Getting Started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alleywolf

Hello to all,

I'm in the process of purchasing a 1978 tri-level trawler, 36' with two Ford Lehman 120hp engines. Good news is the price is right for me to get started, she's not sinking, and one of the two engines is running lol. Bad news is she needs a lot of love to get back in shipshape.

First thing I plan on doing is some basic cleaning and organizing to see exactly what I'm looking at. most of the interior needs to be restored and put back together (only found a couple soft spots when inspecting).

But after that I'm not sure where to start. I'm guessing safety type stuff first?

What areas of a boat rebuild project would you suggest tackling first?

Thanks ahead of time.

Cheers, Chris

Welcome aboard. I would look at the items that are causing further damage to the boat and start there to stop the bleeding. Things like leaks. Good luck.

Thanks Comodave!

So far I haven't seen anything critical. The bilge does have a little bit of water in it, like maybe an inch worth. Pretty sure a little bit of water is normal considering the age of the boat and that its been docked for a while. If you know of a good youtube channel on working on older trawlers that would be great.

Chris

Comodave might have been talking about deck/window etc leaks rather than hull leaks.
Is the boat fiberglass? An 1" of bilge water is likely to be from the stern glands needing adjustment or repacking, not a big job(depending(ahem) on access).
Probably too early to identify priorities until you list all the issues, but safety would he high, like checking through hull fittings, bilge pumps, etc. And the batteries to power the pumps, the shorepower system to run the charger, the charger itself, maybe the solar if any for the batts.....

What is the boat? Someone with one might be able to help. Twin Lehmans is always a good find.

Hi BruceK,

The boat is a 1978 36 foot tri-cabin trawler, I believe manufactured by Universal? Fiberglass hull. I don't technically own her yet, but will likely be purchasing the boat in a couple weeks

I would,,,First stop all leaks , PH,deck ,window ,shaft .
The boat will only stop deteriorating when every leak is gone.

Then exercise every sea cock , and replace every hose and non marine hose clamps .

Change the engine oil, transmission fluid and antifreeze.

Then see about getting the dead engine running.

While not a trawler channel, I like Boatworks Today. He shows boat repair in general and has a lot of good videos. Another good site is Compass Marine. He does not have videos but a lot of good DIY articles. I like working on boats so I typically don’t look for pristine boars but rather boats that need TLC. On our current boat I have repaired hundreds of fiberglass spots, painted the whole boat, removed 4 leaking windows and glassed them closed, added 3 ventilation hatches, replaced 11 portholes, replaced main electrical panel, added a stern thruster, added a hardtop to the flybridge, fabricated new enclosures for flybridge and sundeck, recaulked and refinished teak deck on sundeck, replaced galley counter with Corian, refinished backsplash in galley, replaced all lights with LED, updated all electronics, added 2nd helm seat on flybridge and more that I can’t remember right now. I am currently getting all the things I need to make a crane in the salon so I can pull the port engine out and stack it on top of the starboard engine in order to get to the port fuel tank. The tank isn’t leaking now but it is 32 years old so I want to replace it while I can still do the work. Also while the engine is out I will clean up and paint the bilge. Also replace hoses and whatever I find while I can actually get around in the engine room. Next year I will pull the starboard engine to do the starboard tank. Usually when ai get done working on a boat I sell it but as I am getting older I may have to hold onto this one. Also our boatyard can’t haul anything bigger.

Hi BruceK,

The boat is a 1978 36 foot tri-cabin trawler, I believe manufactured by Universal? Fiberglass hull. I don't technically own her yet, but will likely be purchasing the boat in a couple weeks

Are you getting a survey? If not, are you getting estimates as to the work and cost of work needed?

If you haven't done this before, the cost and time are many times what you would estimate.

So, where to start? Be sure you really know what you're getting into. It's not too late to avoid major issues.

I'm sure it will be expensive overall as I go from one project to the next, but with a low starting cost and the education I'll get as I go... :)

I'm sure it will be expensive overall as I go from one project to the next, but with a low starting cost and the education I'll get as I go... :)

That's the problem. You're getting a low starting cost likely as a reflection of how expensive it will be. The low cost is a mirage.

Are you getting a survey? If not, are you getting estimates as to the work and cost of work needed?

If you haven't done this before, the cost and time are many times what you would estimate.

So, where to start? Be sure you really know what you're getting into. It's not too late to avoid major issues.

Yes on getting a survey. Luckily, for the price even if I find that I'm biting off more than I can chew I can part it out and make the money back or even a small profit. One of the Ford Lehman 120's alone would likely recoup the money.

Yes on getting a survey. Luckily, for the price even if I find that I'm biting off more than I can chew I can part it out and make the money back or even a small profit. One of the Ford Lehman 120's alone would likely recoup the money.

That depends on the condition of the Lehman.

Boy, have I heard this story before. Vaya con Dios.

Is the seller giving you the boat and cash?

It all depends on the buyer and his desire and skills to refurbish the boat. Our current boat was on the market for a long time due to deferred maintenance. It was exactly what I was looking for. I love working on my boats. Most people would have walked away from our current boat when we bought it. Now when I am cruising it on our river I get people yelling how beautiful the boat is. Yes, it took me a lot of hours and a lot of money. If I were to sell it right now I would probably get back all the money I have spent so far. I would loose all the hours I put into the boat but that is my hobby, when I am not working on my boat I am thinking about what I should be working on in the boat. So if he is looking at a boat in need of a lot of work, maybe that is what he wants. Usually when I get done working on a boat, I sell it because I am bored and can’t find anything more to work on. Maybe that is why this is our 23rd boat...

I like fixing up older boats. Usually it allows me to remake them just the way I want them. I showed my wife a newer boat but it didn’t change her list of alterations. So I bought a cheaper boat in need of much TLC. I spend more money and time refurbishing than I spend cruising. I am ok with that, it’s my hobby. Can I sell my newly refurbished boat for a profit? Maybe if you only count my material costs. The minute you add my labor it’s a minimum $100,000 loss. If I had paid a yard I would be upside down by $250,000 in just the last 3 years.

Not telling anyone not to take on a boat project but you had better already be a carpenter, plumber, electrician, mechanic first or it’s going to get very expensive.

I like fixing up older boats. Usually it allows me to remake them just the way I want them. I showed my wife a newer boat but it didn’t change her list of alterations. So I bought a cheaper boat in need of much TLC. I spend more money and time refurbishing than I spend cruising. I am ok with that, it’s my hobby. Can I sell my newly refurbished boat for a profit? Maybe if you only count my material costs. The minute you add my labor it’s a minimum $100,000 loss. If I had paid a yard I would be upside down by $250,000 in just the last 3 years.

Not telling anyone not to take on a boat project but you had better already be a carpenter, plumber, electrician, mechanic first or it’s going to get very expensive.

I get what everyone is saying and know most would abandon ship rather than purchase a boat like this one. For me, the adventure includes the rebuild and knowledge that will come from putting hands on every part of the boat from bow to stern. I could wait a little bit and spend more initially to buy a boat that is ready to go, but at some point every boat needs work and maintenance. I'd like to be the guy who doesn't just own a boat and have to pay someone to fix the issue, I'd like the ability to fix just about any issue myself, perhaps even underway or in some small port if need be. I know it will be expensive and a huge headache at times to purchase a "fixer upper" boat but I'm okay with that. :socool:

I get what everyone is saying and know most would abandon ship rather than purchase a boat like this one. For me, the adventure includes the rebuild and knowledge that will come from putting hands on every part of the boat from bow to stern. I could wait a little bit and spend more initially to buy a boat that is ready to go, but at some point every boat needs work and maintenance. I'd like to be the guy who doesn't just own a boat and have to pay someone to fix the issue, I'd like the ability to fix just about any issue myself, perhaps even underway or in some small port if need be. I know it will be expensive and a huge headache at times to purchase a "fixer upper" boat but I'm okay with that. :socool:

Sounds like a plan, good luck with it and keep us informed. Oh, BTW we require photos...

One of our members by the name of Winty has a YouTube channel. He does a lot of maintenance and repair videos and has a Lehman in his... CHB? I think?

He also has a Great Dane named Jeff that’s worth subscribing for on his own.

I know the Universal brand, though those here are not tri cabin.
One of our marina neighbours bought a Dyna 45 solely to work on it and resell. Profit was not the aim, he just enjoyed doing the work. Not for me, but what he wanted.
First fix is what might sink it and might let in more damage. I doubt it will be a bargain in the fullness of time but so what, it`s what you want. Journey rather than, or just as much as, destination.

One of our members by the name of Winty has a YouTube channel. He does a lot of maintenance and repair videos and has a Lehman in his... CHB? I think?

He also has a Great Dane named Jeff that’s worth subscribing for on his own.

Can you post a link to the channel? Thanks!

Everyone has a different concept of "Messing Around With Boats"

Dock Queens , cottage afloat , snowbird ,week end toy, looper, circumnavigation.

Thank goodness there are , other enjoyable paths

" Usually when I get done working on a boat, I sell it because I am bored and can’t find anything more to work on. Maybe that is why this is our 23rd boat..."

His concept and enjoyment keeps sound but unloved boats alive!!!

Last edited:
Alley,
We see this often when folks want to buy a cheap boat and rebuild it. And there's some of us that encourage it and then there's the nay sayers. I'm sure you've looked at the goods/bads and the risks/rewards and sounds like you've done a lot of this.

I say, more power to you. There's certainly a satisfaction of pride when you finish. You're attitude of doing it for the fun and education is spot on, and you realize that is most likely will not be a profit producer.

While I don't mind doing small projects.... adding seats, flooring, radios, modifications, etc., a total rebuild is not in my cards. Just too time consuming for me but can appreciate the work others do.

Getting info from forums, youtubes, etc is a good idea as you can often find someone that's done it before and can save you time and resources.

Keep us posted!

If it was me, and thank god its not.

I would start with a haul out and, begin working on the outside of the hull and work my way in. If you can find a good DIY yard you can usually get a monthly rate that is much cheaper than dockage.

If you don't have a hull then you don't have a boat :)

If it was me, and thank god its not.

I would start with a haul out and, begin working on the outside of the hull and work my way in. If you can find a good DIY yard you can usually get a monthly rate that is much cheaper than dockage.

If you don't have a hull then you don't have a boat :)

Good point, I'll have to look but I bet there is a DIY yard in Seattle somewhere.

Naysayers. .

20 years ago everyone thought I was delusional sitting in my run down shack on 6 acres in the mountains and subscribing to a yacht magazine.

Just a dreamer.

Now, those same people that would casually say ‘follow your dreams’ (but really don’t mean it) are the ones sitting back ‘Monday Morning Quarterbacking’’ every move I make.

In the past two years I have paid off over $40k of debt, somewhat convinced my grown kids they have to start living and letting my wife and I do the same, bought a $25k 36’ that will need much work (subjective), and I am one step closer to the dream I have had for over thirty years.

I am standing at the threshold of actually realizing that dream. There is absolutely no way I will allow those same people to cause me to lose focus.

I used to believe that I was not very successful in life. Even now, as I am sitting on the deck of my 36’ trawler and under 55 years old, retired, money to live on, relatively good health, and sipping on a tasty Hurricane watching the sun set, I ponder.

Should I reconsider my position? Maybe I should ask the naysayers who will be busting their humps at their 9-5 in the morning.

I will just be choosing what lure to tie on the pole before I get started with my new full time job working on my beautiful ‘hole in the water’, as they all seem to like to refer to it.

I must have done it all wrong.

Or maybe they were wrong.

I can only wish you the best. If you can visualize it, you can do it. It might cost you more but in the end, you will have done it your way.

Albeit possibly the stupid way (as in my case) but none the less, you will make Frank Sinatra proud.

Back
Top Bottom