Old 01-16-2013, 12:38 PM   #21
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Fill View Post
It is my understand the biggest negative for ULSD is its short self/storage live, and separating out, which is the reason for turning/using ULSD yearly and/or additives that absorb water back into the fuel. soon also. No sure about BioDeisel yet?
I'm not so sure that there is any data that says ULSD (non biodiesel variety) has a different a storage life than the old fashioned high sulfur. PMM had an article last year on this issue, even the "experts" were unconcerned if you bought from a "good" (Valvetech was mentioned) supplier. I have routinely been burning WA refined diesel and suffer no issues with 2 year old fuel.

sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #22
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,

Old 01-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #23
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anode View Post
You don't but there are a number of systems that allow cng and lpg to be utilized along with the diesel.

Using propane injection on diesel engines | American Diesel System

I drove one yesterday that injects lpg into the air intake when the throttle is advanced. It does noticeably increase performance as I was able to turn the system on and off under a load. Engine was in in-line 6cyl Cat. 3126 I believe.

Not something I would want on a boat.
I know several Dodge/Cummins pickup guys who have and use propane injection systems.
I wouldn't want it on my boat either.
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:33 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: newport
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
I'm not so sure that there is any data that says ULSD (non biodiesel variety) has a different a storage life than the old fashioned high sulfur. PMM had an article last year on this issue, even the "experts" were unconcerned if you bought from a "good" (Valvetech was mentioned) supplier. I have routinely been burning WA refined diesel and suffer no issues with 2 year old fuel.

In 2012 There was a lot of LSD fuel on the east coast that failed the oxidation stability test before pumped to the end user, and you want to know how long you could store it... There are so many variables to fuel degradation its hard to find a place to start.... The big oil COs say from 3 to 12 months depends on who you chose to believe and that seems to change from month to month. ... next thought.... some of you guys think that you have no water in your Diesel tank........ Unless you have a proper water trap or have drained the tank and hand wiped the bottom you have some water... most tank valving is installed in the side plating of the tank and when you add up the values of the welded nipple and valve center you are usually .500 to .750 of a inch off the bottom, Then boat trim and angle comes into play... So if you have a long rectangular tank you have enough water to feed a large population of nasty microbes just waiting to mess with your head...Next thought.... If you have Racor filters < and I hope you do> They are aquabolic element filters so they try not to pass water, If you have a fair amount of water in your tank & use a chemical to bond the water to the fuel you end up with wet fuel and a very soggy filter causing a large fuel restriction... Wet fuel is the last thing you want to let sit in a fuel injection pump for any amount of time, once the water has bonded fo the fuel, depending on the chemical used you may need to spin the fuel with a centrifuge to bring it back to spec or dump it as Hazmat, I only treat fuel under the recommendations of a marine chemist. Well gota go and fix stuff around the farm.

Craig Schreck is offline   Reply With Quote