Old 06-18-2019, 09:02 AM   #1
Guru

City: Upstate,SC
Vessel Name: Caroliner
Vessel Model: 28' Spira San Miguel
Fuel lines and mounting quiestion.

Aluminum, copper, or stainless steel for fuel lines, pros and cons. I'm leaning toward copper because I can get the valves I am planning to use in brass.

Also, how are your fuel lines mounted? I'm thinking of using P clamps like the pic below. SS of course.

ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:05 AM   #2

City: USA
Vessel Model: 1983 Trojan F44 FBMY
My 1983 Trojan 44 FBMY uses these (called Adel clamps in aviation, anyway...) clamps on the copper lines ran back then at the factory.

All still good.

Flybull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:09 AM   #3
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I just use fuel rated hose with hose barbs and clamps. Simple.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:18 AM   #4
Guru

City: Signal Mtn., TN
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: Defever 44
Our 32-year-old boat has all copper fuel lines, very neat, out-of-the-way original installation and they all seem very sound. I’ve read that fluid turbulence in tight bends can wear thin-wall copper out but have never experienced this. The tubing is mounted with copper straps, usually two screws on each, but I see no reason your SS hangers wouldn’t work.

The only drawback, IMO, is when it’s time to rearrange things. You have to cut, bend and—in my case—flare anew everything you change. I plan to leave the fuel supply/return lines and manifolds as they are, but when I redo our fuel transfer/“polishing” system, I’m thinking about going with hose with professionally swaged flare fittings for ease of installation.

I’ll be watching this thread for all ideas. So thanks for bringing this up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7A4BE032-DAE7-449D-8D0E-808AD9C93BC2.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	90158  
angus99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
I just use fuel rated hose with hose barbs and clamps. Simple.
This is my method as well.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #6

City: Boston
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Discovered 2 small leaks in return lines where they made 90 bend and were clamped with copper strap. Probably vibration related.

Replacing total fuel system with hose, barbed fittings, and clamps. Will be using P clamps to secure hoses. I have bending and flaring tools but hose installation is simpler, quicker, and cheaper.
SoWhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #7
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I just use the proper fuel rated hose. Be sure that you use the correct hose for the particular installation.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:28 PM   #8
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
I use copper fuel lines. But the copper has to be well secured against vibration and a section of fuel hose should connect the copper to the engine to mitigate vibration in the lines. Copper needs closer mounting brackets than hose. Where there is a chance of rubbing, I put a short piece of hose over the copper.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:32 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
My boat was built with rubber fuel lines in 2001. During the refit 2015, I made some plumbing changes to the fuel transfer and polishing system. While I was at it, I replaced all the fuel and return lines as they had gotten stiff. While it's not likely that I'll own the boat in 2030, it occurred to me that a day or 2 of labor and several rolls of hose is a very modest price to pay for peace of mind. While copper is certainly a good choice, nobody is likely to do any preventative maintenance or replace the tubing until they've had a bilge full of diesel.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 02:02 PM   #10
Guru

But copper is so purdy and I've been on my back upside down doing boat yoga to replace a flexible line. It rubbed through at the end of the barb. The line was double clamped and had a straight run but still chafed through.

I will probably use a combination of both. I have the tool to do flared lines. Being a new install, I'd rather have hard lines in areas that may be hard to see or get to for inspections.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:28 PM   #11
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
My boat does not use an easy to understand fuel manifold. I would like to replace it. The factory did such a great job of running color coded copper fluid lines with appropriate fittings such that I am more likely to create a disaster than solve anything. Everything is cooper lines except the last 3 feet to the engines.
tiltrider1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:43 PM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltrider1 View Post
My boat does not use an easy to understand fuel manifold. I would like to replace it. The factory did such a great job of running color coded copper fluid lines with appropriate fittings such that I am more likely to create a disaster than solve anything. Everything is cooper lines except the last 3 feet to the engines.
I am planning two tanks. Not much room on a 27-28 foot boat. I'll probably use two 3 way valves, one for fuel to the engine and one for the return lines.

The only other tanks I am planning at the moment is a waste tank and two water tanks. I haven't totally eliminated propane yet for cooking. That will use copper line and will need to be labeled or marked every so many feet to prevent me or someone else making a big booming oopsie.

Oh, I am planning a diesel heater so I may need a small gravity flow header tank. I'm thinking gold plated copper for that run into the cabin and over to the heater.