Old 03-20-2015, 04:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: St Petersburg, FL
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t
Fresh Water Pump

My Jabsco Sensor Max 14 3.7gpm pump just died on me. This is the pump that supplies my fresh water system. I was about to order a replacement (it looks like the sensor max has been replaced by the Par Max) and figured I should ask opinions of pumps. Anyone recommend switching it out for a different one?

Old 03-21-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
We have a Jabsco Par-Max 4 4.3 GPM pump, and it works well, so far. It's a replacement for the original pump, which was a similar model but slightly lower GPM rating, I think.

A Jabsco advantage might be if your unit currently uses the same snap-in ports and if the spacing for those ports would remain the same; installation could be pretty easy.

OTOH, our installation also includes a small accumulator tank, and if your original pump didn't need one... you may find other units more suitable.

-Chris

Old 03-21-2015, 07:13 AM   #3
FF
Guru

I use the Sure Flow , I no longer purchase Jabsco

Their wash down unit has a far larger motor than the FW units , and seems to last very well.

Should the pump portion die any pressure head will fit and the lower pressures required for domestic use should make the pump last even longer.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:38 PM   #4
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
You're probably aware of this already but be careful if installing a stronger pump, or better yet, replace with one the same size.

A fellow a couple berths down from us replaced his last year with a stronger pump, then ended up walking around in ankle deep water when the increased water pressure popped a hose fitting. He was underway and didn't hear the pump running...
Old 03-21-2015, 03:30 PM   #5
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
You're probably aware of this already but be careful if installing a stronger pump, or better yet, replace with one the same size.

A fellow a couple berths down from us replaced his last year with a stronger pump, then ended up walking around in ankle deep water when the increased water pressure popped a hose fitting. He was underway and didn't hear the pump running...
Suggestion: Turn your fresh water pump off while underway.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:49 PM   #6

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: St Christopher
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 50ft tri-cabin
Hi
Just in the process off building a LED panel of warning lights, that will operate anytime a bilge, FWpump, etc operate. Also installing a hour meter on the bilge pumps etc. It will become part of the watch keeping routine to enter bilge pump hrs in the log.
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:52 PM   #7
Guru

City: Little River SC
Vessel Name: JAZ
Vessel Model: Ta Chaio/CT35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin J View Post
Hi
Just in the process off building a LED panel of warning lights, that will operate anytime a bilge, FWpump, etc operate. Also installing a hour meter on the bilge pumps etc. It will become part of the watch keeping routine to enter bilge pump hrs in the log.
windmill29130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 04:34 PM   #8
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Your money might be better spent on a proper high water alarm system. If you don't already have one.

You can't see the lights nor read the meter with you're eyes closed or if you're off the boat. :-)
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:52 PM   #9

City: Mt Crested Butte
Vessel Name: St Christopher
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 50ft tri-cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Bill11 View Post
Your money might be better spent on a proper high water alarm system. If you don't already have one.

You can't see the lights nor read the meter with you're eyes closed or if you're off the boat. :-)
This is more for passages when a pump can be running unknown. High water alarms are good but by then the pump is inoperative and the pump not doing it's job or burnt out?. Or in the FW pump scenario a hose has gone and your losing the FW. If the lights on more than a few seconds you know you have a problem or a tap open. It's like scanning gauges at sea you notice things early. "A drip becomes a leak, becomes a hole becomes a open hose" A little red LED at sea becomes "why is that on?" ummh?
Martin J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:22 PM   #10
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin J View Post
This is more for passages when a pump can be running unknown. High water alarms are good but by then the pump is inoperative and the pump not doing it's job or burnt out?. Or in the FW pump scenario a hose has gone and your losing the FW. If the lights on more than a few seconds you know you have a problem or a tap open. It's like scanning gauges at sea you notice things early. "A drip becomes a leak, becomes a hole becomes a open hose" A little red LED at sea becomes "why is that on?" ummh?
In a proper system when the high water alarm comes on the lower capacity day to day bilge pump may be dead but the alarm should be backed up by a large capacity emergency pump.

Lights and counters are good to have. But they shouldn't supersede a proper alarm system backed up with high capacity pumps of some kind. It should be a hand in hand kind of thing.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #11
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
I'm on my second Jabsco Par Max in a year and this one is failing too. The motor is fine but the pressure switch is crap. I'm going to get rid of this POS and get something better. Jabsco has started making garbage.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:50 PM   #12
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
The Sensor Max is a variable speed pump and probably wasn't installed with an accumulator tank. If you replace it with a pressure switch controlled pump be sure to install a tank.

ShurFlo makes some by pass type pumps that can be used without accumulator tanks.
Old 03-22-2015, 10:02 PM   #13
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Recommend calling the folks at Depco Pump and discussing your needs. Extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 10:26 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
My vote is to replace your old pump with the exact same model you have.

I personally havent found that much difference in lifespans, but I sure have found a difference in time to replace when it fails.

Use the same model and its probably a 20-30 minute job.

Screw around with your plumbing fittings and you'll likely jethro up the installation and or spend a solid afternoon screwing with it.

More advice...

Buy a spare and have it onboard. Same model. Get a spare of each of your pumps onboard, same exact model as well.

Spend your time boating instead of re-designing your plumbing system every time a pump dies.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:03 AM   #15
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
My vote is to replace your old pump with the exact same model you have.

I personally havent found that much difference in lifespans, but I sure have found a difference in time to replace when it fails.

Use the same model and its probably a 20-30 minute job.

Screw around with your plumbing fittings and you'll likely jethro up the installation and or spend a solid afternoon screwing with it.

More advice...

Buy a spare and have it onboard. Same model. Get a spare of each of your pumps onboard, same exact model as well.

Spend your time boating instead of re-designing your plumbing system every time a pump dies.
A MONUMENTAL +1!! Both points are terrific advice.

I replaced a leaky accumulator recently with a similar-model replacement from HopCar. That part was a piece of cake. But in the process, I cleaned up some field-repaired connections with fewer components. Unfortunately, one let loose while cruising to the fishing grounds with Giggitoni also in his boat. I lost all 75 gallons of FW. (No pump light or high water alarm)

After we rafted up and got our bait in the water, I tightened the loose line and proceeded to transfer water from Ray's FW tank with his assistance. Ray hardly noticed the loss of 75 gals from his 250+ gal tank. I think my fridge took a bigger hit in the ratio of Volume available:Volume transferred. It was beer well spent!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 02:08 AM   #16
Guru

City: Somewhere
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer sedan 32'
Jabsco pressure switches have always been garbage. The little Micro or Cherry snap sw. were good sw. but to darn small to stand heavy stop/start currents and frequent cycling.

I bypassed the jabsco with a Square D pressure switch. I finally had to replace it last year after 20 years. I got it off E-bay for about $30-35. I have no idea how much I paid for the first unit. It was a 30-50psi unit.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:43 AM   #17
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsbank View Post
I'm on my second Jabsco Par Max in a year and this one is failing too. The motor is fine but the pressure switch is crap. I'm going to get rid of this POS and get something better. Jabsco has started making garbage.

Was it installed along with an accumulator tank?

-Chris
Old 03-23-2015, 08:29 AM   #18
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post

That's my plan. Don't want to be out cruising for the week or half way around the Loop, and half to source a replacement pump before I can take another shower.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:20 AM   #19
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
The suggestion to replace it with the same pump won't work. They quit making the Sensor Max pumps. If he doesn't have an accumulator tank in the line, I'd be looking at the ShurFlo pumps that don't need accumulator tanks.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:26 PM   #20
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Yes, new one gallon Groco accumulator tank. I since found out that irrigation companies sell them for 1/3 the cost of a Groco. Rats.