Old 01-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Chicago/Demopolis
Vessel Name: Kelly Anne
Vessel Model: Custom 44' Bruce Roberts
Flooring

Looking for flooring options - we had the old carpet torn out and my wife oes not want carpet. Looking at alternatives, any ideas on wood or simulated wood products. The flooring contractor is trying to steer us away from wood products as his concerned about humidity. Any help would be great?

temple1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:20 AM   #2
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by temple1120 View Post
Looking for flooring options - we had the old carpet torn out and my wife oes not want carpet. Looking at alternatives, any ideas on wood or simulated wood products. The flooring contractor is trying to steer us away from wood products as his concerned about humidity. Any help would be great?

we had cork in the pilot house and the galley.. almost bullet proof. Its available in about every pattern and color you would want. Depending on install its waterproof.
Hollywood

hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Drop & Done vinyl planks may do the trick;

Drop & Done photo gallery - Laurentian Sales Flooring - Vancouver, BC

Simple-Stupid, Easy-Peazy stuff to work with...cuts with a carpet knife, can be flush with walls, does not click together, they butt together so if one gets damaged in the middle of a room, you just lift it out and drop another in. Held along edges with double faced carpet tape. If there is any curvature to the floor they may need to be glued down at plank ends.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood8118 View Post
we had cork in the pilot house and the galley.. almost bullet proof. Its available in about every pattern and color you would want. Depending on install its waterproof.
Hollywood
Thanks. My wife was thinking that may be an option.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:45 AM   #5

City: Noank, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Temple,

On our previous boat I used teak and holly plywood finished with MoistureCure urethane. If you are in the northeast, Boulter Plywood in Mass. has good prices for that product.

If your boat has any type of ventilation, the humidity is a non issue. If it was, teak and holly floors would fail. A good second choice would be a pre-finished engineered product. The engineered flooring can be found as thin as 5/16" which may work better than a 3/4" product. Planks will also be easier to install than large sheets of plywood. The wear layer is thick enough to be re-sanded and finished if needed. However, the factory coatings are often better than a field applied finish and warrented for 25 years. You also get a huge number of choices of wood species, stains and finishes. Laminate flooring works also but still has a "plastic" look and feel to me. No doubt laminate will continue to improve until one can not tell the difference.

I have been installing sanding and finishing floors for 51 years and am the third generation of the family to do so. The above is my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it!

Rob
Old 01-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
If you find some options please post em' up. I am looking at flooring too. My budget may be carpet for now.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

We have Jatoba wood floors in our boat. Also called Brazilian cherry. It's beautiful, but very hard and requires little maintenance. We just scrub it with a rough pad and reoil it once a season.
Lyle
Norwester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:07 PM   #8

City: Paynters Bay
Vessel Name: Therapi-Too
Vessel Model: 1987 Chris-Craft 381
Greetings; Between my berth and the deck I step on Therapi-Too has both issues. All carpet gone. Why, because "she who shall be obeyed" deemed it so. Now to the issue at hand. Currently I am between engineered flooring and vinyl based products. I have seen the Brazilian Cherry and it is awsome, installed in the berth, galleys of a 42 Marinette. Hatches bound with teak. Cost very reasonable as product was from Home Depot on sale. The best part of the product is that it is all wood, clicks and with very few brads stays where placed.
As to the vinyl products they also have an interest, but do not have the class or I suspect longevity of wood, but then again as Murray states easy to install and very replaceable. Bill
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
I have no personal experience with this product, but the interior applications seem like a good idea:

Teak and Holly, Nu Teak Decking
http://www.pacificnwboater.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
I have no personal experience with this product, but the interior applications seem like a good idea:

Thanks, will run it by my wife
Old 01-06-2013, 03:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Greetings; Between my berth and the deck I step on Therapi-Too has both issues. All carpet gone. Why, because "she who shall be obeyed" deemed it so. Now to the issue at hand. Currently I am between engineered flooring and vinyl based products. I have seen the Brazilian Cherry and it is awsome, installed in the berth, galleys of a 42 Marinette. Hatches bound with teak. Cost very reasonable as product was from Home Depot on sale. The best part of the product is that it is all wood, clicks and with very few brads stays where placed.
As to the vinyl products they also have an interest, but do not have the class or I suspect longevity of wood, but then again as Murray states easy to install and very replaceable. Bill
Thanks
Old 01-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #12

Great: Please share what the alternate Capt has to say, and if you undertake the project keep us all informed. Bill
Old 01-08-2013, 07:58 AM   #13
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post

That's essentially whaat I used, but I couldn't get a good response from that company so I ended up with AMTICO which is the same thing:

More photos here:

PictureTrail: Online Photo Sharing, Social Network, Image Hosting, Online Photo Albums
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
That's essentially whaat I used, but I couldn't get a good response from that company so I ended up with AMTICO which is the same thing:

More photos here:

PictureTrail: Online Photo Sharing, Social Network, Image Hosting, Online Photo Albums
Thanks!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

City: Tampa Bay
Vessel Name: Belle Aurore
Vessel Model: Hatteras LRC 48/53
Temple1120; That's a beautiful floor. Is it individual planks or veneer on plywood? We are also looking to replace all carpet in our boat and keep looking for the right product.
BelleAurore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:57 AM   #16
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleAurore View Post
Temple1120; That's a beautiful floor. Is it individual planks or veneer on plywood? We are also looking to replace all carpet in our boat and keep looking for the right product.
It's my floor. I bought it, I installed it. It's individual planks in a semi flexible material. Individual "teak" and individual "holley". I'm not a flooring mechanic, but I'm no stranger to tools and carpentry.

What makes a project like this more difficult is attention to details. Notice the border around all the edges. No increase in material costs, but more labor. Notice that I didn't just lay a row of planks down, then lay another row. That would leave all the seams in a line and look pretty bad. Also, notice that I have light and dark planks in a random pattern. All dark in a bunch and all light in a bunch would look bad. When laying the patern out, I had to account for the floor hatches so I wouldn't have a cut too close to the edge of a plank.

Speaking of hatches, I had to add wood strips around the hatches because the originals were cut to accomodate carpet and the gap would have been 1/2" wide.

Here is the vendor:

http://www.tampabayyachtmasters.com/

BTW: I also milled the baseboard and some additional trim from a large mahogany board.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #17
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
We replaced all our flooring with cork. Not the cheap laminate stuff from Lowes but solid cork that has a polyuerthane coating and is glued down.
It has a bit of a sound deadening effect thats a little bonus. It's been in place for about 3 years and looks like new (even with a dog).
It comes in dozens of colours and patterns. We even topped the two little tables in cork to match the floor. Got it on sale for $4/sq.ft
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	15488  
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:33 AM   #18
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Quote:
Originally Posted by temple1120 View Post

Hey what the wife wants, the wife gets? Itís that simple.

Now donít get me wrong but I look at those non carpeted floors, and can see the cold radiating off. The Eagle has teak flooring though out, which made the boat cold, and noisy. If the boat had carpeting before, be prepared for a noisier boat and/or spending time/money for sound proofing the engine room and wear socks/slipper most of the time.

Might want to leave the boat as is and try it with out carpeting for a while as she might change her mind as SO often do. Thank God the furniture is permently mounted.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #19

Greetings Boatpoker. Very nice, does the cork come in a roll or planks? Also what did you use around the hatches.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:59 AM   #20
Guru

City: Port Credit
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
Greetings Boatpoker. Very nice, does the cork come in a roll or planks? Also what did you use around the hatches.
They are cork tiles (12" X 12") and very easy and quick. The trim around the hatches is mahogany trim from Lowes. It took longer to do the trim and install hinges on all the hatches than it did to install the tiles.

Just noticed the place I bought the tiles (see link in previous post) now has them on sale for $3.50/sq.ft.

boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote