Old 03-30-2015, 11:01 AM   #21
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
When i bought the boat, it had about 100 gallons in the two tanks. After putting about 300 gallons in my tanks on the first fill, and going up the east coast in some rough weather, my filters looked like that at the first filter change.

My fuel polisher also took about 2 gallons of stuff that looked like that.

i did open the inspection port, but the tank was clean, all the agitation had done all the work already.

not a problem since.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:08 PM   #22
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
We bought our Defever 44 about a year ago. Took her home (about 1000 miles and 150 hours) with the filters that were on board. We did have the fuel polished dockside in Palm Coast before leaving. No water, no crud was evident even though the boat was little operated the three years previous to purchase. Cruised home through some very rough seas in St. Andrews Sound so the tanks were most definitely stirred up. Still nothing in the bowls. Changed out the 2 micron filters when we arrived at our home port near Annapolis. The filter elements were hardly discolored. Although I have no way of knowing for certain, it would appear that my tanks are pretty clean. Either that or the tank crud is firmly stuck to the bottom.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 02:55 PM   #23
Guru

City: Miami
From the looks of those filters I'd say you might also have a water in fuel problem to solve. It's easy to check if the filtered material is asphaltene or organic by placing a bit of it in a bath of acetone. If it dissolves it's asphaltene. Can you drain the fuel from the bottom of the tank into a clear bottle to have a look see?

Via iPhone.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:25 PM   #24
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
Quote:
Originally Posted by cafesport View Post
From the looks of those filters I'd say you might also have a water in fuel problem to solve. It's easy to check if the filtered material is asphaltene or organic by placing a bit of it in a bath of acetone. If it dissolves it's asphaltene. Can you drain the fuel from the bottom of the tank into a clear bottle to have a look see?

Via iPhone.
Thanks for the tip. I put some of the filtered material in Acetone and it did, in fact, dissolve. From this info and the visual I think Asphaltene is confirmed.

No access to the bottom of the tank, but I can drop a hose in and pump some fuel out to check that.

I have some Asphaltene chemicals coming tomorrow and my polisher/circulator is one fitting away from completion. I'll do a cleanse on Thursday.

On water, don't know. Remember those filters are 5 years and 300 hours old. The boat has never had a problem with fuel delivery. All new filter/separators were installed today. I think I'll have it all corrected shortly..

Asphaltene dissolved:
Old 03-31-2015, 08:06 PM   #25
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Funky stuff on the first filter from newly-built tanks:

Old 04-01-2015, 10:55 AM   #26
Guru

City: Miami
One thing you might also want to consider is that Racor recommends installing their filter on the suction side of any transfer pump. This prevents pressurized emulsification of any water which may be present upstream of the filter. Also the turbine is designed for a specific flow rate and needs to be properly sized in order to do its job effectively (for the walbro the 500 is the size you need). The large fleet guard upstream when plugged may prevent this. Do you know the return rate of fuel for your engine? If your tank/tanks are getting all the return fuel, a rise in temperature could be contributing to the asphaltene precipitation you have been seeing.

Via iPhone.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:31 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafesport View Post
One thing you might also want to consider is that Racor recommends installing their filter on the suction side of any transfer pump. This prevents pressurized emulsification of any water which may be present upstream of the filter. Also the turbine is designed for a specific flow rate and needs to be properly sized in order to do its job effectively (for the walbro the 500 is the size you need). The large fleet guard upstream when plugged may prevent this. Do you know the return rate of fuel for your engine? If your tank/tanks are getting all the return fuel, a rise in temperature could be contributing to the asphaltene precipitation you have been seeing.
I Want to retain the Racor for running filtration only (along with the Fleetguard and Volvo on-engine filter) as it has been running now (and the past 5 years). All are water separators. Based on those pics I highly doubt that fleetguard will ever plug with regular change outs from now on. I's the first filter in-line and will capture the bulk of any junk in the system. It can capture a whopping amount as evidenced by the pictures. The pump is really for at dock circulation/polishing and "Y's" just before the Racor. Fuel will be filtered down to 10 microns with the "polisher". All water issues, should I have any, will be captured by the 2 water separators upstream. Both accessible and easy swapped or drained of water. Dunno the return rate or temps of the fuel (Volvo TAMD41P 200hp turbo) and there's not much I could do about that anyway. Asphaltene conditioner, some fresh fuel and regular running seem to be the solution.

Again, despite the gruesome pictures of that filter, the engine has continued to run perfectly. Just a long deferred maintenance issue by the previous owner(s). The new system is simple (one switch and one valve) and will be worlds better as well as versatile.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:38 PM   #28
Guru

Just an update on my "New" system. Filters all replaced and the polishing function run several times. Asphaltine Chemicals added and fuel bowls look clean. The Walbro filters/Transfers 30 GPH (observed) which is more than adequate for my dual 60 gallon tanks. It's nice to be able to move fuel while at the dock. As small as my boat is, an empty tank on one side and a full one on the other results in a pronounced list!
I can balance things nicely now and filter at the same time. Works great!
Old 04-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #29
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heron View Post
It's nice to be able to move fuel while at the dock. As small as my boat is, an empty tank on one side and a full one on the other results in a pronounced list!
I can balance things nicely now and filter at the same time. Works great!
Same on larger boats with fuel tanks on opposite sides of the keel line Heron. I have four tanks in the stern and sometimes I forget to reopen the crossover fuel line on longer cruises. My generator only draws from the starboard tanks. After a couple of weeks of light cruising and prolonged anchoring out, the stern rises and boat will develop a pronounced list to port. If you let it go long enough even rain water will begin to puddle on the starboard deck.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:38 PM   #30
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Since we're showing each other our nasty business, here's what the Racor looked like when we bought the boat (there's the Racor, then a large fuel filter, then another one on the engine)
Attached Thumbnails
Nasty Racor.jpg  
Old 04-24-2015, 05:42 AM   #31
FF
Guru

" Plus any time you are running your engine you are "polishing" your fuel."

This is only true if the engine has a high return rate , like a DD.or modern electric injector units.

Many engines with Bosch style injector pumps return internal leakage or a bit more for lubrication.

A quart an hour of returned fuel will not clean the fuel much. 10-15 GPH will.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:40 AM   #32
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
" Plus any time you are running your engine you are "polishing" your fuel."

This is only true if the engine has a high return rate , like a DD.or modern electric injector units.

Many engines with Bosch style injector pumps return internal leakage or a bit more for lubrication.

A quart an hour of returned fuel will not clean the fuel much. 10-15 GPH will.
And still if all you have are filters, not a polishing system such as centrifuge, you're filtering, not polishing. There remains a distinction.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote