Hatch Repair

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbullendsl

I have an older Bomar ventilation hatch aboard my boat. The dog has become detached from the acrylic and I'm looking for a solution to permanently reattach it. The hatch is in good shape otherwise, I've replaced the hinges, the seal is good. The dog was originally attached with ultrasonic welding but newer designs have a bolt thru the acrylic. I've already tried a couple of solutions that haven't worked. I inquired of Bomar through a retail parts outlet and was quoted a price over $625 for a solution, no details on what it was.

What I've tried: JB Weld Plastic bonder, 3M extra strong double sided tape, and a UV curing bonding agent (as seen on TV). Non can withstand the pull to secure the dog.

Any ideas or solutions welcome.

DaveB

Greetings,
Mr. db. Thanks and Hmmmm....

giphy.webp

Greetings,
Mr. db. Well, my initial thought was drilling a hole and using a mechanical fastener BUT that will probably impart stress in the acrylic potentially causing catastrophic failure, sooner or later.

I suspect the $625 "solution" is a new hatch with the possibility of a similar de-bonding in the future. Hmmm....

I haven't been in exactly this situation, but my first attempt would be 3M 4000UV. It is primarily a sealant, but has really good adhesive properties, will be flexible enough to hold even as the acrylic bends a bit, and doesn't degrade in UV. While it isn't 5200 -- it still has a pretty good adhesive bite and very long life. And, if it doesn't work, it can be cleaned off and any residue won't affect most other things.

Pack the hole and any broken area with baking soda. Add Superglue (cyanoacrylate). It gets hard as a rock!

Seriously. check it out on Youtube

pete

In addition to 4000UV, after dry, you could also drill through the UV fitting and add thru-bolts, also bedding them in 4000UV. If you do that, I'd make a similar sized round backing plate, clamp it, and drill through it, too. Then, 4000 it down and go through it to spread out the pressure. The plate could be black starboard, UV resistant plastic, etc.

I might try just 4000UV first, then add the backing plate and thru-bolts and redo if that doesn't work.

Cheers!
-Greg

Solved

Went back to my first solution, JB Weld Plastic Bonder in black. This time I used a more liberal application of the product and a deep throat C-Clamp from Harbor Freight to hold the latch to the lens while the bonder cured. It appears to have worked! The bond is semi flexible so there's a slight give, but I can secure the dog tight without any issues.

We've found that G-Flex 655 works on almost anything; plastcs, hypalon. May need to heat treat some hard plastics first. Check with Gougeon Bros.

Back
Top Bottom