Old 02-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #1

City: Richmond
Vessel Name: Dee Vine
Vessel Model: 1987 President 43
Fuel tank removal

Do anyone have experience or knowledge on the removal of a fuel tank from a President 43?

eggowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #2

Any photos of engine area, tanks?

El Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
FF
Guru

A $20n cutting tool with a dozen discs works faster than a cold chisel and heavy sheers.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:43 AM   #4
Guru

City: Trenton
Have you checked with any REAL boatyards? They don't have pools, game rooms or volleyball courts but they do have on site machine shop and painting sheds. They may suggest pulling the engine(s) because that is really the way to do it. And they are good at it so it's not a big deal to them. They will want to remove the tanks intact so they can copy them perfectly and insure they will fit on the way back in.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #5
Guru

I would think It depends on what you are doing for replacement You can cut the old tank out in several ways But how will you get the new tank installed?? A bladder tank, then thats different
motion30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #6

Cut one big tank up and remove it sections. Replace with small more manageable tanks, then manifold your fuel supply and return accordingly. This is very common in getting the fuel volume you need with minimal mechanical removal.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #7
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
Have you checked with any REAL boatyards? They don't have pools, game rooms or volleyball courts ...
I guess you have never been to Rybovich in West Palm Beach.
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Just remember one word my boy... Sawzall.
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #9

City: Whittier AK
Vessel Name: Adirondack
Vessel Model: 32' Marine Trader
We changed out both fuel tanks on our boat to aluminum tanks. All I have to say is it's a messy job.
ShiRoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:24 PM   #10

City: EC FL
Quote:
(snip) They will want to remove the tanks intact so they can copy them perfectly and insure they will fit on the way back in.
If a boatyard, with or without a pool, tells you they need an intact tank in order to make a replacement, my advice would be to quickly walk away and find another yard.

Mike
Sceptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #11
FF
Guru

They will want to remove the tanks intact so they can copy them perfectly and insure they will fit on the way back in.

Why would they "copy perfectly" a failed ANYTHING?

Filling the space with a real marine fuel tank , instead of a box of fuel might be wiser.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
Guru

Spoken by folks who don't own Taiwanese trawlers.....

Back at the time when this happened there was the issue of "Resale" value. There was nothing wrong with the design of the tanks. They were just made of thin crappy steel. They got water in them from crappy deck fills with no gaskets. Their replacements are of heavy aluminum. There are new O rings in the deck fills. There is never any water in the tanks. So far they have outlasted the originals by 5 years. For twenty years I've been blessed with the most beautiful engine room.

Even so, I'm not sure I would do it now. There is a difference in what is acceptable in a 35 year old trawler vs a 15 year old. I also have 20 more years experience with her; more time now and a different perspective too. Now this would be an interesting challenge. Then it was a pain in the ass that I could pay to have remedied quickly.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:30 PM   #13

Once we get tanks out we make a mock up using door skin. The tank(s) that go back in will have a similar shape only different.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:51 AM   #14

City: Richmond
Vessel Name: Dee Vine
Vessel Model: 1987 President 43
How did they go about removing the tanks from your Taiwanese trawler? Did they remove the engines? The boat I'm looking at needs both black iron tanks replaced. I plan on cutting the tanks out and replacing with smaller tanks. Not sure I have enough working room beside the engines.
eggowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggowner View Post
How did they go about removing the tanks from your Taiwanese trawler? Did they remove the engines? The boat I'm looking at needs both black iron tanks replaced. I plan on cutting the tanks out and replacing with smaller tanks. Not sure I have enough working room beside the engines.
Single engine. It came out through the cabin sole hatches. Straight up, forward, " just a turn to the right" and out the door. Fuel tanks followed.

This yard does all the machinery installations for Cherubini Yachts and others. They know what they are doing. Not quick but good.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:14 AM   #16
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Single engine. It came out through the cabin sole hatches. Straight up, forward, " just a turn to the right" and out the door. Fuel tanks followed.

This yard does all the machinery installations for Cherubini Yachts and others. They know what they are doing. Not quick but good.

It is amazing what a good yard can do. Note I said good.

But with skills, time and DIY tendencies tanks can be torn up in place and new smaller tanks put back. Either way works for now, but how about 10 years or more down the road? Especially when owner added tanks may or may not have been done correctly using the right materials. The DIY route is pretty risky for a potential new owner to consider. If done via DIY, good photos, BOM records, layout drawings and a written execution plan are pretty important to back up your "it was done right" story.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #17
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
A couple of poly tanks strapped down is easy to see if it was done right...a lot easier than peeling all the insulation off the rusty steel tanks that many here probably bought if the tanks in the boat are original.

Buying a used boat might have a LOT of unseen issues that only destructive testing or dismantling could reveal...that's why there are so many negative feeling posted about surveyors...I too have been burned on all 3 of my major surveys but can't entirely blame the surveyor because there are limits to what they are allowed to do.

But my plans are to cut out and install a couple of poly tanks according to manufacturer and ABYC standards and FULLY expect the installation to INCREASE the value and saleability of my boat.

Even if a newbie screws it up bit, unless one breaks away in a seaway, the DIY install will probably be easier to correct than the entire process of ripping out all the old stuff especially if it involves removing the engine.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:30 PM   #18
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Dismantling the steel tanks in place is the route I would take as well. Poly tanks are easily sourced that could be mounted and plumbed in a design that actually increases the value of the boat.
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #19
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
What's the maximum size poly tank that can be effectively installed? Are they off the shelf or can they be custom built?
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #20
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
What's the maximum size poly tank that can be effectively installed? Are they off the shelf or can they be custom built?
either off the shelf or custom.

I plan on using 4 - 50 poly gallons because they are readily available and would fit in past the engine easily, install easily, leave me lots of room for built in storage, more space around the engine, etc...etc..

Plus 200 gallons will take me easily 500 miles which is all I need. Plus I can run the fuel down easily and keep tanks dry and clean when I don't need them and remove them for cleaning /replacement if ever necessary easily. The biggest issue will be figuring out a fill manifold that I like.

I know you can get ou to 230 gallon tanks off the shelf from Moeller, but configuration becomes the issue...

Moeller Marine Online - Fuel Tanks

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote