Glassing over teak deck. Bad idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I investigated this at great length when considering buying and refurbishing a WWII wooden mine sweeper that had been converted to a yacht. The answer I found was: do not glass over the wood. The biggest problem was that when a bit of moisture gets into the layer between your new glass topping and the deck glass below, you have a nightmare. So, bite the bullet and either replace the teak, or remove teak and glass over the deck. You'll have a better finish, less weight and have eliminated a huge future problem.

My 9.38 cents (inflation)

I think that is certainly worth a try. Worst case you still need to chisel out the core or attaching screws.
I would replace the core with exterior plywood, then glass over it. Use mat as the first layer as it will stick to the plywood better. Then use roving or the biaxial stuff, followed by mat to make a nice surface. Then vinylester gelcoat tinting it to the color of your choice and add nonskid. It will roll right on and look great.

When you refer to exterior plywood, are you refering to 1/2 or 3/4 green board?

Greetings,
Mt. T. I think the reference is outdoor rated ply which has waterproof glue. Do NOT ever use the green or any other color/clear pressure treated ply/wood.

Back
Top Bottom