Fresh water pump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wwestman

Vessel Name
Excellent Adventure
Vessel Make
1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
In the near future, before all the prices go up due to the increased tariffs, I am going to purchase a spare fresh water pump. The question is: is there a reason or downside to getting a larger one than is currently installed? Going from a 3 gph to a 4 or 5 gph? Other than the higher cost what else might go wrong? They appear to be the same, except for the higher amperage draw. Am I missing something?

In the near future, before all the prices go up due to the increased tariffs, I am going to purchase a spare fresh water pump. The question is: is there a reason or downside to getting a larger one than is currently installed? Going from a 3 gph to a 4 or 5 gph? Other than the higher cost what else might go wrong? They appear to be the same, except for the higher amperage draw. Am I missing something?

It depends.
Assuming that you are talking about your pump for sinks and showers. First you need to match style as some pumps are variable speed without a pressure tank and others are constant speed and require a pressure tank. While it may not be an absolute requirement, when I upgraded my system (higher GPH and higher pressure), I also went to a larger pressure tank to eliminate the pump short cycling.

Ted

You might need heavier wiring for a pump drawing more amps. And a higher gpm pump may need bigger intake plumbing to achieve the rated gpm.
If you're unhappy with the pressure now, you might be able to reset the pressure switch with a higher shut off pressure and a closer start pressure. There are switches that turn on the pump after about a 5 psi loss and the pump runs until the faucet/shower is turned off and shut off pressure is reached.

If you have a diaphragm type pump, it will wear out faster at higher pressures.

If you look at a Mfg. website many of the pumps have the same pump head , the length (size) of the motor varies

The deck wash or bait well pumps seem to have the largest motors, so are my choice.

A large accumulator is a great help for simple pumps 1-6 gallons is fine.Bigger IS better.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom