Old 11-27-2012, 11:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: PNW
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 1974 Meridian Yachts Pilothouse 48
Repair/Restoration Facilities in the PNW - Any Recommendations?

I'm contemplating hiring the services of a full shop & crew to expedite repairs to my new-to-me boat. Baggett and Sons in Bellingham has been recommended by a couple of different boat owners and Charlie has been quite responsive.

I have no idea what the estimate will be, but off the top of my head, this is what I'm looking at:
Replace some windows, brightwork repaired, leaks chased down, some fiberglass work, boat polishing, replace old lighting, and if my budget allows, carpeting & some updating to the heads and saloon.

Anyone have firsthand knowledge of B&S's work? Other suggestions for quality facilities?

Thanks for the info!
AKMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
As a suggestion get a "firm" quote and schedule from B&S (ouch name ) and then get same from a few good others such as North Harbor Diesel, Delta or Port Townsend. You might even go to Northern Marine in Anacortes and ask them if they'd provide a quote.
sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #3
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMary View Post
I'm contemplating hiring the services of a full shop & crew to expedite repairs to my new-to-me boat. Baggett and Sons in Bellingham has been recommended by a couple of different boat owners and Charlie has been quite responsive.

I have no idea what the estimate will be, but off the top of my head, this is what I'm looking at:
Replace some windows, brightwork repaired, leaks chased down, some fiberglass work, boat polishing, replace old lighting, and if my budget allows, carpeting & some updating to the heads and saloon.

Anyone have firsthand knowledge of B&S's work? Other suggestions for quality facilities?

Thanks for the info!

Most of the repair I would not do until summer to make sure the boat/wood is bone dried. The month of July, august and September are the only months I varnish, paint repair the exterior as the rest of the year its so cold and wet. I would tarp the boat for now.

Most of the items on your list can be done by yourself. Mostly cheap grunt work. Chasing leaks can be an every year, so you might as well learn how. Take your list, prioritize and take them one at a time. Do not over whelm your self. If you need some information/help let us know as there is nothing on your list that some of us have not done before.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

City: PNW
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 1974 Meridian Yachts Pilothouse 48
Sunchaser - I'm working on a Firm quote as well as searching for other reputable outfits. With all of this being new to me, I'm a bit lost when it comes to comparing work/costs, but I'm learning. Thank you.

Phil - Thanks for your confidence in my budding skillset! Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of time. I travel for work quite a bit and am living on the boat when I'm home. I gotta stop the rain sooner rather than later and that involves exterior work. I hate the thought of leaving it for weeks at a time with the weather seeping in. The timing for moving on board couldn't be worse, but I'm still happy to be on the boat.
AKMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKMary View Post
Sunchaser - I'm working on a Firm quote as well as searching for other reputable outfits. With all of this being new to me, I'm a bit lost when it comes to comparing work/costs, but I'm learning. Thank you.

Phil - Thanks for your confidence in my budding skillset! Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of time. I travel for work quite a bit and am living on the boat when I'm home. I gotta stop the rain sooner rather than later and that involves exterior work. I hate the thought of leaving it for weeks at a time with the weather seeping in. The timing for moving on board couldn't be worse, but I'm still happy to be on the boat.

The Eagle was a California boat and had several leaks and delimitation under several of the salon windows, and the teak rails and decks need repairing TLC. I talked the surveyor and old salts that advised to tarp/shrink wrap the boat and cover the windows with plex a glass to prevent further damage. We went several winters like that, and I still tarp the front deck, have plex a glass over the windows and canvas the pilot house and stern deck, so it's still 80% covered. Our neighbors refer to the blue canvas and front tarp as the Eagle condom! Our neighbor that live on a 50 ft sail boat has a full canvas covering, which is what I would like to have but to cheap to spend the 5 grand, when a 50 buck trap works just as well. Our other neighbor sub rented a boat house for the winter.

Anyway, I would only due what has to be done and can be done during the winter months. It took us 3+ years to get all the items done. Also make certain your boat does not get held/stuck in the yard. Some yard do let you live on the boat while working on it.

I will check with the marina and the bulletin boards today.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
I have no experience with Charlie/B&S's work, but I am familair with it. He was very active on several sailing forums I belong to, and I've followed his company from the very start. From what I've heard from others and seen in pictures, it appears his work is top notch. You can find some good examples on sailnet.com and anything-sailing.com Based on what I know, I would hire him in a heartbeat if he were in my area.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:57 PM   #7
Guru

Gads, you are turning your power/motor boat over to a person who is known to work on SAIL BOATS. That almost as bad as turning to the DARK SIDE! Probable get it back will a tall stick on it.

Most of what you have mentioned can be done right at your dock with the boat in the water, so maybe find moorage close to a yard/area. We did all the stuff you mentioned with the Eagle in its slip. Being close they came to the boat rather than taking the boat to them!

If you would send me your personal email address, I will email you a listing of the haul out and yards in the Puget Sound area. Most yards listed are full service yards. When on Lake Union, we used Canal Yard a full service yard, limited covered area, and Seaview West is also a popular full service yard with some covered area. Both allow other to work in their yard, so your boat is not held hostage. Port of Everett is also a full service yard with limited covered area which I have used for the last 4 years.

Most work above the water line can be done at your dock.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
Guru

Last night I saw that some of you requested the yard listing for the Puget Sound. However this morning they are not there. So please send me a new Person email with you private email address. you can send to rw58ph@yahoo.com

I also have a listing of the marinas for the Puget Sound,