Forward hatches made of wood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyfarkas

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sababa
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander Marine Trader
A sharing moment. I had a leak on 3 forward hatches on my MT40 depending on severity of rain. I noticed that PO had aggressively caulked. Before adding even more caulk, I noticed that these wooden hatches closed on simple butt joints. The downpour water was simply making a right turn to ingress the interior. Quite differently than modern aluminum hatches that have built-in tracks to channel water away.
My not so bright solution was to go to my buddy the tinsmith and had him make me a 40ft run of anodized colored aluminum with a 90 bend per my measurements such that it directs water down and out onto the deck instead of into the cabin. Cut to length on site, and installed on the bottom frame of the hatch,
My leaky teaky has been dry since.

This is very available at any tinsmith roofing places. Very cheap, and once installed virtually invisible I used a brown standard color. Just make sure to use the thinnest gauge, so the window closing action is not overly disturbed.

I thought you were about to say you'd replaced the hatch with an aluminum one.

"I thought you were about to say you'd replaced the hatch with an aluminum one."

Pains me to say it but Goiot (French) still makes the best cruising hatches.

Opens from either end , with no effort.

Back
Top Bottom