Old 10-03-2013, 03:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: PNW
Vessel Name: Kingfisher
Vessel Model: 1974 Meridian Yachts Pilothouse 48
Carpet Installer Recommendation Wanted - WA

I'd like to replace the carpet in my boat this winter. YES! I do want carpet, so please, no discussion of the pros & cons of carpet vs. hard flooring. I've thoroughly examined both options and carpeting won out, thank you.

1. Can anyone recommend a marine carpet installer in the Port Townsend, SEA, etc. area? I'm on the Kitsap Peninsula and can travel, although I've heard rumor of a "good guy" who will come to my location.

2. Also, any product recommendations?

I'd love to hear from others who have had good results with their carpet install.

Thank you,
Mary
AKMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
what is the difference between a marine and home installation? (out of curiosity)
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
Guru

Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by bligh View Post
what is the difference between a marine and home installation? (out of curiosity)
Much more complicated because of all the angels, corners and small spaces. I've never had an install quoted by the yard, like a house. Usually they will charge by the hour or give you an estimate for the job. It also depends on the type of carpet as well. We had one cabin done in a Berger carpet and it had to be bound before it was layed, since there are no nail strips. We had to be able to pick it up. The binding cost more than the carpet.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #4
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
AK Mary,

If your carpet needs to be removable and you are handy buy a roll of rosin or felt paper.

1. Roll it out in the cabin, tape strips together as needed to make it wide enough.

2. Trim about 1/2" short of the walls and tape down with blue tape.

3. Scribe around the edge with a pair of dividers. Run the pointy end against the wall while the pencil leaves a line on the paper. You may also use a small block of wood as the scribe.

4. In a work area outside the boat thumbtack the pattern to the carpet. Be sure the surface under the carpet is protected or will not be harmed by the tacks.

5. Run the pointy end of the scribe along the line the pencil made. The pencil should be replaced with a crayon or china marker which will leave a legible line on the carpet.

6. Cut along the line with heavy shears or a utility knife with a new blade.

7. Buy carpet binding on line which is quite reasonable and install to give the cut edges a finished look and prevent unraveling.

8. Lay down your new carpet and enjoy.

Rob
Old 10-04-2013, 12:20 AM   #5
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Mary, call Jason Hennerberg of Carpet Specialties at 425-422-3197. He did the carpet on our 4087 Bayliner, and did a great job. Pricing was very reasonable, too.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #6
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
I replace our carpet abut every 3 years. I remove the old in one piece to use as a pattern for the new, take it to the carpet store where I cut out the new carpet, and reinstall. Because there is so many cuts/angles its hard to find an installer and then it cost a lot. The larges area is the salon, 16 ft long, 12 ft wide, so its not that big of a piece. there rest are much smaller, the pilot house is 10 ft wide and 8 ft long, salon is 8 ft long 4 ft wide. Using the old carpet as a pattern make the install quick and easy.

Also I usualy do not replace all the carpet at one time, so I make sure the carpet is one of their standards. The salon gets the most wear and replaced the most often.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #7

City: Fort Lauderdale, FL
Vessel Model: I have keys to lots of boats...
Instead of using a carpet pad under the carpet you might consider lead foil insulation if your are installing over the engine room. Expensive but wonderful for cutting down engine noise while underway.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
Guru

Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtbrokerguy View Post
Instead of using a carpet pad under the carpet you might consider lead foil insulation if your are installing over the engine room. Expensive but wonderful for cutting down engine noise while underway.
Expensive. . Yeah, no kidding!! Just did a resto on a 68 Charger and used it under carpet, doors and firewall. OUCH!! But no road noise, it's like riding in a Cadillac!!

My boats engine room is lined with a lead foil insulation, factory installed. It works great for sound and heat dissipation. I needed to replace some areas and a friend of mine, who works in the Petrochemical industry, came up with a partial roll of surplus, 36" X 30' of lead foil sheeting (the same but minus the insulation). Never seen it before like that, but exactly like the boat stuff without insulation. I used spray adhesive and attached R11 insulation batting and was very close to the original. I have no idea where you can buy it, but maybe a furnace/AC installer??
Hopefully there are no health concerns with the product??
Old 10-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Thank you everyone for your input.

Bligh asked what the difference is between residential & marine installation, and one thing I found is that residential installers aren't always familiar with things like covering hatches & ensuring the carpeting can be easily removed & reinstalled by the owner.

Also, many carpet dealers won't do boat installs. They tell me people balk not at the cost of the material, but at the labor estimate.

I'm hoping to have a couple of installers come out next week to measure & bid, and will share my results with the group. The floorplan of the Kingfisher is fairly straightforward so I'm curious to see the estimate.

Thanks again,
Mary
Old 10-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #10

City: Poulsbo
Carpet

Hi Mary,

We have used the installer from Shomadoggie in Poulsbo several times over the years. Last year we had a carpet made with recycled plastic installed in the house. It is great repelling all sorts of food stains in high traffic areas. Ask for Evy or John tell them Don & Linda refereed you and they can look up what we used. We have had them back to stretch the carpet and there was no charge.
We had a indoor outdoor carpet installed on the back deck of the boat but it promoted algae growth in the winter and we removed it.

Good luck, Don
boaterNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:41 PM   #11
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
I curious about the results of Mary's experience with her carpet installer. New carpeting will be a winter project for our boat. Our carpet is original. It appears that the carpet was installed before the cabinetry and the settees. I am curious how the carpet installer will work around this.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:21 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Mary’s Carpet Update

Mary’s Carpet Update:

About this time last year I started researching carpeting and installation options. I visited 7 different stores and had 3 people come out to bid the project. A year later & I am still in love with the results and have zero complaints.

I can’t recommend these people enough. Here’s who I ended up working with and why:

My carpeting purchase was small potatoes. There’s not a lot of real estate to cover on my boat and thus, not a lot of incentive for the sales people to spend time with me.

I bought my carpeting from Jeff Johnson with Great Floors in Silverdale, WA. 360-692-7732

Jeff was awesome. He was patient, personable & attentive but most important; Jeff was familiar with marine carpet installation and explained why one product might work better for me than another. My selection cost $3.19/sq ft and was a product they stocked in-house.

I learned that on a boat you want:
  • Medium to heavy face/density – too light and the backing shows through when you wrap edges, hatches, etc. Super high density has diminishing returns, so it might not be worth the price.
  • Mid depth is preferred – too short and again, the backing can peek through. Super long shag and your high traffic areas tend to show more compression.
  • Avoid Berber or closed loop – they unravel and the backing often shows through on wrapped edges. I originally wanted Berber because I thought the low pile and woven design would be easy to keep clean and would hide dirt/footprints. No other salesperson ever mentioned the drawbacks to this.
  • Mix or pile cut is best, especially a high twist – Cut edges don’t unravel like a looped product. The high twist adds texture and it resists compression in high traffic areas.
  • You want texture so try to avoid a solid color. Carpets that have strands of multiple colors (think speckled) will provide camouflage for those areas where seams bump up against each other, like around the engine room hatch in my salon. They also hide dirt better.
  • Use only synthetic products, no wool or other fibers that will attract moisture. Same thing with padding. No natural fibers.

I replaced the carpeting in my galley with vinyl.
  • I opted for a hefty, loose-lay vinyl that does not require it to be glued down. Again, something that Jeff recommended.
  • You want a flexible backing for vinyl.
  • Steer clear of anything with a felt backing – you want it to be rubbery.
The vinyl I selected cost $3.29/sq ft.

While I purchased my carpeting from Great Floors in Silverdale, they delivered it to their Lynwood store which was close to my installer.

The installer I used was the same guy Pau Hana recommended:
Jason Hennerberg based out of Edmonds .
425-422-3197
Be patient when waiting for a reply.

Jason came out to Poulsbo to take a look and provided me with an estimate free of charge. From his detailed questions about how I use the boat, how often I access this or that, what do I like/dislike about the current install, I could tell immediately that he was an experienced marine carpet installer. The other installers just asked me what I wanted. They never offered advice.

Jason pointed out details on my twisty stairs that he could correct and made suggestions on how to cover and easily access my numerous hatches and storage areas. Jason does his own binding and at a fraction of the cost of the other guys.

We discussed the change to vinyl flooring in the galley and how my crappy subfloor would need some prep so the vinyl wouldn't be bulgy & bumpy.

I asked about using the leftover vinyl in both of the heads. Jason took some measurements and figured out that if I bought an extra 6" he could do it. So I did. Nice.

When discussing carpet & vinyl selection, his suggestions mirrored everything Jeff had told me.

But the best part? Jason’s firm bid was less than half what the other guys bid. Seriously. Jason and his dad, Jesse, run their own biz. Low overhead = better prices for customers.

So, here I am nearly a year later and everything looks as good now as it did right after installation. I had the boat out for 2 months straight this summer and my carpeting has withstood red wine spills, ketchup & mustard globs, a gallon of dog urine (no kidding), guests dripping saltwater everywhere…hey, I think I need some different friends!!

I hope you find this long-winded update useful. Feel free to post or PM with any questions.

Cheers,
AKMary