Flooring choices for engine room ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dune

Vessel Make
Viking 65 CP MY (run at trawler speeds !)
Full beam standup engine room, has 4 plywood floor panels between the engines that can be raised to access batteries, seacocks, strainers, etc. Wondering what I might cover those 3/4" plywood panels with that would look "high tech" but not be heavy....as the plywood is already pretty heavy by itself.

Ideally something that could be cut with carpet knife...like rubberized diamond plate or tread pattern.... but thinner than usual so not so heavy ? Or aluminum diamond plate that is so thin it could be cut with tin snips ? or ?

Or aluminum diamond plate that is so thin it could be cut with tin snips ? or ?

If you own or have access to a circular saw, turn the wood blade around and run it backwards to cut thin gauge metal and aluminum. Definitely wear eye and ear protection.

Much cleaner cut.

yes for the thicker stuff this is a laminate similar to what my cabinet shop uses for back splashes in commercial kitchens in can be cut with a strong box cutter

I use the Ez cut tool works pretty good

metal roofing I do as you mentioned turn a ply blade around

Perhaps cork.
Warm to touch and easy on your knees.
Probably will absorb some sound.
Probably will stain from engine fluids.
Probably good traction.
Cheap.

Craig,
Didn't know that and have cut quite a bit of sheet metal recently.

Last edited:
Perhaps cork.
Warm to touch and easy on your knees.
Probably will absorb some sound.
Probably will stain from engine fluids.
Probably good traction.
Cheap.

Craig,
Didn't know that and have cut quite a bit of sheet metal recently.

now that is Idea how well does it clean up

G-Floor RaceDay 12 in. x 12 in. Peel and Stick Diamond Tread Slate Grey Polyvinyl Tile (40 sq. ft. / case)-T95DT12SG40P3 - The Home Depot
e0aa71e1-b558-4cbc-90da-50b0092c47f5_1000.jpg

I have aluminum diamond plate on the engine room floor. I love it- easy to clean non slip surface that looks sharp. I hate it- get down on your (old like mine) knees and it sucks!!! Big Time. Leaves neat marks in the skin through my jeans if I am in one place very long.

I recently bought these from harbor freight of all places, I cut it on the band saw at home to the width of the floor boards on both sides of the crawl around E.R. in our Ocean Alexander.. it is really kind on the knees.. and low cost enough to pitch if it gets too stained.

Anti-Fatigue Roll Mat

HOLLYWOOD

I have aluminum diamond plate on the engine room floor. I love it- easy to clean non slip surface that looks sharp. I hate it- get down on your (old like mine) knees and it sucks!!! Big Time. Leaves neat marks in the skin through my jeans if I am in one place very long.

Agreed!
I keep a gardners' knee pad in the ER. I have UP marked on one side to keep from getting the "top" dirty.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I used this stuff: oil/chemical resistant, looks good and soft underfoot.

Vetus Non-Slip Deck Covering
Hmmm...looks perfect...but comes in frustrating sizes for this purpose as I would need two 3 x 8 rolls (over $450 plus serious shipping costs) and would be a lot of waste.

Last edited:
Perhaps cork.
might be ok but I'd rather go for a commercial ship look, hence my high tech remark in original post. Seems like any oil spill on cork would be impossible to remove.

I used those 12" square garage grating snap together tiles because they let wet stuff go through and remained slip resistant. Light weight
Cactus Mat 2554-CT Dri-Dek 12" x 12" Black Vinyl Interlocking Drainage Floor Tile - 9/16" Thick
Not really feeling the love on those things. I have them already in cockpit storage area floor and you have to remove or at least fold back to access a removable deck plate. You could in theory glue them down but then how would you clean up spills ? In other words for my engine room purposes they would just add another layer of PITA. I want something bonded to the plywood floor that comes up with the floor and protects the floor...without adding much weight to the floor, which is already a bit heavy.

I understand. They are not perfect but easy to cut and use. I put a screw in each end of a section so I could lift up for cleaning but still hold in place.

I always thought that the aluminum diamond plate looked very classy.

Any idea what the below flooring style is called in the USA ? I see the words "round stud" banded about but seems like every link to the stuff in sheet form is either UK or Chinese source. Wondering if it called something else here ?

http://www.ufitflooring.com/flooring/rs10006-ashgrey-plain-rubber-flooring.jpg

No problem to find it in 12" squares at Home Depot or the Vetus sheets already mentioned (the Vetus stuff being better with more traction....but very expensive) but to find "round stud" pattern in thin sheets seems to be difficult here...unless it's called something else.

I recently bought these from harbor freight of all places, I cut it on the band saw at home to the width of the floor boards on both sides of the crawl around E.R. in our Ocean Alexander.. it is really kind on the knees.. and low cost enough to pitch if it gets too stained.

Anti-Fatigue Roll Mat

HOLLYWOOD

Nice. I have the aluminum diamond plate glued and screwed to plywood, and while it's light I wouldnt want to crawl around on it.

I'm in the process of redoing the flooring (adding some more,etc.) in the bilge and I'm just going to use epoxy paint over the plywood. That way I can slide all over without getting splinters.:) Oh yeah, spills are easy to clean up, also.

Two thoughts: 1) Diamond plate aluminum isn't hard to cut with a Skil saw, and 2) it is non-combustible. In an engine compartment, the fewer things that can burn, melt, or cause smoke, the better.

Use carpet. The PO had left enough on board from the re-carpeting for me to cover the ER floor areas (62 sq ft) and its great. Soft if you are on your knees and adds extra sound dampening.

You take care to avoid spills, which just waste stuff anyway. And your ER doesn't smell of diesel, right? If it does, then find the leak and fix it!

Attachments

• ER from Entry 2sml.jpg
    ER from Entry 2sml.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 131
Why do you guys keep posting interior pictures of the space shuttle? Or are those galleys? Certainly clean enough.

I think the thin aluminum top plate on the plywood is my favorite too. One day.. When all my other projects are complete ;), I want to pull my boards and polish the aluminum. It would surely impress the one guy who sees it.. Me!ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1438744719.907036.jpg

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Coin patterned vinyl flooring with no nap carpet or soft garage mats on top that are easy on the knees and cheap to replace as need be.

Yes..I figured out yesterday afternoon that "coin" studded or coin grip is the proper term in this country. So that led me to find the below. Interesting it and diamond plate are available in a "metallic" version such that they might look like aluminum, but would be softer and easier to cut. But then one wonders how the metallic finish holds up over time...

"Coin-Grip" Rolls PVC Flooring

Measured the main section of my floor yesterday and it's frustrating that no matter what, if in sheet forum I'm going to have large quantities of waste due to each of 4 sections being aprox 26" wide. Two inches less width and would be so much easier.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom