Foredeck Cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Willy
Vessel Make
Willard Nomad 30'
On my road travels in lower BC a few days ago I saw this slick canvas over the foredeck of a boat. Many of our boats may be able to utilize this idea. Picture is in Deep Bay.

Attachments

• DSCF2084 copy.jpg
    DSCF2084 copy.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 155
Eric,
Thanks for posting, looks like a great idea.
Ken

I like it, but then I am all about shade.

I don't get it, that is, the advantage of the cover.

In Eric's above example wood boats rot from the top down so keeping rain off the foredeck would preserve the boat.

READY2GO lives aboard in a sunny climate so reaps the benefits of a shaded foredeck.

Here in FL, a canvas shaded forexeck is good for 15 degrees cooler in the sun. Here's an example on a Great Harbor N-37. Might not be attractive, but it's practical.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 147
Here in FL, a canvas shaded forexeck is good for 15 degrees cooler in the sun...

:thumb: Yup and it also allows us to keep the hatch in the forward stateroom and the center window in the pilot house open in a downpour.

Attachments

• Picture 266.jpg
    Picture 266.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 106
We use this awning at anchor in the Sea of Cortez, and it really helps. The top snaps on around the bridge and the bottom is secured with webbing; 3 minutes to put up or down.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1450194433.444935.jpg

Mark,
Your foredeck and the steel stuff on it probably won't rust as fast w a cover over it. However weld beads are a better sealant than goo on a newish boat like yours.

Your comment is clearly smart ass and points to one or more advantages to the steel boat. I'da done the same thing .. well put Mark.

How much insulation do "those" boats have? My previous fiberglass boats had none. My steel boat has two-to-three inches. My boat's interior temperature is close to the ambient temperature.

Yup...A big reduction in heat on a sunny day...

20150628_141029-vi.jpg

Like the color on top of your forward cabin. Mine is colored tan and helps to reduce glare off a white surface (although it is warmer than a white surface.) Forward-leaning pilothouse windows would help shade the pilothouse.

Last edited:
How much insulation do "those" boats have? My previous fiberglass boats had none. My steel boat has two-to-three inches. My boat's interior temperature is close to the ambient temperature.

0 That is why shade is so important.

Forward-leaning pilothouse windows would help shade the pilothouse.

Despite all the flack you guys get for those wrong way windows, I like them!
Without my cover on a sunny day, my salon is like a terrarium...

We have examples of similarly covered decks on wooden boats here in Ketchikan. Let me assure you folks it is not to keep the sun off! More the case with over 150 inches of rain per year, the decks leak!! Blue tarps are the color of choice.

Al-Ketchikan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom