Finger pulls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forkliftt

Guru
Vessel Name
KnotDoneYet
Vessel Make
1983 42' Present Sundeck
Hey guys, I am trying to locate teak finger pulls with a 1" OD but no luck. Any suggestions?
img_162090_0_25d21762049c966f3cb2ab1046e391a1.jpg

Google search for "1" teak finger pulls"on the net turns up lots of hits.
West Marine sell them.

Problem is, the 1" is depth, not OD(see pic). I even called Whitecap but no luck.

Problem is, the 1" is depth, not OD(see pic). I even called Whitecap but no luck.

Have you tried H & L Marine Woodwork? I think they are in Compton, CA. They are great to work with on custom stuff. If they don't have them, they would probably make them.

Hi Forklift, Have you measured those Whitecap pulls? I think they are designed to fit into 1" ID holes. The label says they have an OD of 1-1/4" but I think that is refering to the OD of the flange. Maybe I'm confused, as usual.

Thanks for the responses guys. They are 1 1/4" OD and I don't have room to fit the extra 1/4". I sure would think it would be everyday stuff from a Taiwan yard. I will give H and L a call, but was sure hoping not to have custom made.

Don, Sad story. I got an answer at H and L but the lady told me they were shutting down and offered no help.

Don, Sad story. I got an answer at H and L but the lady told me they were shutting down and offered no help.

Man, that's a sad state of affairs. I have been dealing with them since back in the 70s or 80s. They did alot of custom lourver teak doors for me. I've never had a problem with their work. Good people.

I have had a couple of others do some. I'll try to look back in the files to see if they can be found.

Bummer!!!!

They look like they may be relatively easy to make. start with a block of teak of appropriate thickness. use a hole saw of appropriate size in a drill press, drill the O.D. of the flange to about 3/8" deep. drill the pilot hole thru the block. Turn the block over and drill the O.D. of the barrel to about 1/4' of the other side. Turn over again and drill the flange O.D. thru the block. Remove the slug (finger pull) from the hole saw. then drill the I.D. with another hole saw of appropriate Diameter. Finish by sawing the O.D. of the flange to the O.D. of the barrel and rotating around until sawed all the way around. Not the easiest thing in the world but not too hard either. All you need is a drill press, three appropriate size hole saws. a drill press vise, and a saw. after thinking about it, it may be better to drill the finger I.D. right after the flange O.D. and before drilling the barrel O.D. Oh the fun that can be had with tools.

Craig

Don, that may be them. I sent an email to find out. If its not, I may attempt Cap'n Craig's suggestion!

Update. Problem solved

Hey guys, after running an ad on Craigslist for someone to cut these down with a wood lathe, and getting no results, I went a new route. Baton Rouge recently had a third generation hydraulic repair shop close down due to health reasons and I was able to purchase a Craftsman/ Atlas 12 x 36 metal lathe (1985 vintage) from the liquidation. A few missing parts purchased on eBay and I'm in business! I turned down a mandrel with a piece of oak round rod for a light press fit and then slipped the ginger pulls on and cut to the needed diameter. Had a blast cutting them too :)

Last edited:
Hey guys, after running an ad on Craigslist for someone to cut these down with a wood lathe, and getting no results, I went a new route. Baton Rouge recently had a third generation hydraulic repair shop close down due to health reasons and I was able to purchase a Craftsman/ Atlas 12 x 36 metal lathe (1985 vintage) from the liquidation. A few missing parts purchased on eBay and I'm in business! I turned down a mandrel with a piece of oak round rod for a light press fit and then slipped the ginger pulls on and cut to the needed diameter. Had a blast cutting them too :)

Probably the most expensive finger pull you'll ever purchase. ;)

Forkliftt,I would love to have that lathe . I was a machinist for 20 years in Memphis . I've got a part being made right now for my new/old windlass.I could make it myself but I don't have a lathe .I would like one of those lathe / milling machine combos. Have fun with it.

pull-my-finger-demotivational-poster-1216127181.jpg
162b3754af4174e979d0b8816a1a19f0d14f28d2163845e17cd68a18d1e190be.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the kind words.

I'm gonna attempt to post a picture again. Hmmmm. No luck with the iphone 5. It lets me pick off my camera roll but doesn't show in posting? Any have any ideas.

Another try.

Did it post?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 73
What??

There's my picture- although a little late.... Bear with me as I try again.

Great solution to the problem!! And now you've got this great lathe to play.....errrr...work with. Well done!

Pack Mule, maybe it's time to plan a little time off and a vacation in Gulfport!

Hey Al
It's great place for boating. The recently but $40 M marina here is very nice. Fishing, beaches and great restaurants abound!!

Still fiddling
img_223506_0_0f4dd69fb5ecc12fc8fa27bc2e9e3379.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Steve's next attempt

Pic??

I bought a Clausing 12x36 lathe and a Bridgeport mill about 15 years ago. I don't use them that often (maybe once or twice a week), but when I use them, "coming in handy" is the understatement of the century!!!

Four super handy tools:

Engine Lathe
Vertical Mill
Plasma Cutter
Tig Welder

I was working in the shop one day and a buddy pulled up to the dock in his new zippy jet ski. He watched me work and stated that those cool machines had to be super expensive.

I said all four cost less than his jet ski!!

About $1000 to $2000 each, machine tools used, cutter and welder new.

Best purchases I have ever made.

And yes, and engine lathe makes quick work of wood. So does the mill. The cutter and welder, not so good!!

Hey Ski
Man, you hit the other big 3 on my list. Plasma cutter, TIG for aluminum and the milling machine. I see milling attachments listed on ebay for my lathe and might consider one of those to save room in the shop.
AND, I'm gonna hopefully throw a few pictures in this post of my project that required the finger pulls. And a shout out to Craig (CPseudonym) for the help!!

Attachments

• image-854334724.jpg
    image-854334724.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 61
  • image-1052724653.jpg
    image-1052724653.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 66
  • image-294388864.jpg
    image-294388864.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 61

Latest posts

Back