Old 10-22-2018, 04:11 PM   #1
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Fisheries Supply Dehumidifier Sale on Now

Saw this on email this AM and thought some here might benefit from the reduced prices now that winter is approaching.

I'd buy if I didn't already have an Eva-Dry 2200. (Thanks for the tip, HopCar!)

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/eva-...1fc2a-86843381

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:28 AM   #2

City: Pompano Beach, FL
You can buy the cooling modules used in these for about $15 on eBay including the fans. Google peltier dehumidifier. But the cheaper ones come on a slow boat from China.

Mkeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:37 AM   #3
Guru

City: Cypress Landing Marina (NC)
Vessel Name: Heron (2)
Vessel Model: '88 Cape Dory 28 Flybridge #115
I've got that 1100 model (under a different name)....35-40 bucks at Amazon. Very pleased with the moisture it pulls out of my boat...
Old 10-25-2018, 12:29 PM   #4
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
How much water do they remove in the winter? They're rated 20 oz/day @ 86°F, 80% humidity?
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:31 PM   #5
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
How much water do they remove in the winter? They're rated 20 oz/day @ 86°F, 80% humidity?

From experience, they are less effective when the temps drop below 40 degrees. They will actually ice up. Even so, last winter I had 2 of the Eva Dry 2000 and one Eva Dry 1000 and it kept the boat nice and dry. Not as dry as a 30 pint compressor dehumidifier, but they worked well.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:44 PM   #6
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Nameless
Vessel Model: 22' Sisu
Dehumidifier

I have had the Eva-dry, used that and a couple of fans through the boat to circulate air and was pleased with the results. Put it close to the sink, drill a small hole and run a line to the sink for 24 hour operation.
Old 10-29-2018, 09:16 PM   #7

City: Orting, WA
Vessel Name: "Meannder"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
I just purchased the 2500 a short time ago. It pulled out about a quart a week on our 30' camano, which is parked in a boat house here in the northwest. After a couple weeks, it dropped own to about a pint a week. We just had the boat out for a rainy weekend so naturally there is more moisture in the boat. We'll see in a couple days how its doing.

So far, its a good buy for the sale price. It does make quite a bit of difference, especially in the forward stateroom, which gets little air circulation unless we run a fan.
toni
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:59 AM   #8
Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
How much power do they use compared to a refrigerant machine? Peltier machines not known for efficiency, right?
Ski in NC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:33 AM   #9
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
Eva Dry 1100 dehumidifier $37.99 free shipping on Ebay.
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 07:47 AM   #10
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
How much power do they use compared to a refrigerant machine? Peltier machines not known for efficiency, right?
Here’s what the manufacturer says for the EDV-2200:

12V DC 6AMP, power consumption of 72W
20.5 oz. of water per day at 86° F and 80% R.H.

We’ve been using one in the Florida summer for 5 years. The boat gets left for 3-4 months and we’ve never any mold or mildew. I do put the 120 vac to 12 vdc converter on a metal cookie sheet though. It gets hot and I’ve read a few reviews that some of had high temperature failures.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:26 AM   #11
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
We've been using the 2200 for years (prior iteration, the new one looks different). In the summer, it just about fills the reservoir over the course of a week. It can and does ice up when it gets cold (below 50 or so), but that won't hurt the unit and during the day when the sun warms the interior of the boat the ice melts and it keeps on chugging. It really makes a difference. A few times in the summer when we forgot to turn it on, the boat was noticeably more humid when we arrived the following weekend. Since using the dehumidifier, we've had no issues with musty boat smells. We may decide to get a timer for this winter so that it only runs during the day when it is warm enough to prevent icing. As noted, the ice won't hurt the unit, but it obviously isn't working very efficiently when it does ice up.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 12:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

City: Westport
Vessel Name: Osprey Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
This was the first time we stored the boat for the summer, in Chesapeake, VA. Set up two Everdry 1100's ...drilled a hole in the water container and put one in the galley sink and one in the head sink. Came back to the boat two weeks ago (3 1/2 months)...and not a spot of mildew. Could not have worked better!
J105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:29 PM   #13
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
I'm curious if anyone has any experience in using one of the bigger dehumidifiers like a Danby rather than several smaller units like the Eva Dry. Also, can the Eva's tolerate freezing if left unattended for a couple months?
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:50 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: JAX, FL
Vessel Name: Hobo
Vessel Model: Krogen 42-120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
I'm curious if anyone has any experience in using one of the bigger dehumidifiers like a Danby rather than several smaller units like the Eva Dry. Also, can the Eva's tolerate freezing if left unattended for a couple months?
I know a few that have used a Danby or equivalent on their boats in the summer. They all commented on dry their boats were.

I'd be afraid of running a (any) dehumidifier in freezing temperatures. The unit should generate enough heat so it won't freeze but what about the water that's being removed from the air. Most discharge the water into a sink drain. If that freezes?
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:14 AM   #15
Guru

City: Holladay, UT
Vessel Name: Dream Catcher
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37-065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
Hi Ken,

I've been using a PerfectAire. Documentation is on the boat, so I'm not sure which model. Might be 30pt, maybe 50pt.

It sits on the galley counter, and drains via hose directly into the sink. Keeps humidity around 45%. With two Caframo heaters, one in the fwd stateroom and one aft, the NT37 stays in good shape through winter in Poulsbo.
RCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 12:09 PM   #16

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
I do similar to Richard on Dreamcatcher. I have a 30 pint dehumidifier sitting on the galley counter draining directly to the sink. I have a Wolverine pan heater on the Cummins in the ER with the air vents closed using foam. I also use a small heater with dry as air containers in the forward cabin. This keeps the boat at 45% humidity, and at a temperature of about 50 degrees. I leave the floor hatches open.

I oil all of the wood 2 times a year (fall and spring) to try to keep it from drying out too much. So far, the boat gets through the winter in very good shape.
Regards,
Tom
Old 11-01-2018, 12:40 PM   #17
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
Here’s what the manufacturer says for the EDV-2200:

12V DC 6AMP, power consumption of 72W
20.5 oz. of water per day at 86° F and 80% R.H.

We’ve been using one in the Florida summer for 5 years. The boat gets left for 3-4 months and we’ve never any mold or mildew. I do put the 120 vac to 12 vdc converter on a metal cookie sheet though. It gets hot and I’ve read a few reviews that some of had high temperature failures.

Good point. I've noticed the same thing. Usually, mine are set on a granite countertop so heat isn't a concern. I've also had one of the EvaDry 2000 units fail at the internal wiring after being used for 3 years 24/7.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #18
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
I did a science fair project on the Peltier Effect in Jr High.
I used it in reverse of the dehumidifiers. I heated it with s propane torch and produced electricity. It’s a very strange thing. I was able to light a small flashlight bulb.
Old 11-01-2018, 01:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver
Vessel Name: NorWyn
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
Had one of the small units and did not find it very effective. Pulled about a pint a week. Prefer not to mention brand.

We now have a 30 pint unit similar to a Danby which pulls about 30 pints every three days in our area.

It makes a huge difference. We boat all winter and no longer have any issues with developing mold or clammy bedding on overnight trips. Also have a hygrometer to monitor healthy humidity level on board and to compare against what the read out on the unit is.

The boat is absolutely dry.

One on the best purchases we have made. Watch for sales at the big box stores and you can get a decent one for $150-$200.

Only gripe, is finding one that takes up as little space as possible but the benefits far outweigh the negatives...at least for us.
NorWyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 04:09 PM   #20
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
When not on the boat we set the A/C to the dehumidifier setting. Never had a mildew problem.

Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote