Has anyone used out of date teak caulking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delta Dog

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Plan B
Vessel Make
1982 Ocean Alexander 43
Here's our dilemma, we started on the deck, removing the old caulking and now the weather report says we will have rain by Tuesday. We have ordered our SIS 440, but it won't be here until Wednesday or Thursday. We do have an old tube that is a few years past it's use by date, what happens if we use it anyway? Has anybody done this?

Open it and see. I think it`s more likely to solidify than lose it`s other properties. If it doesn`t flow nicely, it really can`t be used.

That is way too much labor to risk using old caulking. I would tarp it until the rain passes and you have new material, then go ahead.

“Several years” past the due date is very risky, in my book. For the record and in direct response to your question, I have not tried it.

I agree it is way too much work to not do it right. Buy a big tarp.

I have used SIS 440 that was out of date and it was fine...HOWEVER it was always stored at my house at basement temperatures (50-55 F).

Open it and see. I think it`s more likely to solidify than lose it`s other properties. If it doesn`t flow nicely, it really can`t be used.

:thumb: I asked TDS about the expiration date and it’s what Bruce said. The date is about solidifying in the tube.

I don’t use anything expired no exceptions. I like to do things once and right. What are you going to save? Aggravation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom