Hatch idea suggestion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Got rid of those sharp corners ,bunged and sanded . Deck frame also done . Now it's ready for varnish . The air is too damp this week , even under cover to varnish outside. My wife does the varnish . Maybe just maybe I can talk her in to doing the varnish in the dinning room:flowers::flowers:. She won't have to cook this week because varnishing in the house and cooking does not work .:nonono:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 65
Really looks good, you mite consider raising it up to table hight :hide: it just to nice for people to step on :thumb:

Damn Pack! You are one fine wood butcher.

Thanks Jim and Parks . Jim it's as big as small picnic table.

That's a sweet looking hatch, Marty! I could use you over here to do some of my finish work! Bring the Admiral along too.

Thanks Larry but I think we both need Ted's guy Sean . He is amazing . I would like to just hang out with him in the shop for a month or two .

Looks great Pack, I think I'd tape off the teak and caulk, then sand and varnish over the caulk. Remember this is a deck hatch and it's going to get scuffed up a lot over a years time. It'll be a lot easier to varnish over the whole thing rather than tape off the caulk each spring. When you caulk, remember to use a glue brush and acetone or lacquer thinner to wash the grooves to remove most of the teak oil so the TDS caulk will stick better. If you tape the teak first, you won't have any caulk on the teak surface after caulking. It's easy on a small job like this and will save a lot of teak that won't have to be sanded so much. I've done thousands of square feet of teak decks and hatches with TDS guys. When you run the seams with the flex putty knife to flatten them, the caulk will shrink about 1/32 of an inch, giving a concave caulk surface so the teak will wear but not the caulk seam. If you want an absolutely flat surface on the hatch, don't use the putty knife and leave the proud caulk bead. When you sand after the caulk has cured, the caulk will sand easily down to the taped surface and you'll have clean teak under the tape. Much faster than sanding through caulk stained teak. Again, it's a beautiful job! Ben

Got rid of those sharp corners ,bunged and sanded . Deck frame also done . Now it's ready for varnish . The air is too damp this week , even under cover to varnish outside. My wife does the varnish . Maybe just maybe I can talk her in to doing the varnish in the dinning room:flowers::flowers:. She won't have to cook this week because varnishing in the house and cooking does not work .:nonono:

VERY nice!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

tego. ,
Thanks , I have done the varnish caulk thing both ways . I'm not sure which way I like best. I caulked my rails first and then varnished and on my door panels I varnished first the caulked . The flex putty knife is diffidently the way to go . This is a pic of my door panel varnished first then caulked .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 48

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom