Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #21
Guru
 
BruceK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 7,579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris and Roger View Post
.. Can I get so feedback on a yearly haul out time. Just had it done in fall for survey and bottom was painted. I guess spring would make more sense if the bottom needs painting
I determine when to antifoul by its condition. rather than a set timetable. For example, a long period of wet weather can add nutrient = more growth. You can extend by using a diver who should air/jet wash, not rub or brush the a/f, and he can report a/f and anode condition. Running gear, prop/shaft/skeg is vulnerable to early fouling, that may show up in vibration and reduced speed. You should get a year +, it just varies, if you can gain a few months here and there it all helps with running cost.
We can a/f all year round, I imagine your winter would prevent that, so it may be different for you.
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
BruceK
Island Gypsy 36 Europa "Doriana"
Sydney Australia
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:11 PM   #22
Veteran Member
 
City: Port Washington,NY
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Sweet Chariot
Vessel Model: Present 42
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 25
Thanks Ron,
In warmer waters do you paint yearly? I know use, salinity and current are factors just dont want to add too many layers and of course expense. We will have a monthly dive scrub. One of my other boats a Whaler is 27 years old and the hard paint added tremendous weight and bulk over the years.
Chris
__________________

Chris and Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #23
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris and Roger View Post
Thanks Ron,
In warmer waters do you paint yearly? I know use, salinity and current are factors just dont want to add too many layers and of course expense. We will have a monthly dive scrub. One of my other boats a Whaler is 27 years old and the hard paint added tremendous weight and bulk over the years.
Chris
In my area, it's common to have a diver clean the boat. In the summer it can be as often as every three weeks. In winter, about every six weeks. The diver schedules the cleanings.

I don't paint yearly, I pretty much wait until the diver complains about the loss of effectiveness of the paint. I bought the boat in March 2008 and have only painted once.

I suppose at some point it's advisable to have all the paint removed and start over. Next time I have to paint I'm going to ask about it.

Many layers of paint on a slow trawler is much less of a problem than it would be on a planing boat.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #24
Member
 
City: Bobbin Head
Country: Australia
Vessel Name: FIVE STAR
Vessel Model: 2012 Beneteau Antares Flybridge
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 22
Thanks all for your comments,
I have the electrician coming to check the anodes and bonding.
I will talk to the the antifouling guys about putting a more harder wearing paint on the metal parts when we plan to antifoul in October.
I am fairly sure it has soft antifoul on at the moment.
Regards Scott
__________________
2012 Beneteau Antares
Bobbin Head, Turramurra, NSW Australia
ScottA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #25
Guru
 
Codger2's Avatar
 
City: San Diego
Country: US
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 5,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
In my area, it's common to have a diver clean the boat. In the summer it can be as often as every three weeks. In winter, about every six weeks. The diver schedules the cleanings.

I don't paint yearly, I pretty much wait until the diver complains about the loss of effectiveness of the paint.

__________________
Codger2

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #26
Guru
 
City: North Charleston, SC
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 4,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Thanks all for your comments,
I have the electrician coming to check the anodes and bonding.
I will talk to the the antifouling guys about putting a more harder wearing paint on the metal parts when we plan to antifoul in October.
I am fairly sure it has soft antifoul on at the moment.
Regards Scott
Petit and probably the other major manufactures have paint selection guides on their websites. Ablative is probably not the best choice for a trawler, but use one of these guides to select the best paint for your area and typical boat use.
__________________

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012