Old 07-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
gell in gas ?

Came across a guy with some fuel related issues.

Going through the system and found quite a bit of gelatin kinda of substance through out the system including the tank.

I thing its the result of a fuel conditioner and gas being stored for a while but not sure?

Just thought I would ask the experts
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:53 PM   #2

City: Wilmington, N.C.
Vessel Name: Donnchaidh
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40' sedan
gell in gas

Gas with alcohol will form a greenish gell when water is present, which it is in just about all gasoline. As far as I know there is no solution that will remove it without disassembly and cleaning. I have heard that acetone will desolve it but have not tried it. The real cure is to purchase alcohol feree gas.
awpptdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #3
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by awpptdt View Post
Gas with alcohol will form a greenish gell when water is present, which it is in just about all gasoline. As far as I know there is no solution that will remove it without disassembly and cleaning. I have heard that acetone will desolve it but have not tried it. The real cure is to purchase alcohol feree gas.

I polish the fuel year around, and have a vacuum gauge on each double racor filter so I know when filter has to be changed.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Actually from what I have seen...ethanol helps REMOVE varnish in old gas... but this "gelatin" like substance sounds like old "pre-ethanol" gas that's starting to varnish up.

Hard to imagine a big clump and not just gelling in smaller carb passeges....the newer ethanol gas doesn't gel...it phase separates due to water and turns into 3 layers usually...bad gas on top of a layer of whitish, sticky goo of alcohol and water/gas interface (whatever) and water below if there's enough of it.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #5
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
I polish the fuel year around, and have a vacuum gauge on each double racor filter so I know when filter has to be changed.

Phil, you do realize the topic is gasoline, not diesel?

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #6
OFB
Guru

City: Richmond bc
Vessel Name: Invader no1
Vessel Model: Kishi Boat works
Thanks guys.

The gel is kinda popped pop corn shaped about 1/4 piece in size.

It breaks down between your fingers but feels like silicone.

The vessel is a commercial log salvage boat. Gets many many hours of use per week.

The presents of the gel in the system seems to have no effect to the power. She runs fine.

All fuel used is ethanol free mid grade. Marine fuel in Canada.

Time will tell if it clears or becomes an issue.

But I think water "made its way" into the system at some point . but just a guess.
OFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:32 AM   #7
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
I highly recommend Soltron: http://soltron-gtr.com/

Read through the site carefully - I've been using Soltron for years with no problem.

MOF, I used it to remove some water and considerable gunk in old, stale gasoline when we purchased our Tollycraft. Once it quickly and completely cleared that mess up (only took a couple months to clean up the fuel and tanks)... I kept right on using it at each refueling. Have not had a dirty fuel filter... 5 years and counting.

Best item I've found for keeping my gas in real good condition. It's professed to be great for diesel too!

Best Luck!

Art

PS: NAPA auto carries Soltron
Art is offline   Reply With Quote