Old 06-07-2015, 08:00 AM   #61
FF
Guru

Folks that cant afford real Monel custom made real tanks and go for second choice plastic fuel grade boxes remember they install differently.

The plastic tanks will expand and grow when first filled with fuel.

So they must first be placed in the boat , filled for 48 hours and then , usually foamed in place, with straps too.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 09:57 AM   #62
Guru

City: gulf coast
I too am really curious how the inside of the hull gets glassed with the new tank in in the way of access. Maybe they just don't worry about any cuts or seams visible.

bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:05 AM   #63

City: louisiana
Ragin Cajun......Which yard is doing your work? We had a similar issue on a sportfisher back in the 80's. An aluminum tank, actually both, split on the underside where the baffles were welded in. The manufacturer used continuous welds instead of stitch welds and cracks developed necessitating R/R of both. Fortunately access was by cutting out the entire cockpit sole and reglassing in place. When finished we could not tell a difference by appearance (awlgrip texture was different than OEM but better) but we could feel less vibration in the sole underway. I think the repair was more solid than original. The work was done by Shubert's Marine at West End in N.O. Good luck with the repair. I think you are making the correct decision.
rardoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #64
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Glassing on the interior I don't think is necessary.

While double bevels are common and may be preferred in many repairs....they can build up a lip on the inside first then do pretty much what they want... overlaps or reverse bevels.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:04 AM   #65

City: Galveston, Texas
Vessel Name: Howdy
Vessel Model: 52' North Pacific
I'm sure there is an obvious answer but why couldn't bladders or, blivets, as we called them in the Army be used as permanent tanks?
Framed, secured, collapsible when empty.

http://http://atlinc.com/rangeextender.html
ktdtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:22 AM   #66
FF
Guru

"Glassing on the interior I don't think is necessary."

Unless you are going into water that would be over your head for walking to shore.

The problem is , even a proper construction that has a 400% safety margin on strength will still flex in a sea way.

To assure a proper bond to keep water out is not hard ,

but engineering a patch that will flex as the hull works far beyond most boat yards skill set or engineering ability.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:28 AM   #67
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktdtx View Post
I'm sure there is an obvious answer but why couldn't bladders or, blivets, as we called them in the Army be used as permanent tanks?
Framed, secured, collapsible when empty.

http://http://atlinc.com/rangeextender.html
Not out of the question, for sure, and often used as temporary tanks for added range, but then usually not mounted somewhere where there might be sharp protuberances to puncture them on. Down in the ER, and carrying your only precious fuel supply I would be less happy. I have a bladder holding tank safely PVC and carpet cocooned in my boat under the ER floor, but have had the water supply bladder the PO had installed develop a leak, just from moving and rubbing on a slightly gritty surface. Hence replaced by food grade plastic - much better.
Old 06-10-2015, 06:59 AM   #68
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"Glassing on the interior I don't think is necessary."

Unless you are going into water that would be over your head for walking to shore.

The problem is , even a proper construction that has a 400% safety margin on strength will still flex in a sea way.

To assure a proper bond to keep water out is not hard ,

but engineering a patch that will flex as the hull works far beyond most boat yards skill set or engineering ability.
I agree that most yards aren't that trustworthy for major glass repairs...in fact few do it that I know of...they farm out glass worth to glass guys.

That still doesn't mean you have to have access inside the boat for the whole process of patching the hull.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:22 AM   #69
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
I heard that Zimmerman was good for glass repairs. I have no experience with them. Anyone?
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:36 AM   #70
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Not understanding exactly where/how the tanks are placed inside your boat... without moving engines, can't they be cut out piece by piece from their original position and then a group of different dimension (location fit-able) tanks installed as replacement[s]? I've even heard of, but not seen, account of tanks being collapsed enough for tight location removal by high-volume suction process.

Personally, with diesel as fuel, I might opt for the sectional cut out method.

Looking forward to see pictures. Current, undisturbed tank photos might help posters here provide recommendations.

Best Luck! - Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:34 AM   #71
Guru

I've seen that video of cutting the bottom on the GB. My question is how do they get to the inside to reGlass it?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:38 AM   #72
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I've seen that video of cutting the bottom on the GB. My question is how do they get to the inside to reGlass it?

Based on my reading and experience with glass work...you don't need to, it can be done from the outside, either building up a flange first if that's your method...or not...with just relying on the scarf joint.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:03 AM   #73
Art
Guru

Man - My mechanically appointed mind simply cannot fathom how huge holes can be cut into hull sides or bottoms without severe structural integrity issues... ongoing. That said; It may be that IF both sides of the hole could be thoroughly tended to during side or bottom replacement efforts that the area could again become substantially strong.

If at all possible I'd surely opt to somehow/someway remove and replace the tanks from inside without cutting cavernous holes in the hull.

My 25 cents on the issue (inflation ya know - 2 to 10 cents no longer works - lol)... YRMV!

Happy Tank-Removal/Replace Daze - Art
Old 06-12-2015, 11:03 AM   #74
Guru

City: Trenton
I had the tanks in 'Angelina' replaced about 20 years ago. The boatyard had no problem pulling the engine and trans up through the saloon sole and out the side door. They do this for a living. They have massive articulating hydraulic lifts and decades of experience. They removed the tanks intact and sent them to a tank maker for exact duplicates. It was all in a day's work for them. You need to find a boatyard that does mechanical work for a living. Unfortunately, this one is no longer in business. Not because of their work or prices but because of the personality and appetites of the owner's daughter. That's another thread.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 01:20 PM   #75
Guru

City: sydney
Vessel Name: Aquabelle
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Flushdeck
Al: of course that is the preferred approach IF the engines can be removed via cut-outs in the saloon floor. The point about the cut-the-hull-side/bottom approach is that this is viable in situations where thru-the-saloon just cannot be done. Experienced shipwrights/fibreglass guys are saying there is NO loss of structural integrity with this approach, if the 'glass work is properly carried out
Aquabelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:04 PM   #76
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Fuel tank dilemma, help please

Perhaps it isn't the yachty thing to do and you have suggested you wouldn't consider welding the tank, but I would at least ask around about it. Go to some of the commercial tie-ups and ask around. I'll bet there are a lot of commercial vessels that take a different approach to fuel tank repairs. Perhaps this approach won't work but you won't know if you don't ask.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:28 PM   #77
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Perhaps it isn't the yachty thing to do and you have suggested you wouldn't consider welding the tank, but I would at least ask around about it. Go to some of the commercial tier-ups and ask around. I'll bet there are a lot of commercial vessels that take a different approach to fuel tank repairs. Perhaps this approach won't work but you won't know if you don't ask.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
I agree with the premise of Jim's post.

Might I add... go back to my post # 36. I'm confident there must be some way to locate/pinpoint the exact location of leak. If through careful inspection tanks are otherwise deemed to be in generally OK condition then the point-of-leak should be able to be somehow accessed via minor hull intrusion and repaired-in-place. If tanks generally taint OK condition... well, then............

Again I say: Best Luck!
Old 06-12-2015, 04:35 PM   #78
Guru

Remember most composite work is about bonding.... like gluing scarphs in plywood....not mechanical like screwing and bolting.

Hope I am not insulting anyone...but maybe the reason that some think inside access is absolutely necessary.

Many have their doubts and yes there had been many failures in composite work...but many more successes when done correctly.
Old 06-15-2015, 09:25 AM   #79

City: LAFAYETTE,LA
Vessel Name: Relenti
Vessel Model: Atlantic 30, 1983
Rajun Cajun
Sorry to hear of your problem. Did the yard start the replacement? Can't imagine the worry being caused by cutting out the sides. But, one must do what one has to do. Which yard is doing the work? Hope all goes well.
ddalme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 04:35 PM   #80
Veteran Member

City: Beaufort, NC
Vessel Model: Mikelson 43
I've got to admit the "cutting a hole in the side of the boat" made me pause. But building a flange on the inside, as some have suggested, and bonding the cutout to the flange shouldn't be a big deal.

This also made me think about visiting a naval yard with my brother-in-law, a submariner. The sub went in for a major refit, which required removal of components that had been built-in to the sub. At the refit, the yard cut big holes in the side of the sub so that the components could be accessed.

As I remember, replacement of each patch panel required nearly 2 weeks of specialized welding.

Compared to a nuclear sub hull, your patches should be a piece of cake!

Seriously, I doubt that the boat hull is very highly engineered. The safety factor is probably very high- that is, the boat is much stronger than necessary for the expected loads. Repair by a competent glass shop should not be a big deal.

ABfish is offline   Reply With Quote