Old 11-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #1

City: Baltimore
Ghost lettering...boat name change.

Moving along with my projects next is the removal name and installation of her new name. i have the old vinyl and sticky goo off but there is BIG time ghost lettering. I have tried to deal with it in a few ways...first i used some rubbing compound. That made it nice, smooth and clean (gives me hope for the rest of the boat). Next i tried some 1000 grit tehn i went for the big guns...500 grit. Yet the ghost is still haunting me.

this is not a case of having clean, non-oxidized gelcoat under the stickers... the area under the old vinyl is yellowed. So what are my options?

I am not sure if i want to sand anymore...i think it would make a bigger mess???

how about getting a sheet of white vehicle wrap installed on the stern? anyone done this?

any other ideas???
eseyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #2
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
I just removed the big vinyl from the FB and Stern of the boat. It covered up ghost of the past. I removed those, sanded until smooth, after sanding the FB needed new gel coat to bring her back. I had this applied professionally. Cost new gel coat it might be just a bit more than a big wrap. The wrap may not look as good either. That's why I removed it to start over when making a name change. You could try to get a gel coat match and roll it on several layers knowing your going to sanding down to a flat surface. You wouldn't be out much other than time.
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
The sun caused the damage and the sun will fix it - stick your new name where you want it and be patient.
Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #4
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
You have done all you can. In about 6 years, after 2 Bombay's and tonic it won't matter.......
Old 11-06-2013, 07:07 PM   #5

City: Maine
Renaming Your Boat - BoatSafe.com
Maybe, you never know.
Anthonyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #6
Guru

You can paint. It's cheap, easy and if done correctly it will look like new.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #7
Guru

I had a similar problem with the old boat many years ago. Sun has a way of changing gel coat. Paint is the answer. If you paint the entire transom and the color is fairly close you will never see the difference. Painting with a roller and tipping with a brush can produce sprayed results that can not be distinguished with a couple of feet of distance. Cost is insignificant.
Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 04:25 AM   #8
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
The sun caused the damage and the sun will fix it - stick your new name where you want it and be patient.
This is the best advice. I had the same issue. I had it professionally cleaned up...ie wet sanded and compounded. That is pretty much all you can do unless you paint it.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote