Go Back   Trawler Forum > Maintenance and Systems > General Maintenance

Old 04-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #21
City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Capt. Craig: Regarding the burnished spots,.....by mistake while testing a biodegradable stripper called Multistrip (purchased at Home Depot), I saw that some screw hole staining (from cheap stainless screws) on my teak rail was made much worse by sanding the area, but then the stain was lifted very nicely by the stripper. Looks OK now.

If you are sanding the charcoal, for sure it is bound to stain beneath. Just thought I'd mention this.

healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #22

I couldn't find Multistrip tonite but I did try a different brand of biodegradable stripper. It didn't seem to do much. I redid the bleaching process, and scrubbed it with a relatively soft stainless toothbrush. I scrubbed off a fair amount of dark woodfiber. I can't tell what it will look like when it dries, But I suspect it will be a bit better. I am about at the point of saying I give up and living with it.

You mentioned something I didn't know though. Will stainless screws discolor teak? The screws holding the window trim were brass or bronze. The doors have been refinished multiple times in the past by someone who didn't have any restraint using a sander. The brass screws were slightly higher than the surrounding wood since the wood had been sanded away. Most of the screws had been sanded to the point that that the phillips sockets were very shallow. I decided it was time to pull the screws, recountersink the holes deeper and put new screws in before it became impossible to remove the old ones. I had to make a decision to use cheap brass which in my experience are darn easy to strip or twist off or stainless (18-8). I opted for stainless. Was that a mistake? Should I have bit the bullit and ordered bronze?

Capn Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #23
City: North Charleston, SC
Originally Posted by theran5317 View Post
We always called these "Cabinet Scrapers". They work very well, and leave an exceptionally smooth surface. You do not use heat with these, as it will clog the burnished edge that does the cutting. This is akin to using 600+ Paper in smoothness. These will scrape neat little curls similar to what comes off with a wood plane, but much thinner.
Yes, cabinet scrapers. The resulting finish is not only smooth, but flat.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #24
City: Duncan Cove, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
Stainless screws in teak will almost always leave black streaks/staining if there is moisture present. Look at many old teak decks. Bronze is best but hard to find and needs to be good quality.

Xsbank is offline   Reply With Quote