Flybridge seating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

psneeld

Guru
Vessel Name
Sold
Vessel Make
Was an Albin/PSN 40
I am redoing my teak decks, starting with the flying bridge deck.* I have pulled up the teak deck and an about to lift my flying bridge fairing and railing up a few inches to seal under it too.

In the process I am going to cut out the two back to back seats that are up there. The way Albin did them, all the wood under is rotting and there is so much cosmetic work*required...just aint worth all that dab and sand.* Plus the helm seat leaves a lot to be desired and the bench seats are not all that comfortable... but do have valuable storage under them.

So my question is....if you had a completely naked flying bridge with just a steering*wheel and mast in the space...what kind of seating and table would you put up there?* Obviously all items would have to have some sort of a way to*secure*them...but when in use...if it gets that rough...I'm going below to steer anyway.* So no matter what type of furnishings and storage lockers go up there I can figure out how to secure it both for use or storage underway.

Any fun ideas?

(ignore the naked flying bridge statement
biggrin.gif
..too scary if you knew me
wink.gif
)

-- Edited by psneeld on Wednesday 4th of January 2012 07:12:30 AM

** I would put some comfortable pedestal swivel seats, three, with the most comfortable one at the helm.* For other seating and storage I would use bench and lounge type seats,* AKA "Pontoon boat" seating these are available in many configurations can be used staright along a side or wrap inside a corner.

*Here is one of many suppliers,* http://www.pontoonstuff.com/

***** I have had them on my previous and present boat since 2002 and they have held up fine. The cushions are hinged and open to a large storage area. Mine have stainless hardware, and this is important, as long as they back up to and attach to a railing you will not have to drill any holes in the deck.
Some are a bit colorful and don't have that "traditional" look but they are very comfortable and practical.
Here are a couple of photos on my previous boat a Camano and current Monk 36

Steve W.

Attachments

• flybridge seating.jpg
    flybridge seating.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 1,159
  • flybridge lounge seat gumbo.jpg
    flybridge lounge seat gumbo.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 734
  • flybridge lounge open gumbo.jpg
    flybridge lounge open gumbo.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 230
We modified our Albin bench seats and they are very comfortable now. We made a "frames" out of 2 x 6, covered them with white vinyl, and wife made a new seat top with dense foam covered by sunbrella.* Makes those low trawler seats PERFECT height. PLUS gives added storage. *We have since modified the rear facing seats the same way. The firstt 2 pics show that mod although you have to look to see it.

The next 3 are what we had done with the old Mainship 34. Simple boxes with removable tops with padding and sunbrella covering. The tops are removable not hinged. Not shown are the padded back supports we made and clamped to the stainless rail.

Attachments

• img_0914 (768 x 512).jpg
    img_0914 (768 x 512).jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 171
  • img_0436 (768 x 576).jpg
    img_0436 (768 x 576).jpg
    101 KB · Views: 156
  • e-mail seats1.jpg
    e-mail seats1.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 123
  • e-mail seats2.jpg
    e-mail seats2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 162
  • e-mail seats3.jpg
    e-mail seats3.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 143
jleonard wrote:
We modified our Albin bench seats and they are very comfortable now. We made a "frames" out of 2 x 6, covered them with white vinyl, and wife made a new seat top with dense foam covered by sunbrella.* Makes those low trawler seats PERFECT height. PLUS gives added storage. *We have since modified the rear facing seats the same way. The firstt 2 pics show that mod although you have to look to see it.

The next 3 are what we had done with the old Mainship 34. Simple boxes with removable tops with padding and sunbrella covering. The tops are removable not hinged. Not shown are the padded back supports we made and clamped to the stainless rail.
*Thanks...funny enough...my helm seat was that height from the factory...then the PO bolted a Captains swivel seat (without the swivel) on top which was actually pretty comfortable.* Still...just don't like the back to back seats.

I'm thinking simple...like*4 nice, folding*captains chairs forward...And the folders can be rearranged around a table... Then*one 8 foot, one 6 foot storage boxes just wide enough to have comfortable lounge pads for sunbathing.* The longer would be for all my fishing stuff (it's either that or replace all my long rods with 2 piece rods...damn the luck...new fishing gear! :) The shorter would hold long stuff like mops, boat hooks, etc

-- Edited by psneeld on Wednesday 4th of January 2012 09:36:15 AM

-- Edited by psneeld on Wednesday 4th of January 2012 09:37:16 AM

Capn Chuck wrote:
Here is our posting on our recent flybridge renovations, http://trawler-beach-house.blogspot.com/2011/12/trawler-flybridge-makeover.html . Hope this helps. Chuck
*Thanks Capt Chuck...but I'm really looking for WAY out of the box ideas....once the seats are gone...I know I'm going to love the wide open look and it's true flexibility.* I really don't plan on ONLY running the boat from the fly bridge...most of the time I* may run it from down below so the upper helm is not the PRIMARY center of attention for me...I see the flying bridge more as a warm weather entertainment area or lounging area with nice storage for items that don't neet to be stored inside

If I did one side with back to back seats...I'd be more tempted to go with the fold down ones to turn it into a recliner...most of the time...it would still be back to backs which is what I want to get rid of.

Plus for me,,,the seats arent just screwed in...they are moulded in or at least built in, faired then gel coated right along with the sides of the bridge fairing.

-- Edited by psneeld on Wednesday 4th of January 2012 11:31:06 AM

psneeld wrote:
Any fun ideas?
*Here is*something done by one of the members of the Grand Banks owners forum*regarding flying bridge tables that*we really like.* In fact*we like it so much we intend to do this if we can find the hinge hardware.

These tables hinge down to lie flat against the side railings.* So they would not interfere with a flying bridge cover like the one we have.

Free-standing chairs could be used around the tables, or in our case we would use the rear-facing bench seats and free-standing chairs.* On a GB the flying bridge seat base is also the propane locker so it's beneficial to keep it.

Attachments

• tables.jpg
    tables.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 176
We have bench seats, but they run along both sides of*the flybridge, and the storage underneath is huge.* A couple of pillows make for comfy lounging. Between the flybridge and the sundeck, we can seat 10 comfortably for sundowners.*

Attachments

• p1010260.jpg
    p1010260.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 152
  • p1010261.jpg
    p1010261.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 170
Maybe I can narrow down what I am leaning toward.* Very few built in fiberglass seats are really that comfortable unless you get lucky with a fairly drastic mod and some good custom upholstry.

I was wondering if you GOT RID of your bench seats...what would you use?* What have you seen?

I'm gonna start with a completely clear deck. ...my options become unlimited...obviously the budget isn't.

So far some nice setups...but I dislike the back to back seats...that's why mine aren't being refirbed...they are leaving.

The fold down tables are nice...if I were keeping the aft facing seats I would do the same...just get some stainless strap and bend it around the railing and through bolt it to some nice hardwood ply...the straps would be the hinges. I may still do that only with 4 captains folding chairs and the 2 boxes I described.

Just say one 40 Albin 4 sale that had a small sink/icemaker/fridge built across to in front of the mast...but too tall.* I thought about a console that would include sink/ icemaker/grill storage...but I don't know if thas in the near furture as I would like to make it slick as a moulded fiberglass unit.* I've also thought about a cabinet with a washer/dryer in it as space below is pretty tight.

Keep the ideas coming...bits and pieces of good ideas will give rise to a plan sooner or later :)

How many people do you anticipate riding up on the flying bridge when the weather permits you to use it? That can help determine what a good seating configuration should be.

Marin wrote:Here is*something done by one of the members of the Grand Banks owners forum*regarding flying bridge tables that*we really like.* In fact*we like it so much we intend to do this if we can find the hinge hardware.
*Marin,* Is this what you're looking for?

SDG201510_general.jpg

Seamar has plenty of hinge options available here.* I found a set for my lazarette hatch while trolling the aisles months ago.* Great place to get lost in.

No. The stainless hinges the GB fellow used have a rail clamp on one side of the hinge pin and a flat mounting plate (as in your photo) on the other side. Very slick mounting system.

Lots of weight ,on top of the boat,, At all times just for furniture used a few times a year?

I would build a light weight storage box and STORE a folding table and a bunch of chairs.

A snap shakle from the chair seat , and a couple of flush rings would take care of the windy or rolly days the chairs were in use. or left out.

A second advantage is you can carry diffreent style chairs, lounge chairs for sunbathers , upright for the card players, diners or race comittie.

-- Edited by FF on Thursday 5th of January 2012 06:10:58 AM

Marin wrote:
How many people do you anticipate riding up on the flying bridge when the weather permits you to use it? That can help determine what a good seating configuration should be.

You know boats....mostly 2, smetimes 6, rarely 12*** *
biggrin.gif

Just like bunks on a boat...thats why manufacturer layouts often are impractical for cruisers whether flybridge/salon seating or sleeping.

FF wrote:
Lots of weight ,on top of the boat,, At all times just for furniture used a few times a year?

I would build a light weight storage box and STORE a folding table and a bunch of chairs.

A snap shakle from the chair seat , and a couple of flush rings would take care of the windy or rolly days the chairs were in use. or left out.

A second advantage is you can carry diffreent style chairs, lounge chairs for sunbathers , upright for the card players, diners or race comittie.

-- Edited by FF on Thursday 5th of January 2012 06:10:58 AM
*This is mostly where I'm headed..unless somebody convinced me I was out of my mind or the built in seats are needed to stiffen the whole bridge structure...which I have been eyeballing.

Was just wondering if anyone had seen or used some slick, durable furniture that's also comfy.** I have seen some nice cane chairs on a few boats (like the old Trumpys, etc) but would have to stumble across them or search like crazy unless somebody used them, thought they were great and had a source.

But thanks...your suggestions reflect my thinking exactly...but I'm not nearly worried about the weight as much as the flexibility because when rough...the live load (people) naturally headsfor the main deck just for comfort.

I have to live with the two built in fibreglass seats up top - one double to starb'd, behind the wheel, and another double to port. Not hugely comfy but adequate, as like you, we don't spend a lot of time up there except cruising slowly in really calm waters, nice weather, and where we want a great view, or at anchor in nice weather or balmy nights. (Like Marin, I get nervous being away from where I can feel and smell how the boat is going for too long). The rest of the flybridge was clear, so I placed 2 solar panels at the port aft end, well out of the traffic zone, and then either side we have, secured to the rail, a couple of light-weight, tubular PVC deck chairs, which with the top 3rd down makes a bench seat for three each side, or with top raised, a nice recliner deck chair arrangement for two. No storage in them of course, but light weight up top appeals to me. To reduce windage we don't even have canvas round the flybridge deck rail. Works for us.

-- Edited by Peter B on Thursday 5th of January 2012 06:42:57 AM

Attachments

• image033.jpg
    image033.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 158
  • image042.jpg
    image042.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 162
Scott

A previous owner removed the built in seating on the bridge of our boat.* We love the flexibility and wide open space this gives us.* We use folding deck chairs even at the upper helm.* Still looking for some nautical looking cane or teak furniture as the final solution.* When underway unused chairs are folded flat and attached to railings or stored under the front cowel.

Reduced storage is a limitation but we don't miss what we never had.**

Marin,* I like the folding table idea.* Please post if you find a source for the hardware.

-- Edited by Doug on Thursday 5th of January 2012 12:17:02 PM

Doug wrote:
Scott

A previous owner removed the built in seating on the bridge of our boat.* We love the flexibility and wide open space this gives us.* We use folding deck chairs even at the upper helm.* Still looking for some nautical looking cane or teak furniture as the final solution.* When underway unused chairs are folded flat and attached to railings or stored under the front cowel.

Reduced storage is a limitation but we don't miss what we never had.**

Marin,* I like the folding table idea.* Please post if you find a source for the hardware.

-- Edited by Doug on Thursday 5th of January 2012 12:17:02 PM
*Thanks...any good, bad, ugly chairs you would recommend?

I still think the easy railing hinge for a table would be a stainless, brass or aluminum strap wrapped around the rail bent in tight and through bolted on a table top... whether just a piece of ply or fancier table top. A center bolt could make it clamp tighter but I doubt necessary.* Simple, cheap, easy to make.

-- Edited by psneeld on Thursday 5th of January 2012 12:25:06 PM

psneeld wrote:
*...or the built in seats are needed to stiffen the whole bridge structure...
*That's something to consider although I suspect that, as on our GB, the "box base" seats on your flying bridge are not critical to the stiffness of the cabin top.* I fished for years on a friend's 28' Uniflite sportfisherman in Hawaii and he soon*found that the factory-installed flying bridge seat base did not supply the desired stiffness to the cabin top*in the rough water around the islands.* So he removed the base and built a much stiffer base that did the job properly.

But on our GB the bases are simply screwed to the fiberglass cabin top with small sheet-metal screws and some sealant.* If we took them off I doubt there would be any difference in the stiffness of the cabin top at all.

I would think, since you do drive from up there when the weather is good, that you would at least want a pedestal-base helm chair at the wheel.* Something that's confortable to sit in and provides good stability for the helmsman.* And a second one beside it might be nice if your boating partner is up there a lot with you, too.

Everything else can be moveable, portable, foldable, etc.

I faced the same problem with the built in back to back seating on my Albin. Horrible seating, uncomfortable and way to low to see to drive. I saw all the modifications others made from the simple build up to increase height to mounting a helm seat on the existing seat. I even built a temp build up box and tried it for a few trips. Height good, not near enough back support. The helm seat on top of the existing seat just looked terrible. I finally just cut out all of the old seating and started with a clean slate. Here is the result. Mounted a couple of real comfy captains chairs, then had the bench seat built at a local aluminum welder who builds tuna towers and center console boat seats. The rest I built my self out of 1/2" Starboard. You can see there is a built in washer/dryer, a small fridge for beverages, and lots of storage. Seating for 5. The small box to the*left of the port Captains chair is storage and a seat where someone can sit facing forward or*aft to visit. *I have a lower helm, but never use it so this is my main nav station.

We often travel with 4 or 5 folks onboard and this has worked out very well. Not a cheap way to go, but I like it.

Attachments

• flybridge1.jpg
    flybridge1.jpg
    168.2 KB · Views: 138
  • flybridge2.jpg
    flybridge2.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 179
  • flybridge3.jpg
    flybridge3.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 127
  • flybridge4.jpg
    flybridge4.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 143
  • flybridge5.jpg
    flybridge5.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 120
  • flybridge6.jpg
    flybridge6.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 135
  • flybridge7.jpg
    flybridge7.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 143
Ooooh, now I hate my flybridge...but there's no way I can do all that...

I have been toying with the idea of putting a washer/dryer up there since I bought the boat...just not sure I want it sticking up past the coaming because I don't have canvas all around.

Plus I may free up enough room in the engine room when I replace my fuel tanks.

We have only the three original swivel seats on the fly bridge.* I thought of putting a bench seat with storage at the rear but I didn't find one I liked, it's added weight, and it might block my vision when docking.*

We have two folding chairs that are used mainly on the dock, but if we have more than three people on board, we bring one or both up to the fly bridge.

The one time I had nine people on board, the extras sat on the bow.* Just 6 knots or so on the protected ICW behind Myrtle beach, SC.

The open space on the fly bridge gives us the ablity to lay out on gym mats and nap or sunbathe.

-- Edited by rwidman on Tuesday 24th of January 2012 07:02:44 AM

Attachments

• abcd 001.jpg
    abcd 001.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 85

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom