Old 05-28-2014, 05:15 PM   #21
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by ges74 View Post
That sounds exactly like my issue! What would you suggest, then, as an overall process? Forget the heat gun/scraper and just sand or use chemical stripper instead? Or heat gun/scrape first, then sand?

Many, many thanks to you and the other folks who have replied thus far!

GES
It's kind of hard to say with out knowing just what type of finish is on the chairs. But I would at least try a stripper made to remove polys. Or perhaps consider taking them to a professional finish remover and the refinish then yourself.

Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #22
Guru

It`s unfortunate the "heat and scrape" followed by sanding method is not working. Try persisting with heat on an unseen area to see if you can get the varnish to bubble ready to scrape.
I dislike the mess and dangers of chemical stripper but there may be no alternative. Do not use a commercial stripper (of any kind) to do the job without knowing how it will be done. Here things went into a caustic soda bath, the finish came off but the white residue left in the grain of some valuable pieces of Australian red cedar furniture(nothing like pine type cedar) was ugly.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:47 AM   #23

City: Springfield, VA
Thanks to all of you for your replies

Before I invest in the pull scraper I will experiment with Citristrip and report back with results.
Thanks again!
GES
ges74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 10:55 AM   #24

City: Everett
Vessel Name: Note by Note
Vessel Model: 34 DeFever
My favorite scrapper has a 1" blade. If you get much more than 1.25", you'll have a harder time cutting through the varnish.

As others have said, keep the blade sharp with a big flat file.

Sharpen often, but don't sharpen on the boat. The filings will leave rust stains. I usually get off the boat, and sharpen while holding the scrapper over the edge of the dock.

I've used citrus based strippers as well. They're great for curved work, but often require a couple of overnight soakings to remove everything.
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:23 PM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Taunton, MA.
Vessel Name: Navy Whale
Vessel Model: 41' MMC Defever Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc View Post
My favorite scrapper has a 1" blade. If you get much more than 1.25", you'll have a harder time cutting through the varnish.

As others have said, keep the blade sharp with a big flat file.

Sharpen often, but don't sharpen on the boat. The filings will leave rust stains. I usually get off the boat, and sharpen while holding the scrapper over the edge of the dock.

I've used citrus based strippers as well. They're great for curved work, but often require a couple of overnight soakings to remove everything.

I concur!
Pinball63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 10:30 PM   #26
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
The Finer Points of Heat Gun and Scrape

I've just gone through this procedure. I have the Stanley Fat Max with the 2" flat attachment. I turn it on high power, and let it warm up. Once hot I put it right on the wood and keep it moving along slowly, pushing the putty knife 1" blade directly behind. No fancy scrapers or other stuff. All finish comes off in most cases. Very old and weathered finish is more difficult. Newer finish bubbles up and comes off easily. Sanding is ultimately required afterwards. It is a slow process and requires patience. Overall, I am pleased with the methods I use. There is no "cooking" or burning of the wood.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #27
Guru

City: Avalon, NJ
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
I've just gone through this procedure. I have the Stanley Fat Max with the 2" flat attachment. I turn it on high power, and let it warm up. Once hot I put it right on the wood and keep it moving along slowly, pushing the putty knife 1" blade directly behind. No fancy scrapers or other stuff. All finish comes off in most cases. Very old and weathered finish is more difficult. Newer finish bubbles up and comes off easily. Sanding is ultimately required afterwards. It is a slow process and requires patience. Overall, I am pleased with the methods I use. There is no "cooking" or burning of the wood.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
Pretty much what I am doing too...

....doing a few feet every night instead of starting happy hour one drink earlier...

psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote