Gadget for filling 1 lb propane tanks from.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NS...you had s great post and I agree...

But as far as rules...not sure which are being broken..especially with the DOT compliant refillable ones....especially if you don't transport on roads.

Either way, I was never comfy with the disposable types...that's why I went to the refillable kind.

Still would love to know the actual number of mishaps per (number) refills.

Pretty well close to impossible to ascertain the number of mishaps per number of refills when often even the mishaps are not reported, and certainly the number of times single use cylinders are being "refilled" by users is definitely not reported nor recorded!
To most risk managers (even people just trying to avoid problems), the worst kind (most worrisome) is the low frequency (doesn't occur very often or the activity is not conducted very often) high consequence (if something does go wrong death or serious injury is very possible) type of activity. This is why LPG is regulated in the first place.

I do agree with you (both NS and Psneeld) that refilling the "reusable" cylinders is way less of an issue (with some caveats).
Often one of the root causes of an accident (whether at work or in private life) is when someone is "just trying to save time, cut corners, be more convenient, etc." and they actually do know better.

So if they mandate that disposable cylinders are one time use, they should also mandate some sort of recycling program to either reuse the cylinders or properly dispose of them. I have a collection of them that I can't legally get rid of.

If I'm stuck with them, then I'm more tempted to resuse them.

Completely understand. Agree one should not be able to sell a consumer good without a way to properly dispose of.
So if they mandate that disposable cylinders are one time use, they should also mandate some sort of recycling program to either reuse the cylinders or properly dispose of them. I have a collection of them that I can't legally get rid of.

If I'm stuck with them, then I'm more tempted to resuse them.

Mankind, men in general have a great propensity to blow themselves up for a number of reasons. I believe it starts in our childhood when we (men) discover the ability to light our own flatulence

Last edited:
I've been refilling disposable propane bottles from a larger tank since the 1960s. It may be illegal and it may be unsafe, but I'm still here. I do toss the bottles if they have rust or any damage at all.
If you want to recycle the bottles, make sure they're empty, and crush them. I use a bearing press, but driving over them works, too. Scrap buyers have always taken them flattened, but I haven't scrapped any in a long time and the EPA gets worse every day.

Back
Top Bottom