Flooring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

temple1120

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Kelly Anne
Vessel Make
Custom 44' Bruce Roberts
Looking for flooring options - we had the old carpet torn out and my wife oes not want carpet. Looking at alternatives, any ideas on wood or simulated wood products. The flooring contractor is trying to steer us away from wood products as his concerned about humidity. Any help would be great?

Looking for flooring options - we had the old carpet torn out and my wife oes not want carpet. Looking at alternatives, any ideas on wood or simulated wood products. The flooring contractor is trying to steer us away from wood products as his concerned about humidity. Any help would be great?

we had cork in the pilot house and the galley.. almost bullet proof. Its available in about every pattern and color you would want. Depending on install its waterproof.
Hollywood

Drop & Done vinyl planks may do the trick;

Drop & Done photo gallery - Laurentian Sales Flooring - Vancouver, BC

Simple-Stupid, Easy-Peazy stuff to work with...cuts with a carpet knife, can be flush with walls, does not click together, they butt together so if one gets damaged in the middle of a room, you just lift it out and drop another in. Held along edges with double faced carpet tape. If there is any curvature to the floor they may need to be glued down at plank ends.

we had cork in the pilot house and the galley.. almost bullet proof. Its available in about every pattern and color you would want. Depending on install its waterproof.
Hollywood
Thanks. My wife was thinking that may be an option.

Temple,

On our previous boat I used teak and holly plywood finished with MoistureCure urethane. If you are in the northeast, Boulter Plywood in Mass. has good prices for that product.

If your boat has any type of ventilation, the humidity is a non issue. If it was, teak and holly floors would fail. A good second choice would be a pre-finished engineered product. The engineered flooring can be found as thin as 5/16" which may work better than a 3/4" product. Planks will also be easier to install than large sheets of plywood. The wear layer is thick enough to be re-sanded and finished if needed. However, the factory coatings are often better than a field applied finish and warrented for 25 years. You also get a huge number of choices of wood species, stains and finishes. Laminate flooring works also but still has a "plastic" look and feel to me. No doubt laminate will continue to improve until one can not tell the difference.

I have been installing sanding and finishing floors for 51 years and am the third generation of the family to do so. The above is my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it!

Rob

If you find some options please post em' up. I am looking at flooring too. My budget may be carpet for now.

We have Jatoba wood floors in our boat. Also called Brazilian cherry. It's beautiful, but very hard and requires little maintenance. We just scrub it with a rough pad and reoil it once a season.
Lyle

Greetings; Between my berth and the deck I step on Therapi-Too has both issues. All carpet gone. Why, because "she who shall be obeyed" deemed it so. Now to the issue at hand. Currently I am between engineered flooring and vinyl based products. I have seen the Brazilian Cherry and it is awsome, installed in the berth, galleys of a 42 Marinette. Hatches bound with teak. Cost very reasonable as product was from Home Depot on sale. The best part of the product is that it is all wood, clicks and with very few brads stays where placed.
As to the vinyl products they also have an interest, but do not have the class or I suspect longevity of wood, but then again as Murray states easy to install and very replaceable. Bill

Greetings; Between my berth and the deck I step on Therapi-Too has both issues. All carpet gone. Why, because "she who shall be obeyed" deemed it so. Now to the issue at hand. Currently I am between engineered flooring and vinyl based products. I have seen the Brazilian Cherry and it is awsome, installed in the berth, galleys of a 42 Marinette. Hatches bound with teak. Cost very reasonable as product was from Home Depot on sale. The best part of the product is that it is all wood, clicks and with very few brads stays where placed.
As to the vinyl products they also have an interest, but do not have the class or I suspect longevity of wood, but then again as Murray states easy to install and very replaceable. Bill
Thanks

Great: Please share what the alternate Capt has to say, and if you undertake the project keep us all informed. Bill

I have no personal experience with this product, but the interior applications seem like a good idea:

Teak and Holly, Nu Teak Decking

That's essentially whaat I used, but I couldn't get a good response from that company so I ended up with AMTICO which is the same thing:

401357500.jpg

More photos here:

PictureTrail: Online Photo Sharing, Social Network, Image Hosting, Online Photo Albums

Temple1120; That's a beautiful floor. Is it individual planks or veneer on plywood? We are also looking to replace all carpet in our boat and keep looking for the right product.

Temple1120; That's a beautiful floor. Is it individual planks or veneer on plywood? We are also looking to replace all carpet in our boat and keep looking for the right product.

It's my floor. I bought it, I installed it. It's individual planks in a semi flexible material. Individual "teak" and individual "holley". I'm not a flooring mechanic, but I'm no stranger to tools and carpentry.

What makes a project like this more difficult is attention to details. Notice the border around all the edges. No increase in material costs, but more labor. Notice that I didn't just lay a row of planks down, then lay another row. That would leave all the seams in a line and look pretty bad. Also, notice that I have light and dark planks in a random pattern. All dark in a bunch and all light in a bunch would look bad. When laying the patern out, I had to account for the floor hatches so I wouldn't have a cut too close to the edge of a plank.

Speaking of hatches, I had to add wood strips around the hatches because the originals were cut to accomodate carpet and the gap would have been 1/2" wide.

Here is the vendor:

http://www.tampabayyachtmasters.com/

BTW: I also milled the baseboard and some additional trim from a large mahogany board.

Last edited:
We replaced all our flooring with cork. Not the cheap laminate stuff from Lowes but solid cork that has a polyuerthane coating and is glued down.
It has a bit of a sound deadening effect thats a little bonus. It's been in place for about 3 years and looks like new (even with a dog).
It comes in dozens of colours and patterns. We even topped the two little tables in cork to match the floor. Got it on sale for $4/sq.ft

Attachments

• Picture.jpg
    Picture.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

Hey what the wife wants, the wife gets? It’s that simple. :thumb:

Now don’t get me wrong but I look at those non carpeted floors, and can see the cold radiating off. The Eagle has teak flooring though out, which made the boat cold, and noisy. If the boat had carpeting before, be prepared for a noisier boat and/or spending time/money for sound proofing the engine room and wear socks/slipper most of the time. :flowers:

Might want to leave the boat as is and try it with out carpeting for a while as she might change her mind as SO often do. :facepalm: Thank God the furniture is permently mounted.;)

Greetings Boatpoker. Very nice, does the cork come in a roll or planks? Also what did you use around the hatches.

Greetings Boatpoker. Very nice, does the cork come in a roll or planks? Also what did you use around the hatches.

They are cork tiles (12" X 12") and very easy and quick. The trim around the hatches is mahogany trim from Lowes. It took longer to do the trim and install hinges on all the hatches than it did to install the tiles.

Just noticed the place I bought the tiles (see link in previous post) now has them on sale for $3.50/sq.ft.

We used the vinyl planks on our previous boat they are easy to install and are durable. Lots of colors and styles. Inexpensive.

I`ve had cork tiles down in part of my home for 25 years, still ok. Never cold, never hot, nice to walk on, forgiving with dropped glasses/crockery, can be sanded and resealed if necessary, and would go well with timber fitouts. It got pricey, but with so many winemakers using screwtops even for top level wines, probably more cork around for flooring.

I used my boat for an office for 15 years, 8-10 hours a day, 5 days a week. During the last 10 years, the flooring that was in place was Metrofloor Commercial, a plank vinyl product. It is bulletproof and requires little or no care other than a damp mop. You have to pay some attention during the installation process, but I thought it went pretty easy.
randyt

Back
Top Bottom