Old 01-27-2019, 02:55 PM   #1

City: Christchruch
Ford Leehman 120HP - Looking for advice

Hi All, I just purchased a yacht with a Ford Leehman 120HP. Last weekend whilst out for a sail I noticed an oil leak from the bottom of the raw water pump. The leak appears to come from the indent the pump has at the bottom. It only leaks whilst the engine is running and the oil does appear to have some water in it as well. I am not familiar with this engines but for what I read the raw water pump cools the oil through the oil cooler. Any thoughts on what can be the problem? Thank you in advance.

Horizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:15 PM   #2
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Welcome aboard. Can you contact American Diesel in Virginia? They are excellent with advice and parts.

Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:33 PM   #3
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
That pump is driven by a gear that is in the crankcase. The seal can be replaced.
KK-42097
meridian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:50 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
The FL 120 stock pump has had some issues and there is an upgrade available to a Johnson pump. There have been several discussions on the Forum so maybe do a search and call American Diesel as Comodave suggested. Even with your time zone difference, AD is worth talking to.

FL 120 leaking water pump - need advice
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 03:54 PM   #5
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Blue Heaven
Vessel Model: Albin 43 classic double cabin, twin 135 Lehmans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Hi All, I just purchased a yacht with a Ford Leehman 120HP. Last weekend whilst out for a sail I noticed an oil leak from the bottom of the raw water pump. The leak appears to come from the indent the pump has at the bottom. It only leaks whilst the engine is running and the oil does appear to have some water in it as well. I am not familiar with this engines but for what I read the raw water pump cools the oil through the oil cooler. Any thoughts on what can be the problem? Thank you in advance.
The other info that has been posted is right on. The raw water pump essentially cools the entire engine. The raw water from that pump goes through the oil cooler, the "fresh water" heat exchanger (which cools the engine) the transmission cooler then out through the exhaust "elbow" which cools the exhaust gases after they leave the engine.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 04:53 PM   #6

City: Seattle, WA USA
Vessel Name: FORTITUDE
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse
Ford Leehman 120HP - Looking for advice

You mentioned two issues; one is a leak at the pump and the other is water in the oil. If that’s correct the second issue is more serious and needs to be diagnosed. Oil and water can also mix in the heat exchanger.
Facebook: Bluewater 40 Owners Group
Airstream345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:05 PM   #7

thank you for your message. The oil that accumulates in the bilge (very small amount) appears to have a few water drops. I have asked a local mechanic to look into it for me. Hopefully nothing too serious. Regards
Old 01-27-2019, 05:07 PM   #8

cool thank you for explaining the workings of the water pump, I am learning fast about the FL. All and all it appears to be a good reliable engine. Regards
Old 01-27-2019, 05:08 PM   #9

thank you for the link, I may need to look at a full replacement eventually. Regards
Old 01-27-2019, 05:09 PM   #10
Guru

The replacement pump comes with a metal pin to plug the oil passage. They cost about $500 from ADC. The old one can suddenly break its drive connection, which is why you should update it.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:09 PM   #11

thank you for the advice, just waiting for the mechanic to report back, hopefully nothing too serious
Old 01-27-2019, 05:11 PM   #12

Hi, I just had a look at the American Diesel website, looks like the place to go for spares. I also noticed that there is an American Diesel store here in New Zealand, I may contact them as well as they are probably linked with he store in the US.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:17 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
.. I also noticed that there is an American Diesel store here in New Zealand, I may contact them as well as they are probably linked with he store in the US.
Can you post the NZ dealer website? Probably an importer/stockist rather than actually ADC.
There is supposed to be a stockist in Sydney, if so, well hidden. I imported parts from ADC, and some from helpful fredwarner1, on ebay. I think ADC would be the only source for the updated pump, the drive gears looked to be specially made by a toolmaker/fitter/machinist.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:25 PM   #14

I just had a closer look at the NZ website, it appears that their main line of business is selling Japanese imported cars not so much diesel engine spare parts. Here is the link in any case https://www.japanesecartrade.com/americandie/