessels so around here alot of the boats only come
out when the inspection is due. Liveaboards usally do around 5 years. One guy is on about 10 with a steel boat. But like Marin said there's alot that can be different in different areas.
I'd think you could go longer in fresh water then salt.
albin43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #6
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356

As needed!!!! If it looks good, leave it alone!
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:35 AM   #7
Scraping Paint

One advantage Steve has is that he can have divers clean the bottom of his boat periodically. Our marina has gone one step farther than Step's and does not allow any in-water bottom cleaning at all regardless of the type of paint. So we have divers replace zincs and check the condition every six months but they cannot do any wipe-downs.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:17 PM   #8

Your marina does not allow any bottom cleaning?
That's the first I have heard of that.
Is that due to the potential environmental damage that the paint can do?
How do you keep the bottom clean?

Steve
Taras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #9
Scraping Paint

It's a rule that was put in place in our marina about three or four years ago. The reason is environmental. Wiping down a bottom with ablative paint on it puts large clouds of "stuff" in the water, some of which is the copper in the paint. So from a strictly environmental point of view the restriction is probably a good idea. So far as I know these rules are set by the individual marina operators--- I don't think there is any sort of state requirement (yet).

Apparently some marinas up here differentiate between ablative and hard bottom paints. Ours does not.

Eelgrass, which grows in waters less then about 30 feet deep around here, is a critical element to marine life in the PNW, sheltering fish and providing a breeding ground for the little shrimp and other critters that provide food for everything from Dungeness crabs to young salmon. Given the damage done to the native salmon and steelhead populations for a whole host of reasons, there is much more awareness in the region now of what affects marine life. One result has been a number of new regulations aimed at protecting existing eelgrass beds and promote the formation of new ones.

Pollutants like copper and other heavy metals getting into marina waters as the result of cleaning activities is seen as another threat to the life in nearby shallow marine zones.

Divers in our marina can change zincs, do underwater repairs on hardware, and remove barnacles from props, shafts, and through-hulls. But that's it. I don't notice any growth on our bottom in the normal 12 to 18 months we go between haul-outs. We use Petit Ultima SR on our bottom, which has a very high copper content. At every haul-out the bottom is basically clean other than whatever barnacles have managed to attach themselves to the prop hubs, shafts, and rudders. We have a large, full-service yard attached to our marina (Seaview North) so hauling out for us is matter of untying the lines and idling about 200 yards into the Travelift so it's not an inconvenience.

Mpre than you wanted to know probably, but that's the deal up here. Given California's general attitude toward environmental issues like this I'm surprised this restriction hasn't been put in force down there, too.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:03 PM   #10
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

We been hauling out every three years.**I would check with your insurance compnay what they recommend as they usually like to have the hull inspect/surveyed when it hauled.*
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan

Quote:
Marin wrote:Given California's general attitude toward environmental issues like this I'm surprised this restriction hasn't been put in force down there, too.
It's coming! I hear rumors of "copper contaminants" increasing in San Diego Bay and some marinas have conducted surveys on the bottom paints used.

Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:56 PM   #12
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Marin,
I see you are active. I just read your older post on bottom paint. Your post interest me for the following. I have purchased my first (Last Boat?) fiberglass. With my older wooden trawler I hauled and painted once a year and changed zincs. This is a normal happening with wood boats up here.
Now with the fiberglass the sense is to use fiberglass bottom paint which is very very expensive. Perhaps two years without a in the water scrubbing, which is possible yet not a service here, perhaps a friend with gear type of thing.
So. with your mentioning sluffing off of your bottom paint, I sense that you are using the same product that wood and commercial fiberglass boats use (Slow hull speed). Is this acturate or is there more than I am seeing in the post.
Thanks,
Al Johnson
Marben 27' pocket trawler
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:26 AM   #13
Scraping Paint

I replied via PM prior to seeing the above post.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:51 AM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
We haul every 2 years to check the bottom, and get our boat surveyed every 4 years while on the hard.

For boats over 27' and older than 10 years of age, most insuring companies want to see a new condition and valuation survey every 5 years.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:12 AM   #15
Guru

City: Perth
Vessel Name: M/V SOLSTICE
Vessel Model: Hendo "Special"
Annually haul outs is what we'll be doing.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #16
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendo78 View Post
Annually haul outs is what we'll be doing.
Same. I like to just keep tabs on what is going on under there.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
I tend to get two and a half to three years between haul outs here in Queensland, and the water is warm most of that time. That's using Micron Extra hull and Propspeed on the running gear, and we don't do a high mileage either.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:51 PM   #18
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
I let my diver tell me when its time. Every 5 months I have a diver check, replace the zincs, prop/running gear and the hull. A diver cost 1 to 2 hundred bucks where as pulling cost 500 to 1,000 bucks. I would ask other boaters in your area/marine how what they use and how often they pull. Most of the commercial trawler in the Puget Sound use a epoxy hard bottom paint with a high copper content. I use Pettit, Trinidad epoxy with a high copper content. We pull every three years, diver every 6 months, and have a hull survey done each the boat is pulled.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:19 PM   #19
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Greetings,

Gee, I hadn't thought there would be a reactivation on the thread! Enjoy each and all. Again, we don't have the diver service readily available, it has to be a friend with gear who will do it for his friend type of service.
Our harbors are very active with electrical defects that eat up the zincs requiring prudent annual replacement.
One can use the harbor girds and do both bottom cleaning, painting and zincs. It is a economical advantage for the healthy, young, elastic boaters, which I did in my earlier boating day. Now- Not so much. The yard haul fits the physical view, particularly as I stand by and watch!!
To the insurance fellow. No need for survey- only carry liability insurance to protect me from those bad things that go bump in the night!.
I use our boat quite a bit during the open months so the sluffing of soft paint would be accomplished. In the end I will listen to my Yard owner who interacts with all forms of hulls and conditions.
Again, thanks to all, been fun.
A.M.Johnson-Ketchikan
27' Marben pocket trawler
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #20
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
I let my diver tell me when its time. Every 5 months I have a diver check, replace the zincs, prop/running gear and the hull.
Phil,

You have a name to recommend? We're on the Freemont cut.