Old 10-31-2015, 08:42 AM   #1

City: bradenton beach
1980 island gypsy

I am looking to paint some of the previously stained and polyurethaned wood and was wondering if I should have any concerns about lead exposure.
Also does anyone have suggestions for type of primer to use.
Thanks for your thoughts.
strader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:54 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Mr. s. Might I suggest before you prime or paint that you give the wood a good coat of poly or varnish. IF at any time in the future you or the next owner wish to restore the brightwork, the paint should not have soaked into the grain of the wood making a re-finish difficult if not impossible.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:57 PM   #3

City: bradenton beach
I appreciate the quick reply. While I do not plan to go crazy with paint there are a few places I would like to lighten up. Even re-coating is going to be a challenge. The previous owner suffered a major health crisis and the boat sat in our wonderful south Florida climate for over a year. The current interior varnish literally peals away with tape and light cleaning.
strader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:30 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sarasota/Ft. Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by strader View Post
was wondering if I should have any concerns about lead exposure.

Also does anyone have suggestions for type of primer to use.
No.

Interlux 404 two part epoxy primer.
Capt.Bill11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:40 PM   #5
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr.s. From the sound of it you're going to have to prep your surfaces in any case. Your call entirely but I would still suggest after prep, a coat or two of clear sealer of some sort THEN your paint finish. The sealer could be considered a primer coat. I'm sure you could find a clear coat compatible with your finish coat given the wide variety of paint chemistries available. Could be you'll like the clear coat "primer" and elect to keep it.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:55 AM   #6
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by strader View Post
I am looking to paint some of the previously stained and polyurethaned wood and was wondering if I should have any concerns about lead exposure.
Fairly sure lead ceased to be a paint component well before 1980. I doubt it was ever in varnish, never gave it a thought when sanding my varnish before recoating with more varnish. Temperatures here can be hot, I`ve never heard of general varnish failure on an IG, I suspect other causes, like moisture entry, or a poor previous refinish. If the suspect areas are around windows, that`s not unusual due to water ingress, mine were painted by a PO to disguise water damage.
BruceK is online now   Reply With Quote