Hatch dogs (hatch latches) leak fresh water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kit_L

Vessel Name
Suu Kyi
Vessel Make
Custom 40' catamaran
See the image (a generic one taken from the net). The four that hold down my ER hatches leak, a surprising amount, and we have had a horrendous amount of rain this year.

The latches are old, and I assume their O-rings are worn out. I would like to repair them, but I have not found any YouTube videos to help. I am assuming that an O-ring sits on the shaft, but I have not seen one taken apart. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-29 at 16.20.38.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-10-29 at 16.20.38.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 16
Some "dogs" need to be really screwed down tightly to get the water seal. Are you being lazy and not getting them tight?

pete

@RT: yes, that's the next step!

@PeteM: yes, they are as tight as they can be (the design limits exactly how far each can be turned). The tightness can be adjusted, though. That will be step 2; step 1 is to take apart and see if/where the alleged O-rings live, and their fit.

As well, on removing the four screws that hold the top plate, I saw that they were not sealed, but I think the majority of the incoming water is coming down the shaft, as it sits in a 'well' created by the casting.

Boxes of up to 1000 O-rings of various sizes are (?were) available on Ebay at remarkably modest cost. Even some allegedly petroleum product compatible. I bought some, no complaints.

Here's an exploded view of the hatch dog

See how flat the O-ring is? Not doing a damn thing!

I will take up @BruceK's suggestion of an ebay pot pourri of O-rings; no doubt these will come in very handy.

Looks like a simple fix, now I see how it's supposed to work. Might make a YT video about this, seeing as nothing's available there. Thanks for everyone's replies!

Attachments

• IMG_8170.jpg
    IMG_8170.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8171.jpg
    IMG_8171.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 13
And O-rings ordered. Delivery within the week; duct tape in the meantime!

I had the same problem and replaced the entire unit rather than take them apart and rebuild. I only needed 2 and they were not expensive. Between the spring and the pins, I wasn't sure I would be able to get it back together. Good luck, seems you should be fine. Easy to check under a kitchen faucet.

Greetings,
Mr. KL. Wonderful. It's gratifying to see that the "dog" is actually serviceable unlike many parts that are either factory sealed or made of such material that disassembly destroys any hope of a repair/re-build. Good call on the O-ring.

@RT: agree completely. And our collective supposition was right—once I took the spring pressure off the shaft, it rattled in its hole—no sealing happening there. I will reassemble with rubber grease, too, once the O-rings arrive and I select the 'right' one. And I will Sikaflex the four bolts in place, too.

I have been thinking about what @PeteM suggested, too; and I will check this as the second step. Adjusting the dog tension is easy, but as far as I could see, no water is getting in from the edges of the hatch (and the rubbers are in excellent shape, the gutters are deep and drain from all four corners, plus the weight of the hatches themselves help the seal). All the water was just running down that shaft!

Back
Top Bottom