Finally found my leak, now need to fix it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An alarm is a good idea since it will grab your attention NOW. A guage will not even if you check it often. Too often our attention is occupied by other duties that are equally important so a guage change can be missed. Even boredom can take its toll on your attention no matter how good your intentions are.

Having two guages, one at each of the two helms is good too but use an alarm also. It could save your engine. Check the lowest oil pressure the guage shows and get a switch with a trip point just a little under to avoid nuisance alarms.

I'll mention that for the first TEE , the one that actually screws into the engine block, use a STEEL HYDRAULIC fitting. They are MUCH stronger and more vibration resistant than the brass fittings the picture shows. Then the second TEE could be brass as it only has its own and the sender weight to hold. A forged brass fitting is much stronger than the extruded brass fittings in the photo.

Use a sealer for the threads. You won't have to wind it in as tight as the sealer will seal instead of using the metal/metal contact to effect the seal. It will still make metal/metal but you don't need to crush the metals together.

Check with a multimeter, ohms, if you are questioning the grounding. Or purchase senders that have an isolated or floating ground. Just means you must then run a dedicated ground wire to a convenient spot/bolt.

I also think Hopcar has a point about a crack developing in that first TEE since it was leak free untill recently.

Last edited:
I gotta say. The only time i've had a catastrophic engine oil pressure issue it was caused by the oil pressure alarm switch letting go. I've seen this once in my boat and once on a roommates car. A TR 7.

Ive also had 2 or 3 oil switches fail stuck closed in alarm mode. On boats. Saying all this i still value their fast/audible capabilities.

Today went to the boat to fix my leak. Unscrew everything, removed the old teflon tape that was falling apart, used permatex high temp sealant, and remount everything. Oil pressure gauge working fine. Tomorrow my parents visiting from France and us are leaving for a few days cruise on the Rideau, it will be a good pressure test.
Below few pics of the fittings:

IMG_0330.JPG
IMG_0331.JPG
IMG_0334.JPG
IMG_0337.JPG

L

Today went to the boat to fix my leak. Unscrew everything, removed the old teflon tape that was falling apart, used permatex high temp sealant, and remount everything. Oil pressure gauge working fine. Tomorrow my parents visiting from France and us are leaving for a few days cruise on the Rideau, it will be a good pressure test.
Below few pics of the fittings:

View attachment 68299
View attachment 68300
View attachment 68301
View attachment 68302

L

Verdict: After a 3h run we are docked and there is no more any leak, oil pressure senders both working perfectly.
1 problem down, thousands to go ;)

L

Back
Top Bottom