Old 11-14-2007, 08:11 PM   #21

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
Foot Grease

I have found that bare feet or even sandals are not a good idea on my boat because there are a few things like handrail stanchions that will break your toes or at least bloody them.

My four engine cowls have molds which extend from the inboard sides of the bulwarks and get black marks from "unauthorized" footwear. No other areas seem subject to any noticeable abuse from street shoes. Maybe I need to repaint my cowls black - not.

rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:23 AM   #22
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Foot Grease

rgano, (and everyone else for that matter)

Best solution for a boat sandal, is Keen footwear. They make a nonskid, nonmarking sandal with toe protection. Even a flip flop.

Also, not all black soled shoes are marking, in fact, these days most aren't, though it can be hard to tell.

Problem with most boat shoes, sperry, sebago, etc. is that while they are great for your boat they are lousy for your feet and back. No support whatsoever unless you put some sort of orthotic in them.

Here is the best place to buy Keen btw.

www.travelcountry.com

Doug

Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #23
Veteran Member

RE: Foot Grease

Wear what you like when you visit us, bare feet, high heels, four doggy feet (thats all Sam our black lab has to wear lol), this is our home we want you to relax and enjoy your time here because that is what we do.

Heres a pic of Sam doing what he loves, chasing chooks (seagulls).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	l1000065.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	403  
Gammelvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:33 AM   #24
FF
Guru

Foot Grease

In my "yachty " days Boat shoes were ONLY worn ON the boat , not down the dock or anywhere BUT aboard.

Now with a commercial style boat with flint and epoxy (Carrier flight deck paint) in all the walkways , come on in anything but spiked boots is just fine.

Not a single SQ inch of teak , or exterior varnish , to ruin my day!

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 06:31 AM   #25
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42

Quote:
Marin wrote:

But you guys are all talking about people feet. What about dog feet? Dogs have only five sweat outlets and four of them are feet. One of our slip neighbors bought non-skid booties for his black lab. He did it because on a sailboat every deck surface is curved or slanted, so the dog quickly learned that the non-skid booties are Good. Our decks are teak and we figure any oily sweat that comes off our dog's feet is just going to be good for the wood, so we don't care.

So what do you do about friends (or non-friends) who want to come aboard with their dogs with their sweaty, stinky paws?

-- Edited by Marin at 16:54, 2007-10-29
The guy who invented non-skid soles (Sperry??) modeled them after his dog's feet. He wondered why his dog could run around all day on wet surfaces without slipping. When he looked at the surface of his dog's paws, he went back and put a bunch of razor cuts on his smooth surfaced flip flops... voila!

So your boat shoes are really just dog feet replicas!
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:09 AM   #26
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Foot Grease

I've heard that too, Keith. It's pretty interesting.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 08:38 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Quote:
I second the Keen recommendation.* Great shoes.

But if the decks are wet I get dirty footprints either way.* Try to be clever and wash off the feet/sandals from the get-go, then go from the boat to the dock and back and ... dammit!

Dougcole wrote:

rgano, (and everyone else for that matter)

Best solution for a boat sandal, is Keen footwear. They make a nonskid, nonmarking sandal with toe protection. Even a flip flop.

Also, not all black soled shoes are marking, in fact, these days most aren't, though it can be hard to tell.

Problem with most boat shoes, sperry, sebago, etc. is that while they are great for your boat they are lousy for your feet and back. No support whatsoever unless you put some sort of orthotic in them.

Here is the best place to buy Keen btw.

www.travelcountry.com

Doug

AdamT is offline   Reply With Quote