Old 06-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
The title says it all .... Please Understand Me.

Learn about yourself. Learn about others through "type watching". Once you understand why a person is the way he is or does what he does he (or she) becomes acceptable. Well - sort of. Helps a lot though.

Understand your kids, the people you work with, the girls you date and anybody else. It's fun and a positive thing.

No need to be afraid Mark.

SPY,
You're absolutely correct ... I am an ESTP. And I see our difference .. you being more intuitive. Good call.
Been a long time since I have dealt w this stuff.
I'm really impressed that you "had me figured".

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:47 PM   #22
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
The title says it all .... Please Understand Me.

Learn about yourself. Learn about others through "type watching". Once you understand why a person is the way he is or does what he does he (or she) becomes acceptable. Well - sort of. Helps a lot though.

Understand your kids, the people you work with, the girls you date and anybody else. It's fun and a positive thing.

No need to be afraid Mark.

SPY,
You're absolutely correct ... I am an ESTP. And I see our difference .. you being more intuitive. Good call.
Been a long time since I have dealt w this stuff.
I'm really impressed that you "had me figured".
I never did like being pigeon holed by Myers Briggs or the other half dozen assessments.

So I always did my best to go off the reservation at those times!

menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 10:48 PM   #23
Guru

City: kemah
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Please allow me to rant a little bit, but also offer a systematic approach to problem solving. The inspiration ;-) for this post came from a current thread about the OP's house batteries not charging. After 10 posts, no one offered a diagnostic approach, only suppositions (and as always, quite a few extraneous posts). I posted a sequential procedure that I hope is correct and will lead the OP to find the solution.

But back to the general topic. Most of us have been burned at the hands of mechanics who simply change parts until the problem goes away. Sometimes it takes 2-3 different parts until the problem is resolved. Almost certainly 1 or 2 of those parts was perfectly good. And even worse, maybe the immediate problem was solved, but because no one understood the underlying cause of the problem, the failure happened again.

So when you have a problem whether it is engine, electrical, hydraulic or whatever, stop to think about ALL of the things that could cause the problem. Develop a list and write it down. Then think about how you would confirm or deny that each possible cause was really the cause.

Usually these potential causes will form a chain starting with where the problem is apparant (the dead house battery) and work its way back to where the situation is known to be good (the output of the engine alternator). Electrical problems are often straightforward and linear in their chain up the line.

Engine problems are more complex. An overheating engine has many potential causes, some in a chain (the raw water flow path) and others sort of one off (a fouled heat exchanger, a bad thermostat). But all have simple, low cost diagnostic steps that can be explored.

We all have horror stories and this one wasn't mine, but I was a bystander waiting for it to be resolved so I could close on the boat purchase. After replacing the exhaust elbow, the raw water pump, the heat exchanger, etc and some $2-3,000 later (on a $6,000 engine) the problem was found to be a collapsing raw water suction hose that some previous mechanic had stepped on repeatedly and crushed. The $20 hose was replaced and the engine ran at wot without overheating. A simple bucket test to measure raw water flow out the exhaust would have pinpointed this problem.

So, think about causes and a logical way to eliminate them rather than follow a hit or miss approach.

David

Now do it 3 times fast in 9 foot seas.

Practice.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:24 PM   #24

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40
So does anybody know what became of RickB?
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:47 PM   #25
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8r View Post
So does anybody know what became of RickB?
Got the boot for being too honest.

Q: What do engineers use for birth control?

A: Their personalities.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:59 PM   #26

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Selah
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 40
A loss to the forum.
av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:17 AM   #27
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8r View Post
A loss to the forum.
Indeed. His credentials and experience are top notch.

He just doesn't suffer fools well.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 06:46 AM   #28
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post
Indeed. His credentials and experience are top notch.

He just doesn't suffer fools well.
....he really does care that the average boater gets the truth about our vessels. He still follows what is going on.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:40 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: Pompano Beach, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
I remember a long time ago a mechanic diagnosed a car problem and declared it was w the automatic transmission. After a transmission rebuild the problem finally turned out to be a spark plug.

However many a good spark plug has been replaced w a "tune up" thinking a tune up would solve any running issues.

Re what djmarchand says ... peeps just don't think enough and in the right channels.

Been there done that. Finally quit hiring mechanics unless the job is too heavy or I stand a high probability of screwing up an expensive part.

I've been stumped three times in 12 years. 1) a collapsed mercruiser water hose that was supposedly replaced by the pro that overhauled the engines. He didn't and it caused overheating. Finally replaced the part myself after fighting with the mechanic for two years. 2) an ethanol fuel blocked fuel line that I only diagnosed after a "pro" insisted I had a carb and ignition problem. Still ran like crap after spending $2000 (high performance motor that I lacked confidence in tuning) $10 of hose and $5 solvent solved it. And 3) a blocked exhaust on a 1971 car. I thought it was an exhaust problem and muffler shop repeatedly told me impossible for a non catalytic converter car; despite the car running worse and worse. They even ignored the massive intake exhaust leaks and blamed it on the gasket. Finally bought a borescope and told them where to cut. A 455 cannot function on a 1/2" exhaust passage. I'm once again doing burnouts in a 6000 lb car.

Nope, no "pros" for me unless I need to lighten my wallet.
Mkeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:19 PM   #30
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
There are "pros" and then there are Pros! Kudos to all the Pros out there.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:39 PM   #31
Guru

City: East Greenwich, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
There are "pros" and then there are Pros! Kudos to all the Pros out there.
Ski in NC who posts here is certainly one of them. Tony Athens, formerly of boatdiesel is another. Diesel Jerry who hangs out on downeastboatforum is another. I know a few more, pros I have met on boatdiesel, but that is about it.

The others I have run across vary from just competent mechanics to pure parts changers, and lots of the latter.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:31 PM   #32

City: So-Cal
Vessel Name: Chelsea Rose
Vessel Model: Helmsman 43 PH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Spy View Post

Q: What do engineers use for birth control?

A: Their personalities.
Ouch.

Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote