FL 120 leaking water pump - need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boy is that ever true!
Anchors, synthetic oil, oil change intervals, wot running, sea foam, condensation in fuel tanks, nitrogen in tires, poop tank vent filters, electric coolant pumps... all religious dogma, little logic.

I mean why would he be changing his coolant a lot?

Where was it said he changes it a lot?

Regardless of how often, when he does change it his costs for coolant are considerably higher than mine.

I looked at my keel cooled Cummins (has a nice ring to it, eh?) today and the oil cooler is built right into the block, attached to the oil filter, for all 6CTAs. Cooled by coolant from the factory.

Where was it said he changes it a lot?

Regardless of how often, when he does change it his costs for coolant are considerably higher than mine.

Sure. But it's not much spread out over the years of use you get out of it.

Thaaks for the input! Spending $500 on a new pump is not an option right now. So what is the likely issue with my actual pump and how do I fix it? Is it something I can do myself?
The reason for an updated American Diesel pump is not a problem with the actual pump but with the connection to the pump drive on the block, it can fail unexpectedly. Of course the new unit includes a brand new pump.
I second dealing with fredwarner1, helpful and quick. But I bought my updated pumps direct from AD, same price I think.

Quick update on this project. I received the service kit a few days ago and removed the pump from the engine. Disassembled everything as per the schematic provided by Jabsco. It was actually easier than I expected. I replaced the seal that is just after the impeller since that's where the leak was coming from.

However, once all the parts were loose on the counter I had doubts about my ability to put everything back together correctly. :eek: Turns out I must have read the instructions properly as I now have a leak free pump!

That being said, I think I will still order the new pump anyway to have a spare in case it breaks down. When I look at the picture of the new pump, I see gears at the end that attaches to the engine. It's very different from the old pump. How does that work? Do I have to modify something on my engine to make it fit?

Attachments

• IMG_7187.jpg
    IMG_7187.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 5850-0001_Data_Sheet_2000.pdf
    134.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7186.JPG
    IMG_7186.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 83
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 101
Greetings,
Mr. F. Ah yes, the infamous original pump with the "ears" that have been known to break off necessitating a redesign. Hence the new gear style pump. Sorry, can't tell you what, if any, alterations have to be made to fit the new style pump BUT you'll be better off changing out the old pump and keeping IT (the old one) as a spare.

Well done on the rebuild. It's usually better not to have any parts left over...

No modifications needed for the new pump design. It replaced the whole assembly and gets rid of the old adapter block off the timing case. When you swap it out, you'll remove the old adapter and gear. It was a quick and easy install.

Only caveats are the Hoses position a little different (perfect time to replace your raw water intake hoses) and have a couple brass street elbows handy. I installed mine with the ports leaned to one side (bottom tilted out, top tilted in close to block) so injection pump drain plug is still easily accessible.

I had the old pump. It failed, ears broken as I was existing the jetty. Towed back to slip and replaced with the new design.

Greetings,
Mr. A. "...a couple brass street elbows handy." If these are to be used for plumbing raw water shouldn't they be bronze?

I think I see what you mean. That should not be complicated then. Thanks!

Not brass, please, bronze!

I'll have to double check. I believe the elbows I used were brass. Is the pump housing itself not brass? Why is brass bad?

Here is my new pump (probably with the brass elbows I'm not supposed to use). Note how its cocked a little to the side, gives better room for my little funnel to drain the injection pump oil. In fact maybe better space than with the old raw water pump..
IMG_5771.jpg
IMG_5770.jpg

Seawater and brass don't play well together.

This from an article from Steve D'Antonio....
Because many brass alloys contain a substantial amount of zinc, they are especially susceptible to “dezincification,” whereby the zinc selectively corrodes and leaves a porous copper shell that retains its shape but has little strength.

Think about why we use zinc in sacrificial anodes....well it's the same with brass fittings.

The full article has an example of a yacht sinking because of a failed brass water pump fitting and why it was NOT covered by insurance (Corrosion clause)

http://www.proboat.com/2012/07/beware-the-brass/

Last edited:
Avalanche, how did you rotate the pump to make the outlet clear of the injector pump drain? Is the one nut on the red casting all that prevents the pump from rotating?

Avalanche, how did you rotate the pump to make the outlet clear of the injector pump drain? Is the one nut on the red casting all that prevents the pump from rotating?

Correct. You can point it any of 360 degrees worth of direction until the red casting is tightened and hoses are mounted. Pay intention to which is in and which is out. The pump is such that the impeller could spin either direction, as well as the pump could point either direction. I briefly cranked my engine and turned the pump by hand to make sure I had everything going the right way.

Seawater and brass don't play well together.

This from an article from Steve D'Antonio....
Because many brass alloys contain a substantial amount of zinc, they are especially susceptible to “dezincification,” whereby the zinc selectively corrodes and leaves a porous copper shell that retains its shape but has little strength.

Think about why we use zinc in sacrificial anodes....well it's the same with brass fittings.

The full article has an example of a yacht sinking because of a failed brass water pump fitting and why it was NOT covered by insurance (Corrosion clause)

http://www.proboat.com/2012/07/beware-the-brass/

Makes perfect sense

Important?! Only the fuel supply to the engine (where is my sarcasm font, haha).. Previous owners fuel connection, I suppose I ought to clean it up. One of those things that seems normal now after looking at it for four years, and list of priorities is long..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom