Fuel Pressure checks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SKS

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Change of Pace
Vessel Make
Mainship
Hello Group,

Decided to check to output pressure from the lift pump on our Cummins 2000 6BT with 950 hrs. Borrowed a test kit and installed a banjo bolt adapter with a Schrader valve at the end of the solid fuel line before the engine mounted filter. Pressure was 8psi. Manual says .5-10 psi so I believe I’m good.

Anyway, I would like to keep a similar adapter in place for easy checks going forward without overcomplicating it.

I could buy a kit an just leave the adapter installed (maybe with a cap) but I wonder about the longevity, quality and material compatibility of a test kit part.
I don’t need a permanent fuel pressure gauge just easy access to an adapter or sending unit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Hello Group,

Decided to check to output pressure from the lift pump on our Cummins 2000 6BT with 950 hrs. Borrowed a test kit and installed a banjo bolt adapter with a Schrader valve at the end of the solid fuel line before the engine mounted filter. Pressure was 8psi. Manual says .5-10 psi so I believe I’m good.

Anyway, I would like to keep a similar adapter in place for easy checks going forward without overcomplicating it.

I could buy a kit an just leave the adapter installed (maybe with a cap) but I wonder about the longevity, quality and material compatibility of a test kit part.
I don’t need a permanent fuel pressure gauge just easy access to an adapter or sending unit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Steve
Why do you think this is such a risk that it needs regular monitoring ? I've only ever heard of this test being done on Cummins B 5.9s as part of diagnosing low power symptoms and even then it is way down on the checklist. And you have low engine hours to boot. What gives?

Good question. During the process of investigating an air leak in the fuel system I read about low lift pump pressures and resulting damage to injector pump.
I figured a lift pump check would be worthwhile. Since it would be nice to know about a failing lift pump in advance, why not be able to easily check it?
The test kit adapter makes it easy but I kind of doubt it’s a permanent part.
So, why not query the group for thoughts?

I have a Dodge 2002 pickup with a Cummins 6BT 220 HP engine. The lift pump had worn enough where there was diminish pressure and flow which trashed the injector pump. Later models have a warning light on the dash for low fuel pressure. The diesel shop I was using at the time, installed a pressure sensor and idiot light near the dash that would illuminate when you turn the key on and go out above a specific fuel pressure.

The pickup has an electric fuel pump that lasts around 80,000 miles. The next time it started wearing out, the mechanic I currently use, suggested going to an electric fuel pressure gauge and an aftermarket fuel pump. This pump lasted about 200,000 miles and I could see it becoming erratic before the pressure dropped off. Have thought about installing a fuel pressure gauge on my trawler.

2019-09-16 07.59.47.jpg

Sensor on the left is idiot light. Fuel gauge sensor is on the right.

2019-09-16 08.02.09.jpg

Ted

Thanks Ted!

Those truck engines have a different pump than the 2000 era marine engine. The marine engine is not sensitive to lift pump pressure like that truck pump is.

Those truck engines have a different pump than the 2000 era marine engine. The marine engine is not sensitive to lift pump pressure like that truck pump is.
It's not pressure, it's volume. I believe the marine injector pump still requires fuel volume to cool the injector pump. Loss of pressure would indicate a reduction in volume as it is no longer returning fuel to the tank. I believe both systems incorporate a bypass valve to maintain a minimum pressure.

Anyway, one more benchmark to help alert you to a problem before it shuts you down.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom