Old 06-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #21
Per
Guru

RE: Glueing davits to an achilles inflatable????

the glue will not fail, least i will never admit to it, should it happen...
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:23 PM   #22
Guru

I have a 9 achillies rib I came to me with the weaver pads glued on I managed to get hold of the remaining weaver parts to mount on my swin platform So my question is can I expect the glued on pads to hold a 9' hard bottom boat ot is it just a matter of time before they pull off? I believe that boat weighs around 150lb
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:53 AM   #23
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34

I think the should if applied right - preferably from new. The secret to not over-stressing the glue join in my view, and which I was not able to ensure, is that the pontoons remain fairly tightly inflated, so the glued area is not subjected to sheering forces from under-inflation buckling the joined surfaces. Ie, keep them well pumped up - repair leaks immediately. My problem was slowly leaking valves from poor valve design.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:14 PM   #24
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
In reading this thread there hasn't been much discussion on PVC material for the tubes.
I just purchased a 10' used PVC RIB and intend to place Weaver Snaps on it.
In checking with Weaver, while the pads that came are Hypalon the tubes are PVC the pads. They will work with the correct glue
There are two formula of glue. For PVC with a different solvent for cleaning and the glue for Hypalon and a different solvent.
So I will have to purchase the correct PVC blue and use Acetone as the cleaner.
Fine now for the second issue and inquiry to those who have installed the pads. In my case, with PVC, the seller of this model-'Endeavor' placed their signage in such a location that installing the pads at a distance apart and balanced on the tube, is impossible.

With PVC unlike Hypalon, heat can not be applied to remove the name plaque. Weaver representative allowed that one can sand down the edges to allow the Weaver pad to flow over the edge. Care with the sanding results must not allow a 'hump' allowing water to enter under the pad. Sounds challenging to be sanding near a surface that specifically speaks to NOT sanding PVC. Even that the offending signage is a rubber material. This begs the question, has any trimmed the pads to clear objects on the tube that were factory installed? With a bit of trimming around each end of the Weaver Pad would allow fitting the pad between said signage and the lifting handle mounted on each tube aft.

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 05:50 PM   #25
Al
Guru

Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Okay Inflatable owners- so now we have to become serious:

I have not received any response from any source that I Googled and inquired: "Is it possible to remove manufactures/seller applied raised rubber type signage plaques off PVC inflatable tubes?" As one can not 'sand' the surface of PVC. the only option which seems a bit scary, is to grind off the emblem with a Drumal tool. Has any attempted to remove a raised rubber emblem? and if so how? and lastly, opinion on final surface that will suffice the glue application. If I sand, and grind to the outer limits felt to not attack the PVC your concept of 'Final' (aside of puncturing the PVC skin)

Al
Old 01-21-2017, 06:11 PM   #26

City: Oriental, NC
Vessel Name: M/V Major Award
Vessel Model: Senator 35 w/single Lehman
Contact a respected and "old" dinghy repair company and talk to a real person.
Old 01-22-2017, 12:11 AM   #27
Al
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilge53 View Post
Contact a respected and "old" dinghy repair company and talk to a real person.
Sorry Bilge, I mis-spoke. In deed I spoke with the Weaver folks and they are the ones that suggested the 'sanding' off the naming plaques. At the same time, emphasizing that sanding the PVS material would result in a puncture. Hence my concern in asking if someone out here in the forum had access or knowledge of a better process. Your response was a correct one given my error in describing.

Regards,

Al-Ketchikan
Old 01-22-2017, 12:35 AM   #28
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Al, rather than a risky sanding, puncture, and repair as prep, could you apply Sikaflex or similar polyurethane over the offending brand plaque, and glue to that. Maybe the Sika would even work as the glue, an all in one job. I`m not sure what the contact type glue typically supplied for pvc repair patching consists of, but I successfully used a liquid polyurethane glue where a dinghy pvc panel came adrift from the transom outboard panel.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:19 AM   #29
Al
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Al, rather than a risky sanding, puncture, and repair as prep, could you apply Sikaflex or similar polyurethane over the offending brand plaque, and glue to that. Maybe the Sika would even work as the glue, an all in one job. I`m not sure what the contact type glue typically supplied for pvc repair patching consists of, but I successfully used a liquid polyurethane glue where a dinghy pvc panel came adrift from the transom outboard panel.
Hi Bruce, Different thought! The naming rubber plaque is of raised lettering on a raised form. The border on the form is also raised. I hope this is clear enough a description. Think of a brass plaque and trust you will see what I mean. Your suggestion would have me physically filling in the plaque surface flush and then as the Weaver pad will extend beyond the border of this offending plaque, It would need to have that surface raised to the level of the rubber naming plaque. (This sounds confusing as I type but will see if I can explain better!)

To clarify the issue. Weaver company remarks that the pads should be placed at the further out point on the tubes to distributed the weight on pivot points.

Between the aft hand hold pad, and the naming plaque the space is too short to fit the Weaver pad between. To place the Weaver pad before the naming plaque would have the aft Weaver pad just short of mid-tube with the forward Weaver pad located too far forward in respect to distance (At the point of the front tube curving ) So to balance the pads the naming pad has to be removed or modified. (10' RIB)

As I consider these replies, the grinding of the naming plaque is becoming the option much as I dislike the end result if the surface after grinding should not be sufficient to allow the glued Weaver pad to secure sufficiently. Then what? If I can not remove the naming pad due to the constraints of not using heat, or a dissolving material to soften the material, how am I to remove a insecure pad that will not fasten sufficiently, yet fasten enough to not release intentional?

Should have held out for hypalon boat!
No guts, no glory I suppose.

Al-Ketchikan

Al-Ketchikan
Old 01-22-2017, 01:34 AM   #30
Al
Guru

Bilge/Bruce.

Sent the following to Weaver Company (It included Bruce and my give and take)

Greetings- First thank you for the several conversations I have had with your phone representatives. Very professional. She answered twice to those inquiries. However I remain with a quandary regarding the issue of placing the Weaver Pad in a correct installation location on my RIB (Endeavor) 10'
Below is a give and take on the Trawler Forum where a suggestion is made and my response.
I am looking for confirmation to what I am now believing is the single option.
I think I am asking for a professional thought on "What is an acceptable surface level" to accept the Weaver pad with glue.
Or better yet, a better venue to proceed.
Thanks,
Alk-Ketchikan
Old 01-22-2017, 01:57 AM   #31
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Al, good idea asking Weaver, this must have come up before.
From your description there is more surface making good than I anticipated, and getting the Sika smooth could be an issue, but if it is just apply the Sika and press on the Weaver fitting it might work and have no voids. Guess it depends how attached you are to the dinghy, how old it is, etc if it all goes bad. I just think grinding it with the expectation of creating a hole at each site and having to repair them is not on.
My dinghy is .9mm material and a reputable local brand made in Korea, others now for sale are up to 1.2mm. How thick yours is may be a consideration for sanding it. I suppose there is no solvent to remove the brand patch which won`t also destroy the pvc.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 04:11 AM   #32
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al View Post
In reading this thread there hasn't been much discussion on PVC material for the tubes.
I just purchased a 10' used PVC RIB and intend to place Weaver Snaps on it.
In checking with Weaver, while the pads that came are Hypalon the tubes are PVC the pads. They will work with the correct glue
There are two formula of glue. For PVC with a different solvent for cleaning and the glue for Hypalon and a different solvent.
So I will have to purchase the correct PVC blue and use Acetone as the cleaner.
Fine now for the second issue and inquiry to those who have installed the pads. In my case, with PVC, the seller of this model-'Endeavor' placed their signage in such a location that installing the pads at a distance apart and balanced on the tube, is impossible.

With PVC unlike Hypalon, heat can not be applied to remove the name plaque. Weaver representative allowed that one can sand down the edges to allow the Weaver pad to flow over the edge. Care with the sanding results must not allow a 'hump' allowing water to enter under the pad. Sounds challenging to be sanding near a surface that specifically speaks to NOT sanding PVC. Even that the offending signage is a rubber material. This begs the question, has any trimmed the pads to clear objects on the tube that were factory installed? With a bit of trimming around each end of the Weaver Pad would allow fitting the pad between said signage and the lifting handle mounted on each tube aft.

Al-Ketchikan
Al, bearing in mind my experience, covered earlier on this thread , I would seriously advise not trying to do this yourself, but take it to an inflatable boat place. If it can be done they will do it, and with some sort of warranty.
It requires special two pac glue and the correct surface preparation. Also, is it possible to place the davit pad somewhere other than over a raised name embossing..? That would be safest even if not absolutely centred. Just a couple of thoughts based on bitter experience. Ask me how I know..?
Old 01-22-2017, 05:20 AM   #33
Memorial Member

City: Lafayette,LA
Vessel Name: Evangeline
Vessel Model: 35" Flybridge Sedan Senator
Achilles are all Hypalon. A far superior product.
Ignore any advice you hear of PVC and start over at Hypalon.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:27 AM   #34
Memorial Member

Our 1985 vintage Achilles looks it's age and needs a recoat but still holds air.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:35 AM   #35
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
When we bought Kinship, she came with a Genesis 310 rib with a Seawise Davit system. The aft handle had been removed on the RIB to allow the placing of the Seawise pad.

So, I have no idea how it was done but only know that it was possible.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:17 PM   #36
Al
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
take it to an inflatable boat place. If it can be done they will do it, and with some sort of warranty. is it possible to place the davit pad somewhere other than over a raised name embossing..?
Not available near us or here. Sorry, on the second. moving forward on the tube with the aft pad places is just inches short of center forcing a heavy load on this pad. The forward pad then is going to be carrying a lesser load.
Will wait for the response from the Weaver folks to dictate moving on. I do have a Dermal tool with a grinding bit. With that I can erase all the raised letters. Perhaps then a careful removal of the edges will allow the pad to overlap without air spaces between materials, the PVC and Rubber plaque.

Thanks for the responses, will keep you guys posted.

Al-Ketchikan
Old 01-23-2017, 02:53 PM   #37
Al
Guru

Okay- Have the final response from Weaver folks. Really very helpful lady on the other end. Here we go. Yes, I can grind down the plaque to a point then use sandpaper to eliminate the letters on the manufacture plaque. Take it down to as smooth a surface as possible without going into the PVC surface. The pads will accept a bit of 'Hump'. It need not be perfect, just smooth enough to eliminate sharp edge or 90 degree points where glue would allow air pockets. The PVC glue will adhere to the rubber type material of the plaque.
There we have it! Thanks again Trawler Forum members for contributing.
Al-Ketchikan
Old 01-23-2017, 03:36 PM   #38
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
I adjusted my pads to fit the boat. They weren't necessarily centered. This required a 1" higher bracket on the left so you may have to raise one side or the other and adjust the pivot points in or out. The dingy now is level when raised...

Old 01-23-2017, 03:51 PM   #39
Al
Guru

[QUOTE=Heron;516583]I adjusted my pads to fit the boat. They weren't necessarily centered. This required a 1" higher bracket on the left so you may have to raise one side or the other and adjust the pivot points in or out. The dingy now is level when raised...

Thanks Steve- Nice installation. Your solution is a part of mine too. Unfortunately the naming plaque still has to be addressed due to the length of the plaque and placement on the tube. As to height adjustment, yes we will have to raise ours 2" or more and plan on having each mount incorporate an extended mounting bar so as to take the mounts out away from the swim step edge.

Al-Ketchikan
Old 01-31-2017, 01:19 AM   #40
Memorial Member

Very nice job. I dislike dinghies that look like a crooked afterthought.
I also know that the easier it is to use the more you will use it.
Being picky, the boat's name needs to be visible per USCG.