Gadget for filling 1 lb propane tanks from.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That looks good and an additional cylinder from Flame King via Amazon is only $10.98. I hate running out of propane in the middle of grilling. :banghead:

That is why I got it.....plus the engineered for refilling tanks.

So when transferring the fuel, I gather you are pouring the liquid propane from the big tank to the small, and not transferring vapor? I’ve heard about doing it, but never tried. But I’d like to try it since I have a couple of 100lb tanks that I’d like to decant into 20lb tanks. I suspect the same process should work, though the fittings would be a bit different.

So when transferring the fuel, I gather you are pouring the liquid propane from the big tank to the small, and not transferring vapor? I’ve heard about doing it, but never tried. But I’d like to try it since I have a couple of 100lb tanks that I’d like to decant into 20lb tanks. I suspect the same process should work, though the fittings would be a bit different.

We had two of our cylinders filled from 100lb cylinders when were in Cocos Keeling. They went cyclinder to cylinder with the empty one lower. The 100lb cylinders were left vertical. I don’t think they had dip tubes like home tanks. Worst case, put yours on it’s side and you should be able to do it.

I’ve also refilled 5 and 10lb tanks from our 20lb tank. I have a 5’ section of hose with male tank fillings on each end. I go tank to tank with the empty tank lower than the full tank. I’ll wrap the lower tank in a wet towel or do it in the shade. You know it’s full by cracking the side bleed screw the same as a propane dealer would.

Last edited:
I thought all vertical tanks had tip valves in them? If you invert the tank doesn't the tip valve prevent flow?

I thought all vertical tanks had tip valves in them? If you invert the tank doesn't the tip valve prevent flow?

The new valves prevent over filling but if you invert them I still get propane out as long as a hose is attached.

Here’s a picture of an overfill protection device (opd) valve assembly for a 20 lb cylinder I found.

Attachments

• 3AF1B58F-C32D-4AA0-9BE8-C05F8EA35229.jpeg
    3AF1B58F-C32D-4AA0-9BE8-C05F8EA35229.jpeg
    12.9 KB · Views: 1,058
Down here in Baja at my winter place all the local & tourist tanks get refilled from big cylinders, no probema.

The modern ones will move liquid out when inverted until the float valve swings to horizontal.

I'll see if I can get a pic of the tanks that come in from the ranchos, I swear some of them are pre war. Still working!

Aren't the one pound bottles less that $3 each?

Why?

Down here in Baja they are twice that, if available. And they are a hazmat disposable problem in the first world.

Sorry if my question seem stupid but if you have a 20lb tank why not to use it instead of refilling smaller tank?

L

Being able to use the portable grill out of the wind and not relocate everything.

Being able to use the grill, despite being out of propane in little bottles without running to a store (not always convenient).

For me , it's not about money but convenience.

Makes no sense to some and plenty to others...like lots of things in boating ...well.... life in general.

I have a refill device which is somewhere on the boat. Doubt if i could find it if I needed it, might have taken it home. The one pounders are cheap and for use on the grill last for 6 or 8 meals.

If they would sink I really wouldn't feel bad about tossing them overboard, they would rust out in about 2 years. But I dutifully take them home and I imagine they end up in a landfill where they can rust away.

I think one pound propane cylinders are the cheapest boating related expense.

pete

I've got one of the early models that I use to refill 1# bottles. A trick I learned was to freeze the empty 1# bottle before refilling. The cooler bottle allows more liquid propane to enter. At least that is the theory behind it. As always, do your refilling outside in a well ventilated area. BTW, I'm in Baja also and the 1# bottles sell for about $10USD, if they are even available. So it makes good sense to keep several small bottles onboard to be refilled.

Cheers, Bill

I've got one of the early models that I use to refill 1# bottles. A trick I learned was to freeze the empty 1# bottle before refilling. The cooler bottle allows more liquid propane to enter. At least that is the theory behind it. As always, do your refilling outside in a well ventilated area. BTW, I'm in Baja also and the 1# bottles sell for about $10USD, if they are even available. So it makes good sense to keep several small bottles onboard to be refilled.

Cheers, Bill

I tested this method a few years ago and found that the frozen cans held about 30-50% more than stock (I weighed them). The problem was that after a few refills, they bulged and leaked. I just refill them now without the freezer.

As most of you know, propane cylinders are not designed to be completely full! Overfilling beyond the designed capacity can result in leakage (at best), or in extreme cases, cylinder failure (usually a previously damaged cylinder) from overpressurization or from flame impingement should a leak ignite. The one pound cylinders are made for single use so I would suspect they might be more prone to failure and problems (cheaply made) than the cylinders designed for repeated use. Over the years (of use of one pound cylinders), I have had several leak for various reasons (none from being very old). By the way, I did not refill them. Now, I avoid them totally and use a 10 lb. cylinder stored on my swim grid to operate my BBQ. Lasts for about 2 months of relatively heavy use, and I feel is much safer and avoids the garbage associated with the 1 lb disposables. Safe storage is a concern when it comes to the 1 lb bottles. Ensure they are stored in a well ventilated area where any leakage can make it's way quickly overboard (remembering that propane is heavier than air) and also away from ANY potential ignition sources.

A little storey. On one boat we looked at when boat shopping (happened to be an American Tug 34), when I looked into the cockpit lazerette (a totally enclosed space) I found that the current owner stored a plastic gas can (about 10 liters) and a 20 lb propane bottle down there. Also in the space (laz) was an electric stern thruster motor, 2 lead acid batteries, and a dedicated battery charger. What a recipe for disaster!!!! Open ignition sources in the same enclosed space as he chose to improperly store flammables (gases from the liquid fuels). Darwin at work, IMHO. :)

There is enough energy stored in a 1 lb propane bottle to potentially do very serious damage to any boat (including destroying most smaller boats), so ensure you store them properly (safely), replace them often (routinely) and at the first sign of any damage or deterioration of condition, and treat them with respect for their potential.

FYI, I strongly advise against freezing the bottle to try to "squeeze in" more propane than was designed should you decide to refill them, especially in hot climates where the contents are more prone to increases in pressure caused by the heat or sun exposure!
There is a reason why propane tanks (refillable) must be tested and certified, personnel doing the refilling must be properly trained (certified), and the cylinders are NOT filled beyond their listed (stamped on the bottle) capacity. Propane is quite safe if used and stored properly, but it can have severe results if not!
I am not being overly dramatic here, I have seen first hand the results of the careless use of propane and it isn't pretty.

I've got one of the early models that I use to refill 1# bottles. A trick I learned was to freeze the empty 1# bottle before refilling. The cooler bottle allows more liquid propane to enter. At least that is the theory behind it.

This is easy to check out, fill one the "normal" way and the other the "freezing" method and weigh both. Report back.

I've got one of the early models that I use to refill 1# bottles. A trick I learned was to freeze the empty 1# bottle before refilling. The cooler bottle allows more liquid propane to enter. At least that is the theory behind it.

This is easy to check out, fill one the "normal" way and the other the "freezing" method and weigh both. Report back.
Sorry to say this, but to try to refill cheap, "non-refillable", disposable cylinders (especially) to over design capacity is just plain irresponsible. If you do this, please don't dock, anchor, or moor near me :nonono:
I do not understand the thinking involved in this danger. Why risk your lives, your boat, and your neighbours to save a very, very small amount (when talking about boat costs)?

I will defer to Peter about insurance, but I would suspect that by refilling what is in essence "non-refillable" propane cylinders, if a mishap were to occur and cause was determined to be the cylinder in question, you may find coverage denied??:banghead:
Don't know for sure, but often insurance companies retain their own private investigators to determine cause. I have dealt with several when I was involved in fire cause determination. I am sure they don't do that just to spend more money?? Just saying, another reason I don't advise "risking it". Life is not without risks, but why take unnecessary ones, especially when the consequences of a problem could be disasterous.
I worry about all of you :thumb:

Taking risks with propane/LPG bottles via unintended use like refilling single use bottles or freezing them to accept more liquid with the obvious changes normal temps will bring, is just asking for trouble. I`ve seen the aftermath of an insidious LPG leak in a house,the gas accumulated at floor level, slowly rising until it reached cigarette level, when there was an almighty fireball. There is good reason to comply with LPG bottle safety standards.

I was dubious, then bought the fill device and used it last summer. I used the same two one lb cylinders all summer, weighing the bottles after filling every time. They filled to two exact decimal places (ounces on the digital scale) to the exact weight of a new bottle every time. For me it was the waste of a perfect appearing bottle being thrown away, not the 50 cents (or less) it took to refill the bottle from a 25 lb cylinder.

The ball valve in the one lb bottle can get worn and leak after several refills. Tapping it until it sets and seals works to get them to seal. I avoid making garbage for the landfill, the cost of the fuel wasn't a consideration. Here the bottles are about $4-5 each, shipping them in isn't an option in Alaska. Along with batteries and most other stuff involving chemicals, pressurized, or batteries...

If your goal is be environmentally friendly, they do work well.

Sorry Doug, but ....
Having to "tap" the bottle to get it to seal is, to me, just an indication that this isn't entirely safe!! How reliable does that sound????
I would not risk my wife's life (or mine for that matter) to "be environmentally friendly" in this way when there are other options such as use a "proper" propane cylinder. This is really about convenience and reducing the "fussing about" with moving things around (at least as stated by some earlier in this thread)?? Personally I use a smaller 10 lb tank for the BBQ.
Everyone has their own tolerance for risk. Good luck, I hope you don't need it.

Having been a firefighter for 30 years, and understanding the issues, I am not concerned by refilling bottles. From the very first time you use a one pound bottle, the seal may leak once the valve in the bottle has been opened as you screw it onto your device. If you are concerned, simply place the refilled one pound cylinders in your propane locker until you are ready to use them, it is vented.

The "tapping" is on the valve itself, not the bottle, and can easily be checked with a couple of drops of water onto the top of the bottle. You are correct in the statement that we all have our own tolerance for risk. Nothing in life doesn't have risk involved, some folks are afraid to anchor out since they consider it to be too risky :)

I too, have seen the dangers of LPG and Natural gas leaks. There are no mysteries involved...

Been using one of these for years now. Some of my bottles are getting to the point of concern for refilling, mostly the rust. I weigh mine during the refilling process also, just another safety measure.

Me too. With the price of $7 at Wal-Mart for two bottles, I fill my bottles for about $0.61 each. Been doing it for years with no issues.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom