Old 09-16-2015, 06:25 AM   #21
FF
Guru

3 ,,, advantages for Grey teak,

1.Better no skid

2 will hold far more water cooling the deck to walk on and perhaps the cabin below.

3 does not wear out. or wear you out with endless cosmetic work.

Shoot on sight guests that bring potato chips on deck.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:20 AM   #22
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

No need to shoot them any more. Just keep some K2r around to easily deal with the oil spots. In fact K2r has even caught on to the fact crews have been using it to spot clean teak for years and now have a "marine" packaged version of their traditional can.

K2r Marine Cleaners, Boat Cleaners, Teak Cleaners, Spot Remover

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:03 AM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
3 ,,, advantages for Grey teak,

1.Better no skid

2 will hold far more water cooling the deck to walk on and perhaps the cabin below.

3 does not wear out. or wear you out with endless cosmetic work.

Cedar siding and cedar fencing have the same issue. There was a huge lakefront condo development near us in NC. Few people knew what a beautiful brown cedar color the entire community once was as three years after construction it was grey. When it came time to stain or paint, they never tried to go brown again, just became known as that pretty grey condo development.

On the other hand we've chosen to keep our teak the brown teak color. It's not taken nearly the effort some think. But then we did get to care for it from it being new and didn't inherit someone else's care or lack thereof. It only really takes one person, one time, not knowing how to care for it and using chemicals and methods they shouldn't, to make it become an ongoing issue.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:06 PM   #24
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Its going to be sunny today, with nothing that has to be done. What to do, so I decided to apply another coat of varnish to the front deck bright work. A couple of hours lightly sanding and varnishing. Better than yard work any day.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 12:38 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
Its going to be sunny today, with nothing that has to be done. What to do, so I decided to apply another coat of varnish to the front deck bright work. A couple of hours lightly sanding and varnishing. Better than yard work any day.
Might I ask why you decided that rather than actually getting out on the water?
Old 09-16-2015, 12:52 PM   #26
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. BB. Well, P/F hasn't been around much so you may not know but he's a boat owner more so than a boater...
Old 09-17-2015, 12:43 AM   #27

When we bought our boat the PO used teak oil and it was butt ugly after the foot traffic wore a path in it like a old carpet. One of the first things I did was to sand it off. I was comfortable doing that because there was plenty of thickness to the decks. they were beautiful in their new raw state. After that I never have done anything but wash in salt water and occasionally with soap when washing the boat. When at anchor I will dip a bucket and brush lightly with the long handled boat brush and then go back to my book. Reduce your upkeep, retain your salty factor and leave'm alone.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2773.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	133.1 KB
ID:	44656   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2786.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	44657   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2785.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	136.2 KB
ID:	44658   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2768.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	44659  
The Great North West
Slowboat 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:57 AM   #28

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Dear Slowboat,
Great photos but the top photo leaves me asking, what did you do to the left side to restore the great color?
Thanks!
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:21 AM   #29

That was after the sanding. I should have mentioned that the finished photos are just wet with water after hosing the dust off. The decks sure were pretty like that but it doesn't last.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2770.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	44673   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2780.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	44674   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2782.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	44675  
The Great North West
Old 09-17-2015, 01:34 PM   #30

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Lady Di
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
The difference in the top photo is quite stark!
Since our teak is 3 years old it looks like some sanding and saltwater cleaning may do the trick.
Sand with the grain? Grit #?
rclarke246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:43 PM   #31
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclarke246 View Post
The difference in the top photo is quite stark!
Since our teak is 3 years old it looks like some sanding and saltwater cleaning may do the trick.
Sand with the grain? Grit #?
From what I have seen, properly sanding teak involves skill that only comes from experience. It is easy too easy to 1) take off more than necessary, 2) end up with an uneven surface and 3) damage the caulking to the point that it all needs to be replaced. $2,500 seems to be the going rate for an experienced buy to do my cockpit and mezz deck, probably a total of about 150 sf. If the caulking is already significantly damaged/leaking, that will be extra.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 01:48 PM   #32

I used a 5 in. random orbital vacuum sander. It's been awhile but I think the grit was 60,80,120. My decks were way older than three years so your grit choices may be different. Be careful with the speed. I also did not want them too smooth. The vacuum may be required if your in the marina and your neighbors will appreciate it.
The Great North West
Old 09-17-2015, 04:45 PM   #33
Scraping Paint

City: -
On the advice of a very experienced shipwright who regrooved and reseamed our now-43 year old original teak deck, the only sanding I ever do--- and I only do it when absolutely necessary-- is by hand with a sanding block as when fairing new seams or plugs. That way there is no risk of a sander getting away or gouging the wood.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:02 PM   #34
Guru

I agree, unless the teak really needs it, leave it alone, as much as possible. My replacement teak cost heaps, I`m not keen to sand it away.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:18 PM   #35
Guru

I think some would be amazed what can be done with the cleaners the teak manufacturers suggest and how often teak can be restored without sanding and, at worse, with minimal sanding.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:25 PM   #36
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I think some would be amazed what can be done with the cleaners the teak manufacturers suggest and how often teak can be restored without sanding and, at worse, with minimal sanding.
+1
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 02:38 AM   #37
Scraping Paint

City: -
Again, teak cleaners "clean" by chemically removing the gray wood cells on the surface. Gray cells cannot be magically made brown again unless you stain them, and the stain will weather away fast.

Not saying teak cleaners/restorers don't work. They do, and therin lies the problem. Know that every time you use it, you're removing wood. Whether or not the wood removal is worth the look of keeping the wood brown is a decision only the owner can make.

Teak cleaners don't remove wood as quickly as sanding but they remove it nevertheless.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:08 AM   #38
FF
Guru

"Might I ask why you decided that rather than actually getting out on the water?

It might use up one of the 4 days a year away from the dock.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:39 AM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Again, teak cleaners "clean" by chemically removing the gray wood cells on the surface. Gray cells cannot be magically made brown again unless you stain them, and the stain will weather away fast.

Not saying teak cleaners/restorers don't work. They do, and therin lies the problem. Know that every time you use it, you're removing wood. Whether or not the wood removal is worth the look of keeping the wood brown is a decision only the owner can make.

Teak cleaners don't remove wood as quickly as sanding but they remove it nevertheless.
For that matter spraying water on them removes some wood, walking on them removes some. The point is that the best of the teak cleaners remove virtually none. We purchase ours directly from the manufacturer of the decks. They contain no acid, no caustic sodas, no phosphates, they brighten better than chemical cleaners and they don't remove the soft fibers any more than water does for all practical purposes. We follow the use and methods outlined by the manufacturer. We've also observed demonstrations on very sun bleached teak in which the runoff was collected and there was no visible teak fiber. We've also seen it used on a boat in which the teak was completely grey. I'm sure every time you clean your hardwood floor in your home you remove some minuscule amount of wood. Now none of it removes as much as vacuuming carpet does.

I'd have to ask if you've actually used the cleaner from the manufacturer and the methods they suggest. I'd have to toss in the caveat that all teak is not created equal. My experience and exposure is to Teakdecking Systems who do the majority of teak decks in the US and to one Italian builder. Our experience is also primarily with well maintained teak, other than a couple of times observing other.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:43 AM   #40
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
...We purchase ours directly from the manufacturer of the decks. ...
What cleaner are you using?

Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote