Old 06-01-2016, 01:27 PM   #1

City: St. Johns
Vessel Name: Stella Maris
Vessel Model: C&L 39' Sea Ranger
Forward Sole Replacement

Has anyone replaced the sole in the V berth? I have a 1979 MT 36' Europa in need of this work. My concern is how to get the new sole under the existing owners bulkhead and the head. I think the frames for the bunks are straight forward and shouldn't be much of a problem.

I really don't want to rip out the entire cabin area if it can be avoided. If anyone has any suggestions, recommendations, etc., I'm open and willing to give anything a try.

Thanks,

Roland
Saber4mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 02:49 PM   #2

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Poach
Vessel Model: Sabreline Trawler
Why are you replacing the sole?
Poach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 03:21 PM   #3

Water damage

The sole is rotted because of water damage which entered above the belm window and door.

Thanks,

Roland
Old 06-02-2016, 05:00 AM   #4
FF
Guru

Put down a layer of 3/4 ply with a paper thin layer of "teak and holly", just to fit the damaged floor. About $150-$200 for a 4x8 sheet.

A paper template should work for a good fit and 6 coats of varnish should keep you from needing to refinish the sole.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:25 AM   #5
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Most of my repairs on a falling apart Taiwan Trawler have fallen into these categories...

1. Replace like originsl.
2. Cut out rotten and sister in new structural pieces, cover with new surface.
3. Cover small rotten areas that have been dug out with structural filler and cover with new surface.

Without seeing what pieces and parts you have that are rotten....really no best way to suggest an attack.

Without disturbing an thing else in these areas except the deck....doubtful you will be able to do much more than cut, sister and cover.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 01:13 PM   #6

Thanks for all the input...but the key to the repair is replacing all the rotted sole. Question: are the bulkheads for the owners stateroom and head resting on the existing sole or are they resting on the stringers?

The later will make life a whole life easier. If the bulkheads rest on the sole, is there room to slide a new piece under it?

The results of neglect, it's really sad!

Roland
Old 06-02-2016, 03:58 PM   #7
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber4mike View Post
Thanks for all the input...but the key to the repair is replacing all the rotted sole. Question: are the bulkheads for the owners stateroom and head resting on the existing sole or are they resting on the stringers?

The later will make life a whole life easier. If the bulkheads rest on the sole, is there room to slide a new piece under it?

The results of neglect, it's really sad!

Roland
Maybe someone with your exact model boat can answer that......

For the rest of us.....can't commemt....only you can answer those questions....as not many of these old Tiawan boats are built the same.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 04:27 PM   #8
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. S4. I replaced the floor in the aft cabin of a 34' MT. Expanding on Mr. ps's comment "...not many of these old Tiawan boats are built the same.", the new floor (SAME thickness of ply) just slipped under the head and locker bulkheads, meaning the bulkheads were resting on the floor. I removed pretty well everything except the bulkheads. Drilled out all the teak dowels and carefully removed the structural members comprising the two berths, a small locker and a set of stairs. Installation of same was the reverse of removal after the floor was done.

Even though I have little experience with other than this one vessel, I think it can be said for the Taiwanese boats in general is the cabinet work is well done . The materials may be crap but the craftsmanship (joinery) is very good.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:47 PM   #9
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Saber4mike, can you stick your head or a camera through the forward sole access panel? Pop some pics. (I did and the stringers are quite near under the plywood.) Climb down into the ER, grovel forward, and you should see the aft end of that forward cabin. With luck, you'll see the edge of the sole plywood. Our 84 Europa is probably pretty similar, but as noted, there's apparently lots of variation in these TTs.

Lazy being good, I'd bet that the forward plywood subfloor / sole went down on the stringers and on blocking at the right height where it meets the hull. That would be as low as the fiberglass structure would allow, it would be an easy first step, and a platform for the workers to work off of. There would be no plywood where they did not need it. (That said, our old sailboat's bulkheads went in before the soles, but there is no subfloor.)

It's probably reasonable to believe that the interior finish work was started from the bow. Thus the last thing to go in would be the bulkhead between the lower, forward cabins and the main cabin. In our boat, the sole in the head is separate and in several different levels and pieces, and I'll bet there's nothing under the bathtub. Some of the cabinetwork would have been preassembled in the shop and brought to the boat in chunks; you may be able to figure out how it was done and remove it in the same chunks.

You may be able to Sawzall out sections in such a way that you could replace sections as you go. You may be able to take out, say, the 3/4" plywood subfloor and replace it with two thicknesses of 3/8" plywood strips with the joints staggered. That way, perhaps the bulkheads can be maintained in place.

Pics! And good luck!
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 11:26 AM   #10

Cabin Sole Replacement

Thanks everyone for your input...come Monday I have the feeling that all your recommendations are going to be put to the test.

Will provide pics and updates.

Again, thanks all!