Old 12-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #1
FF
Guru

Flooring ?

Our boat is a USN Utility, the interior flooring is no skid , a variant of air craft carrier no skid.

Black epoxy with small flint shards , pretty worn down so barefoot is OK, but since I have installed a new cabin top, and 4 opening bronze ports,perhaps a floor upgrade ?

While gluing down teak parquet , or self stick tiles from a box store would work, I winder if anyone has ever used

NewLife by GelPro 20 by 32-Inch Pebble Designer Comfort Mat,

The cabin sole is so limited in area the price would not be outrageous.

Looks both soft , and no skid .

Comments?

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Guru

City: Chocowinity NC
Vessel Name: My Yuki
Vessel Model: 1973 Marine Trader 34
I Googled this stuff, and it seems to have a foam core, and it's got a beveled edge. If you are planning to butt pieces together and cut off the bevels, you might need to seal the edges or find some other means to keep it from delaminating. Sounds like a lot of work. There are a lot of cushioned and non-skid vinyl products that would probably meet your needs and be a whole lot easier to install.

ARoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Our floors are just plywood. I painted them w a fairly dark green floor paint and like the looks of them. Carpets are for yachts and they impede access to the hold and the engine compartment. The floor paint has a very matte finnish and seems to require no anti-skid help. Carpet may reduce engine noise though but unless it's specifically for noise reduction I wouldn't expect much noise reduction.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Guru

City: Cape Cod, MA
Vessel Name: Island Seeker
Vessel Model: Willard 36 Sedan
We had one of those mats in front of our galley sink, they won't last a month as flooring. Below is nice stuff, I liked the grey w/ nickel sized dots on it, I got some samples/ but too expensive for me:
LONSEAL Flooring: MARINE

There are some garage floor products that look like they would do a nice job on your sole and much more reasonable too.

I agree carpet is too yachty, but that is what I ended up with. Grey, in/outdoor, cheap from Lowes. In a cut to fit runner that can be picked up and shaken over the side, sand, doghair and all. Or hosed down and flung over a rail to dry. It is so thin it doesn't dampen much sound but it does keep junk from getting into the hatch cracks which is a plus.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	053.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	14710  
Brooksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #5

City: Paynters Bay
Vessel Name: Therapi-Too
Vessel Model: 1987 Chris-Craft 381
I have taken all my carpets out. Not only do they hold moisture, but can and do grow with smell. Under deck is plywood, but painting is only to protect the wood. I have a friend with a 42 Marinette who has replaced his flooring with engineered flooring, Brazilian Cherry. The product is all wood and locks together. He used a few brads to secure it and it really looks great. As for hatches, a hatch was made where needed. To dress the deck the alternate Captain placed a lovely throw carpet which is easliy removed for cleaning and off the boat during winter storage. The current family of vinyl products available are great and as mentioned earlier no belvel. I am looking at both for a 2013-14 major refit.
For exterior use the vinyl products are first class and are non-skid. Bill
Cyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #6
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
... I winder if anyone has ever used

NewLife by GelPro 20 by 32-Inch Pebble Designer Comfort Mat,

The cabin sole is so limited in area the price would not be outrageous.

Looks both soft , and no skid .

Comments?
3/4" is pretty thick. I'm not sure about funature or anything pointy. My brothernaw has a restauant and behind the bar he has similar looking stuff. It's helps the reduce the sore backs and feet of the staff. Maybe check a restauant supply house for flooring.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
Well, I guess we are yachty as the Eagle is completely carpeted except for the galley. The carpet is cut to size, not tacked/glued down so it can be rolled/taken up. Since the areas are small itís not very expensive to re carpet, and easy using the old as a template. I re carpeted the Salon, 12í X 16í for two hundred buck using a remnant, and took about 4 hour total from start to finish. It does quiet the noise, and the boat is a lot warmer.

We also have accent throw rugs for the high traffic areas. However they cost more than the carpet.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #8
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
I'm currently in the process of making a Teak and Holly Plywood sole in the salon. It can be epoxied into place. I'm not sure if any of the construction adhesives would work. Its a matter of whether the adhesive will stick to the plywood. Make a test area and adhere something down and test it out.
I don't like carpeting in boats. They are major dust collectors, hold the heat in the summer time and wear out fairly rapidly. I have always had plywood or fiberglass floors. In the winter, the admiral usually buys an oval throw rug and throws it out in the spring.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
...Carpet may reduce engine noise though but unless it's specifically for noise reduction I wouldn't expect much noise reduction.
Eric: I think you'd be surprised. We have 4.5 large throw rugs in the salon. When the rugs are off the floor, the engine noise is noticeably louder. Part of the noise reduction is that the rugs cover/seal the hatch seams but the over all noise reduction due to the rugs is significant.
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Larry I like the feedback and will explore possibly using some kind of roll up rug like thing that will work for us. I need to make all new floor/hatch covers and I'll be looking to increase the sound attenuation abilities of the floor. I think moisture in rugs could be greatly minimized by the choice of material used.

Another noise source I have noticed even on my last boat is that sound from the engine seems to come up the way the control cables do to amplify engine noise at the helm. Especially valve noise. Anyone else seem to have simillar noises?

Brooksie,
I love your nice little dinette. Any chance of getting some measurements? Next summer I'd like to take out our L shaped settee and put in a little dinette. Don't know if I have room though. Is your's plenty big? Seems I recall you have a smaller boat too. Thanks if
Thanks

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #11

Noise, engine/generator, is a constant problem and perhaps we should have another site for it. First off, every opening going upward will carry noise. The cable issue and other openings will let sound travel up. One of the problems I have found is how we apply sound deadening products. The sandwich should be built, from deck down in my view as follows: Against the bottom of the deck an impervious product, may foil items are available from builder supplies. Then use ROXUL safe'n sound bats that are fire resistant, water repellent and most importantly are sound proof. Then cover the bats with perferated board and seal the edges with proper tape, (not normal duck tape) or with some other device. The sound will travel thru the holes, be obsorbed by the bat and hit the foil and return thru the bat and out once again thru the holes, if it gets there as dead sound.
Now to the other issue cable openings. Another product which is a putty product, but never ever hardens is Duck seal made by Gardner Bender (www.gardnerbender.com). This product is moisture, noise useful and adheres to metal, wood, plastic, rubber, masonary, and painted surfaces.
Lastly, much noise comes from ridgid exhaust piping. If you are really stressed by the engine noise make your exhaust hoses flexible, the heavier the better. Standard exhaust hose has a pretty thin wall, either rubber or silicone. Take a look at industrial heavy rubber steam hose. It will meet all standards and will obsorb much noise. Bill
Old 12-13-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Perhaps a little "yachty", but I pulled up my boat's 12 year old stained carpet and installed AMTICO teak and holly flooring. It's not teak and holly of course, it's a laminate that's installed in individual strips.

Not the easiest thing I've ever done, but I like the look and I've had lots of compliments on it:

More photos here:

PictureTrail: Online Photo Sharing, Social Network, Image Hosting, Online Photo Albums
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyboats View Post
Brooksie,
I love your nice little dinette. Any chance of getting some measurements? Next summer I'd like to take out our L shaped settee and put in a little dinette. Don't know if I have room though. Is your's plenty big? Seems I recall you have a smaller boat too. Thanks if
Thanks
manyboats, I have many more pictures than I posted earlier under "winter improvement projects" which I can send you if you give me your email, I will find the dimensions to go along with them if I can. I don't really want to take up their space here. Yes, I also removed a settee to install this in my Willard 36. As you can see from the pics, it actually overhangs the hinged engine hatches in an effort to make it as wide as I could. The table is removable and can be dogged down in the cockpit for outside eating and a plywood slab replaces it to make a tight double bunk.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: San Mateo, CA
Vessel Name: Pineapple Girl II
Vessel Model: PT 35
Ron that floor is beautiful. How long did it take to install?
www.pineapple-girl.blogspot.com
Pineapple Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #15

Ron: A wonderful marine job and ehances your pride and joy. Bill
Old 12-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #16
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Thanks both of you. As for how long, I didn't keep track and I didn't work more than a few hours each day. If I had been paying myself marina labor rates, I couldn't have afforded it. And having done it once, I'm sure I could do the next one (not that I'm planning on it) much quicker. If I had to guess, probably 60 hours.

Consider that in addition to the floor, I had to mill a mahogany board for the baseboard and trim and finish it and I had to move the Airconditioning intake upwards to accomodate the baseboard. Oh, and remove the carpet from the sidewall under the seat and apply and trim laminate.

Here's the baseboard and trim and me working in January last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trim03.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	14719   Click image for larger version

Name:	Working01.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	14720  
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #17
Guru

FF, check the advert for "Lonseal Marine Vinyl Flooring", p25 December "Afloat" mag.<www.afloat.com.au>. I saw the product at a boat show,it looked good. Unlikely to be made here,we don`t make stuff, we mostly dig and export.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #18
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
Ron that stuff looks great. I'm going to google it and sure put it on my short list. Thanks Paul
Where do you get it?
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #19
Guru

FF , Lonseal, thats the ling I sent you at the begining of this discussion saying "too expensive" 72" wide and $45./ running foot! Wow
Old 12-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #20
Guru

Swampu, you know that you have to get pecky cypress for all the "wood" surfaces in your boat. It makes excellent floors as well!

twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote